Still Spirits Artisian Condenser

Reflux still design and discussion

Still Spirits Artisian Condenser

Postby Bigmadz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:43 pm

Gents

I'm running a T500 at the moment and am well aware that this unit cannot be detuned to run as a pot still. I'm keen to make some flavored washes and am in the market for a pot still

Unfortunately i haven't got the time or space to build my own, and I don't think my missus would like me setting up a keg and gas burner in the laundry, so I'm keen to keep using the T500 boiler and replace the T500 condenser with an Artisan Copper Condenser, as i hear this can be run as a pot still.

Anyone here have any experience with this condenser and if its worth while spending the coin?

Cheers
Bigmadz

equipment: T500 Boiler
Reflux Column
Custom Copper Pot Head

50lt Keg that's itching to be turned into a boiler

Re: Still Spirits Artisian Condenser

Postby Canadoz » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Bigmadz wrote:Gents

I'm running a T500 at the moment and am well aware that this unit cannot be detuned to run as a pot still. I'm keen to make some flavored washes and am in the market for a pot still

Unfortunately i haven't got the time or space to build my own, and I don't think my missus would like me setting up a keg and gas burner in the laundry, so I'm keen to keep using the T500 boiler and replace the T500 condenser with an Artisan Copper Condenser, as i hear this can be run as a pot still.

Anyone here have any experience with this condenser and if its worth while spending the coin?

Cheers

Haven't any experience with them but those things are really expensive ($500-600 IIRC) if all you want is a potstill.
Somebody on here could undoubtedly build you something much better suited to the job for a LOT cheaper if you ask around.
If I had the time and was a bit more experienced at soldering, I'd offer to do it myself.
Just a thought
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby Stinger » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:14 am

Bigmadz wrote:Gents

I'm running a T500 at the moment and am well aware that this unit cannot be detuned to run as a pot still. I'm keen to make some flavored washes.....

Cheers

If I had as T500 I'd try this method before spending any more on it:

Add ALL the heads and tails of a flavoured wash to the next wash and run it for max abv - same as if you're aiming for highest abv. After several generations good flavour will come over into the hearts.

Who knows, you might impress the Missus enough for her to support the purchase/build of a bubbler. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Stinger

equipment: 3" CM/pot still, 4" bubbler

Postby crow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:17 am

PM Mac or JayD bud, they are good fella's and will get you sorted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby codieb » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:59 pm

I have the Artisian Condenser but i brought it from the manufacturers in NZ for $330nzd but I also have the pot still attachment for the boiler. And in all honestly I have only used the copper condenser 3-4 times in 6 months, whereas I use the pot still at least 2 times a week. I use the pot still for whisky, rum and neutral stripping runs.

I have used the copper condenser once with out the packaging and found it very fidgety to get the coolant temps correct etc so haven't bothered again. I have also had to build an extension column to add to the copper condenser to get 95%. If i was you as you already have the t500 for neutral I would buy the pot still attachment or get someone to build you one as this will be way more versatile. Hope this helps.
codieb

equipment: Pot Still and Copper T500 with extension column

Postby _TK_ » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:18 pm

If u have t500 for neutrals pot still from one of members on here is way to go for sure mate. STill spirits artisan Copper condenser can be run in reflux mode or hybrid pot still mode (same h2o colant going throug product condenser and RC)

For neutrals it will probably need packed extension SS do not sell those extensions. For flavor it works well in pot still mode however if I'm in your shoes go with made pot still - in this case you will need to get 50l keg as a boiler (not sure if t500 boiler will support new pot still)

If u still would like to buy ss artisan copper condenser send me pm as I hav one on offer - u can see it in classifieles section

Cheers
_TK_

equipment: bottle of rum and shot glass

Postby Bigmadz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks for all the feedback

I'm not too sure if the T500 boiler lid would support a home build pothead, which is why i was asking about the Artisan. I realise its extremely pricey, but the predicament of me stilling in the wife's laundry prevents me from purchasing a 50lt keg with a burner.

I have noticed Still Spirits do a Pot still that can be attached to the T500 with some mods, but cant find any local retailers in WA that sell them.

So I'm still stuck.
Bigmadz

equipment: T500 Boiler
Reflux Column
Custom Copper Pot Head

50lt Keg that's itching to be turned into a boiler

Postby crow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:03 pm

a lot of ppl have pots on t500 lids, most buy a separate lid (just under the $30 mark) so as not to have to change heads :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:01 pm

Build or get something like this built, it will work fine and be a heap cheaper, you will need a voltage controller of some sort to use it for spirit runs though.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Becksman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Hi everyone I actually need very quick help
I am going to buy T500 boiler with spirits artisan copper condenser still for 450$
And I'm not sur how to test it and it is scond hand
So please help me and is it good or not
Cheers
Becksman

equipment: I'm just making beer for now and I'm looking for an advice to buy a distiller because I want to start making spirits.

Postby Sam. » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Becksman wrote:Hi everyone I actually need very quick help
I am going to buy T500 boiler with spirits artisan copper condenser still for 450$
Cheers

Maybe try here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby 7evan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:31 pm

Becksman wrote:Hi everyone I actually need very quick help
Cheers

Sam has quoted the correct post for you to read mate.

Slow down bud. This hobby is not the kind you rush into. It's no fluke that all the good booze has been aged for 12+ years!
Going by your lack of posts I'm guessing that you haven't researched anywhere near enough. Make your way over to the welcome centre to introduce yourself then onto the newbies corner to get learnded... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
7evan

equipment: FSD/COPPER handmade crossbred bubbler!
Itailian Spiral Burner with HP Reg

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:58 pm

Okay, as the others have said slow down. If you miss that still its no great loss as you can buy one for far far less brand new if you look around.
ask yourself what do you like to drink.
I can assure you that you will outgrow a artisan t500 or any similar still very quickly.
but to answer your question
If the element heats up, and it looks like the rest of the still is in good condition with no cracks or dings that could cause a leak the still should be okay. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also not all T500 boilers are the same some have bigger/better elements....
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Hiya becksman.

Years ago When I was into Home-brew Wines ,I would always take a glance at the stills on the shelf in the Home Brew shops (HBS)...that's where we all get the Idea in our heads.

I rushed out and bought a HBS still but it made horrid stuff for years before I found Home distiller Forum ( Before this or others existed).It was only after about 6 months of constant reading that I could finally understand what it was I really wanted .

Like the others have said ,and its not to be taken offensively , .....just don't jump at the first or second still you see .......read a bit and then you can make an informed decision

Goodluck and hope to see you round here a bit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Return to Reflux Stills