First run on Super Express 3kw Still

Reflux still design and discussion

First run on Super Express 3kw Still

Postby Fuzzybear » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi All. :greetings-waveyellow:
I am a fully fledged newbie & I just completed my first run on my still and had pretty mixed bag of results.
First of all I did follow the instructions manual to the letter (or at-least I think I did)
On the first run I ran the still with both elements and was pretty impressed with how quickly it got up to temp and started producing.
However the tower cooling temp was at the max end and the cooling water flow was flat out :? it become apparent at around the 1hr :45min mark the temp climbed and the wash flooded out in to the product :scared-eek: :wtf:
So after re-read the instructions and a bit of researching on the web I decided to do the second batch by bringing it up to temp using 2 elements and then turned off the second element and to my delight it was pretty easy to run it to the recommended temps and I experienced nothing untoward behavior. :clap: Although it did take close to five hours to run the cycle.
I used the prescribed amount of dextrose with turbo yeast (I am in the tropics)
when the fermentation completed I used Turbo clear and even used foam stop in the still .
So have i overlooked something or the instruction manual misleading /incomplete. :?
Fuzzybear

equipment: Essencia Super Express 3000W Still

Re: First run on Super Express 3kw Still

Postby Sam. » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Howdy mate, might want to head over to the welcome centre and introduce yourself :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Do they make a 3000W standard? thought all the HBS rigs only had 1 element?

Also...Turbo?..... :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Frothwizard » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:15 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Howdy mate, might want to head over to the welcome centre and introduce yourself :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Go easy on the poor fella, he did say 'fully fledged newbie'...many of us have fallen by the wayside due to the broken promise of Turbo products.

How is home distilling illegal but flogging turbo juice is acceptable practice!!
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby SBB » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:20 pm

Fuzzy I did a quick google for your still and found a few photos. Im guessing this is it.
I dont wanna sound negative but in my opinion its not the best of stills.

Fuzzybear wrote:First of all I did follow the instructions manual to the letter (or at-least I think I did)

Unless things have changed the instructions to run those stills are basic at best. Somewhere out there are better instructions, at the moment I cant be knackered finding them.

Fuzzybear wrote:I used the prescribed amount of dextrose with turbo yeast (I am in the tropics)

Neither Dextrose or Turbo yeast are the best of choices, and it really doesn't matter if your in the tropics or Antarctica, wont make a difference.
I suggest you look at the tried a proven recipe section, TPW and a few other washes there will meet your needs and be cheaper and better in taste

Fuzzybear wrote:So have i overlooked something or the instruction manual misleading /incomplete. :?

Reading up on "cuts" and putting into practice what you learn, will help no end, as will using washes that don't require a trip to the local homebrew shop. That is just the beginning, distilling is a lot more complex that it seems in the beginning, or at least doing it well is. Don't be put of by that , its a very interesting journey and hobby.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:23 pm

firstly congratulations on your first run!

the wash ending up in the distillate most likely means that you over filled the boiler. so put in less of the wash, oil will help as well with washes that lead to puking more (ie rum for example). marbles or copper bits or ceramic saddles will also help stop puking.

my strong suggestion would be to:
visit the proven recipes on the forum- to learn about some higher quality washes to take you to the next level
have a read about stripping runs and spirit runs- will be great since you have 2 elements handy
also have a look at the cuts guide for further improvement to the spirits.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby SBB » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:27 pm

the wash ending up in the distillate most likely means that you over filled the boiler. so put in less of the wash, oil will help as well with washes that lead to puking more (ie rum for example). marbles or copper bits or ceramic saddles will also help stop puking.
:text-+1:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:31 pm

3000w on that still ? :scared-eek:

A lot of members here run 4" plated stills on only 2400w, but the alarming thing about yours is that a standard house circuit is only rated to 2400w..... I hope they explained this too you when you bought it ?

If you regularly use the same powerpoint to run this rig at 3000w I reckon your going to have dramas eventually, hopefully one of our resident sparky's can advise something for you.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:43 pm

:text-imwithstupid: ....well actually hes not studip...hes very correct.
I'll also leave that point alone

I have a similar still to the one you have ....asuming it is the one SBB pictured.
You are quite correct..you can only run these on a single 1400 w element.even then , they are running to fast.As you found ,the cooling system can bearly keep up with it.

You have done everything right but you should look into doing doble distilling .It madw a huge difference to me
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Fuzzybear » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:09 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Howdy mate, might want to head over to the welcome centre and introduce yourself :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You like i have learnt something today! Yes the 3kw has two elements and it does stipulate to use 2 power points no double adapter or power boards

And the turbo yeast was recommended by the local brew shop. Quote " Have to use a yeast that can cope with the hot temperatures of the tropics".

A Bloke has to start somewhere !!!
Fuzzybear

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Fuzzybear wrote: Yes the 3kw has two elements and it does stipulate to use 2 power points no double adapter or power boards

OK that's a relief, but you do realise those two power points (if in the same room) could possibly on the same circuit ;-) so you could in fact be overloading it ;-) as long as you run an extension lead from a separate room you should be fine :smile:

Fuzzybear wrote:A Bloke has to start somewhere !!!

