CM and VM

Reflux still design and discussion

CM and VM

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:29 pm

How many of you out there are running cooling management systems? Are there any benefits over vapour managament? I have read a fair bit about VM but CM doesn't seem to come up as much?

Does anyone run a CM/VM on the same column? Would there be any point to this?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: CM and VM

Postby SBB » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:55 pm

From my understanding the T500 stills that some of are using are a type off CM.
Cooling Management stills are discussed at the very bottom of this post http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=13360 From reading that I gather that there are quite a few reasons why they are not as popular as other designs
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby busman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:56 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Does anyone run a CM/VM on the same column? Would there be any point to this?

I doubt it. All reflux columns are coolant controlled to a degree anyway (not enough and the alc goes out the top of the column in vapour form :lol: :lol: ), however if one were to build a good enough coil for the top of their VM they shouldn't need the rest of the CM mechanism.

Benefits of CM over VM? A basic CM still would be cheaper to build than a VM, having less parts. In one sense it would be easier to run, the flow rate is the only variable to play with. It really depends on what you want to get out of it, and how far you're willing to take it. Horses for courses, just like everything else :mrgreen:
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby MacStill » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:16 pm

My bubblers are nothing but a glorified CM & that kind of work like a VM in that they stop producing once the alcohol content of the wash diminishes :crazy:

If your design is good for it's given task then VM, CM, LM etc etc are all useful tools in their own right ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks SSB that is a good read, it actually goes into the pros and cons not just what each one does.

From that I think I will be building a VM/LM Combo. For nuetral this would have to be the best?

Then just need a good old pot still for the whisky ;)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:22 pm

I started stilling with a cooling management still head before I knew much abou this hobby.
For me it was fine for stripping and pot stilling purposes, but very fiddly for maintaining the correct temperature for a reflux run.
I tended to be up and down pretty regularly during reflux runs to adjust the water coolant flow to try and maintain the temp to the 78-80 degree range during the main part of the runs.
After finding out about and researching the other types of stills on the various distilling web resources it was clear that there were other systems out there that were more efficient and effective, especially for reflux type stills to make the higher abv vodkas etc.
For my needs I am hoping that a separate pot and vapour management still head will be better than my old cm unit.
I do wish I had researched the other types of stills and found these types of forums before I got my cm but I have enjoyed learning the ropes and the capabilities of it and the hobby in general and will hopefully appreciate the other stills I am now putting together.
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Return to Reflux Stills