Temp sensor for tall reflux

Reflux still design and discussion

Temp sensor for tall reflux

Postby FireKitty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi guys,

Bought a secondhand homemade reflux still with keg still. Due to privacy issues operating it outdoors (and nervousness around a naked flame), I want to operate it indoors on my electric stove elements. However, this would make reading the temperature from the top of the column difficult at is just about reaches my ceiling when assembled and sitting on my stove (in fact I have a glass thermometer that came with it, and has to be pushed well into the column in order to fit under the ceiling - I can only just read it for the 70degC range).

Would anyone see any issues if I used this probe:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-LCD-Probe-Fridge-Freezer-Thermometer-Thermograph-for-Refrigerator-/310754204874

Otherwise, does anyone know of similar/better alternatives that are wallet-friendly?
Cheers :)
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Re: Temp sensor for tall reflux

Postby jim » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:04 pm

The sample rate on it is a little slow, but it would probably work fine.

I use this

With that you can put a probe at the base and top of your column and you can monitor how much alc is left in your boiler.

Just read your post a second time, it looks like your thermometer is coming directly in contact with the distillate, which is fine for a glass thermo, but not so fine for the plastic cord on the digital one. Best way to go is to build/buy a thermo port which is sealed from the distillate, but allows you to measure temps.
jim

equipment: Modular 3" diameter VM/LM/pot still.

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:39 pm

You're also going to have trouble operating a still that big on an electric stove... The heat cycling on/off isn't ideal.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:You're also going to have trouble operating a still that big on an electric stove... The heat cycling on/off isn't ideal.

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :text-+1:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby FireKitty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks guys!

I was stressing about the setup being on the stove, given that I live in a rental at the moment, and such a high setup could only be a pain.

I've actually only just discovered that I can modify the keg-still with an electric heater element, eliminating the stove altogether and allowing me to sit it on my laundry floor while it's running. Now all I have to do is figure out which element on eBay suits best, and how to cut the hole precisely ;)
FireKitty

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 pm

I think you'll be best off looking at 5 Star Distilling gear :handgestures-thumbupleft: look on the homepage for the store.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby TassieStiller » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I think you'll be best off looking at 5 Star Distilling gear :handgestures-thumbupleft: look on the homepage for the store.

:text-+1:

I cannot recommend high enough 5 Star Distilling Elements. I have a 3.6kW one and the build quality is fantastic. I have two other elements from two other different suppliers and the one from 5SD is easily the best and quite well priced. Be sure to gett he element shroud/guard as well if you can :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Postby FireKitty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:08 am

Due to having a keg still with a *very* narrow mouth, I think I'll be going the way of the weldless at this stage, and yes am looking into one of the 5Star ones :)

Once I get that fitted (once my drill bit comes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way from China... So in a week or 2 :( ) I hope to run the still on my laundry floor, had a question about that - should I place the kegStill straight on the tile floor, or what should I have underneath it? Would it scorch or leave marks on tiles/grout?

Speaking of fitting an element, how far up from the bottom of kegStill should I install it?

Also wondering, for stripping run, what should I use as a collection vessel? I take it that food grade buckets might be out due to concentration. I have already bought a series of glass bottles to use as collection/grading for my proper spirits run (making cuts etc), however as I understand it, it doesn't sound like people are making cuts as such for the stripping run, so was wondering what the 'norm' is there.

Any other advice for a noob with such equipment running in laundry? Ventilation etc?

I will try and post a pic of my setup soon so I might ask and get an estimate of what my keg capacity is.

Thanks in advance!

FireKitty
FireKitty

Postby crow » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:45 am

no I doubt it but why not get 3 bricks to sit it on :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:53 am

I would just use a rubber door mat, or carpet tile so you dont scratch the tiles on your laundry floor :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby res » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:16 pm

[quote="FireKitty"]Due to having a keg still with a *very* narrow mouth, I think I'll be going the way of the weldless at this stage, and yes am looking into one of the 5Star ones :)

Once I get that fitted (once my drill bit comes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way from China... So in a week or 2

I went the weldless path for a HLT I made and plan to do the same for the boiler I'm putting together now, those ebay step drill bits work ok, better with a little cutting oil and SO much better with a drill you can turn the speed way down on.
Good luck with it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:30 pm

res wrote: those ebay step drill bits work ok, better with a little cutting oil and SO much better with a drill you can turn the speed way down on.
Good luck with it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: WD40 works OK for a cutting Lube , and go real slow .Stainless gets real hot real fast
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby FireKitty » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:33 pm

How do I apply cutting oil (ie WD40), am I spraying as I'm drilling or just apply to the area beforehand?
FireKitty

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Spray while drilling .it'll run off,things will start to smoke .Spray some more.

Drill in one hand ,can in the other
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Spray it on your drill bit, drill, repeat. Don't let your bit get hot otherwise it'll stuff the coating and your bit won't get through anything. I've got a stepped bit that I was a bit lazy on the cutting fluid and where the coating is stuffed it won't even cut copper. It was a bunnings bit and I've also got some of those eBay ones and they are going strong still... after I learnt my lesson.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby drunkmore » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:45 am

:text-+1:
Stainless also hardens when it gets hot so as these guys said slooooow is good don't forget that you need to wash /clean the oil off and out when your done, hot vinegar should do. I think nappy San will get the oil out too.so maybe rinse your keg with that.
I dont know what your rental is like but i put up a tarp when i didnt have i private place to run on gas. One neighbour got nosy enough to ask, s told him I was a part time photographer and we were doing nude photo shoot so needed privacy. I couldn't believe he bought it. :scared-eek:
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Return to Reflux Stills