Of course you do, and we would like to help you do it all safely, comfortably & a lot cheaper than the turbo way, while producing better quality spirits :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Smbjk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:32 pm

MacStill wrote:
Fuzzybear wrote: Yes the 3kw has two elements and it does stipulate to use 2 power points no double adapter or power boards

OK that's a relief, but you do realise those two power points (if in the same room) could possibly on the same circuit ;-) so you could in fact be overloading it ;-) as long as you run an extension lead from a separate room you should be fine :smile:

Fuzzybear wrote:A Bloke has to start somewhere !!!

Of course you do, and we would like to help you do it all safely, comfortably & a lot cheaper than the turbo way, while producing better quality spirits :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers.

:text-+1: well said mac! These guys know what there on about mate. In no time you'll be makin shit hot booze with just a few simple steps. Tpw, tpw, tpw, tpw.....................have I said it enuf.........tpw :D
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Fuzzybear » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:49 pm

SBB wrote:Fuzzy I did a quick google for your still and found a few photos. Im guessing this is it.
I dont wanna sound negative but in my opinion its not the best of stills.

Fuzzybear wrote:First of all I did follow the instructions manual to the letter (or at-least I think I did)

Unless things have changed the instructions to run those stills are basic at best. Somewhere out there are better instructions, at the moment I cant be knackered finding them.

Fuzzybear wrote:I used the prescribed amount of dextrose with turbo yeast (I am in the tropics)

Neither Dextrose or Turbo yeast are the best of choices, and it really doesn't matter if your in the tropics or Antarctica, wont make a difference.
I suggest you look at the tried a proven recipe section, TPW and a few other washes there will meet your needs and be cheaper and better in taste

Fuzzybear wrote:So have i overlooked something or the instruction manual misleading /incomplete. :?

Reading up on "cuts" and putting into practice what you learn, will help no end, as will using washes that don't require a trip to the local homebrew shop. That is just the beginning, distilling is a lot more complex that it seems in the beginning, or at least doing it well is. Don't be put of by that , its a very interesting journey and hobby.

Cheers SSB! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
That is the still I have!
And point taken about the still, but since my first car was a HQ I never expected my first still to be a Rolls Royce!

I have learnt a lot today.
Talked to a few others in town this evening who have had issues with the same yeast and told me of their success and failures.
and read up a few threads here as well.
Thanks for the advise unfortunately i did not find this site until I was researching the problem I was having.
what i was hoping to find was some other sole who has the same unit and could help from his own experience with the unit.

But all is good, We make mistakes / have problems, we learn, We move on!
:text-thankyoublue:
Fuzzybear

Postby Fuzzybear » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:01 pm

Yummyrum wrote::text-imwithstupid: ....well actually hes not studip...hes very correct.
I'll also leave that point alone

I have a similar still to the one you have ....asuming it is the one SBB pictured.
You are quite correct..you can only run these on a single 1400 w element.even then , they are running to fast.As you found ,the cooling system can bearly keep up with it.

You have done everything right but you should look into doing doble distilling .It madw a huge difference to me

Cheers Yummy Rum. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I read the thread on double distilling and used that to fix the :puke-huge: of wash..
Managed to clear it up and bump it up from 85 - 90%. :-D

:text-thankyoublue:
Fuzzybear

Postby Sam. » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:45 am

Wasn't trying to have a dig mate, I started with a worse still than yours with turbo :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You won't regret finding us here it's just a short road to quality hooch from here ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby OzKev » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:51 am

Just to re-iterate what you probably know by now. Run it slow, and take good cuts.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby TheMechwarrior » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:14 am

Welcome mate and don't worry about everyone bagging you out for the Turbo, if it works for you keep doing it.

I'm currently using turbo, it makes a product and I'm happy to drink it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but please STOP BASHING every turbo user that comes in here.
If you think there's a better method then I'm sure there's a more polite way of getting your opinion across than saying a turbo should be made illegal blah blah blah..end of rant.

Lets drink.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Sam. » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:27 am

TheMechwarrior wrote:Welcome mate and don't worry about everyone bagging you out for the Turbo, if it works for you keep doing it.

I'm currently using turbo, it makes a product and I'm happy to drink it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but please STOP BASHING every turbo user that comes in here.
If you think there's a better method then I'm sure there's a more polite way of getting your opinion across than saying a turbo should be made illegal blah blah blah..end of rant.

Lets drink.

You can use turbo if you want but I will not be recommending it to anyone and I reckon 99% of people here would agree.

No one is being "bashed" about it, when people are unaware that there is a different way it is appropriate to point this out
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby SBB » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:10 pm

TheMechwarrior wrote:but please STOP BASHING every turbo user that comes in here.

SBB wrote:Neither Dextrose or Turbo yeast are the best of choices, and it really doesn't matter if your in the tropics or Antarctica, wont make a difference.

Id hardly call that a bashing, More like friendly advise.
Lemme me be a little more blunt, Turbo Yeast is a shit product that in turn produces another shit product, Yes I have used it when I first started out. Would I use it now that I know a little more about distilling? not on your life.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Did you hear the story about the guy who went back to Turbos after using TPW?

Neither did I.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:53 pm

The biggest ouch factor for me was going from 12 bottles with turbos down to about 8 with TPW.....I fixed that....I now put down two fermenters at a time .strip them ....run the strips together ( after watering down to 40% so I don't accidentaly have a fire issue ) ........ Then end up with 16 bottles .....psycologically much better value :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Next

Return to Reflux Stills