Still Spirits Super Reflux ideas / modifications

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Still Spirits Super Reflux ideas / modifications

Postby Mad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:19 pm

Here's a couple of projects I got on the go. Got an extension column made for the ss reflux head will test it out this wknd it has a 40mm hole in the bottom so I can easily pack it unlike the top part. The parrot is my first attempt at brazing haven't cleaned it up yet but it doesn't leak! And the control box will be moved into the stainless box with a 24v fan to keep the regulator cool. All to b finished tested and used over the weekend - well that's my plan but I'm solo looking after 2 kids this weekend also
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby wildburkey » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Nice work M8, with skills like you got I'd be slapping together a BOKA.
wildburkey

equipment: Still Spirits Super Reflux :-(

Postby Mad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:55 pm

Pfft my skill is delegation. Boily at work knocked up the extension haha. I got the pipe sitting there for a boka from Ben just 1 of 30 projects at as always
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby Mad » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:16 pm

All done except for parrot had some technical difficulties and the parrot lost. Extension tube im not sold on its benifits yet i havent seen any improvment from using it and just weird to control flow rates at present. So not sure if id suggest bothering with it for anyone thinking about it.
Mad

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:04 am

I would not have any packing in the reduced section,where the still joins the extension ,as it may restrict the reflux from returning to the boiler.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby benpandaae86 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:28 pm

I love the zip ties on ya water lines thats gold
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Mad » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:20 am

Ahh hillz maybe thats whats happend and why im not getting higher than 90%!!! I just jmmed in the packing from the bottom its probsbly gone and blocked up the reduced area!!!! Your a fkn legend!!!!! New water hose to split off reflux and pc and fixing that little cherry i should b in business i hope might unpack the extension a bit make it loosely fitting keep it thicker up top the top by itself would pull 93.2% i thort the extension would help not hinder so i got my work cut out for me cuz i welded the ferule on haha so csnt reverse back to the shorty version
Mad

Postby Mad » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 am

Haha ben i zip tie everything they r free
Mad

Postby willowbark » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your help.
I really think that the one i bought has been modified, as the one tall column is satinless steel and the shorter one is also stainless steel, and does not resemble any thing i have looked at so far.
Just wish i could have attached a photo, but i have tried with the help of a friend also to no avail.
I have not gave up on the idea and have the photo saved in my computer.
When i used it yesterday it did not get hot like last time, i did remove some ceramic saddles though and perhaps that helped.
My partner was able to take a breath though the pipe, this was some thing that we did not do the first time.
Any way my partner and i have decided to swap stills as i have got so confidant using his still.
Also has any one got any ideas what happens when the alcohol comes out cloudy from the still. :shock:
Regards willowbark.
willowbark

equipment: super reflux 25litre still.

Postby Mad » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:06 pm

Ok i have a mod for this still FK it off into the corner ofthe shed lol. I shouldnt of touched it. Still no benifits still only hitting 88% out of these washes down from 93.2% for all previous runs before mods.
Mad

Postby Meatheadinc » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:13 pm

willowbark wrote:Also has any one got any ideas what happens when the alcohol comes out cloudy from the still. Regards willowbark

If it is cloudy at the end of the run its tails, if its from the start then your wash is puking
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby Mad » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:29 pm

Ive deduced after drinking that the extensions on the piss ever so slightly and its not dropping directly down to get full reflux hence my output ive run the pipe full of scrubvers empty had extra cooling around the extension nothing makes it better. Bring on the boka lol.
Mad

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills