3 inch boka

Reflux still design and discussion

3 inch boka

Postby TJM » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:51 am

So this is my boka made from 3 inch and its 1.5m on top of the keg. This is my first still and it seems runs pretty good it put out my first 94% yesterday but there is still some things i want to add like a second condensor, a parrot i think there called and i have an electric element and 3inch analog thermometer on its way. Shes not polished up yet ill do that once im finished. cheers fellas
030resize.jpg
029resize.jpg
027resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TJM

Re: 3 inch boka

Postby TJM » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:55 am

037resize.jpg
034resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TJM

Postby R-sole » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:07 pm

It needs to be insulated. you don't need a parrot for reflux runs, it will just smear your cuts.

You need a digital thermometer that will read to .1 of a degree resolution in my experience. An analog one won't cut it.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby TJM » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Yeah I have it insulated when I'm running it, noticed a huge difference. I finished the reflux run today and took 3L of 92-95% and there was probably 3L of 35% smelly shit. From a 29l wash. Should I be expecting a bit more or is this average?
TJM

Postby R-sole » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:44 pm

I couldn't tell you mate. I run stripped washes in my reflux (once a year when it runs) at 40%abv.

If you take your abv of the wash and times it by the total volume to get how much 100% alcohol in your wash it should give you some idea as to potential yields.

All the 'smeely shit' that comes out first and last is reclaimable alcohol up to a point. Just run it out on fast heat, save it seperate and tip it in next time you run.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to Reflux Stills