Double Banga VM/LM

Reflux still design and discussion

Double Banga VM/LM

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Got an idea, would like some feedback from the more learned than myself.

I want to build a VM/LM Reflux still, but I want to build it with double 2 inch colums. the idea will be to have basically two seperate stills on one boiler but with the outputs of the VM connected and the outputs of the LM connected.

I think I can get away with having the one gate valve for the two VM outlets but would probably need two need valves for the Boka LM outlets.

This, from what I can tell has at least two obvious problems:

First, I will need two reflux condesnsers (materials and labour are not a real problem)

Second, having two needle valves for the LM these will need to be adjusted almost exactly the same (bit more dicking around with heads and tails?)

Both outlets will be condensed with big liebig condesnsers.

It will be a 50L keg boiler with Italian Spiral Burner for heat supply.

The reason that I want to have double 2 inch colums instead of a single 3 inch is I wont have to worry about chocking and flooding problems and materials and unions will be a lot cheaper.

Can anyone see any other major problems I have not thought of?

Do you think this could be a successful build?

All suggestions and opinions welcome. ;)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: Double Banga VM/LM

Postby busman » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:56 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:The reason that I want to have double 2 inch colums instead of a single 3 inch is I wont have to worry about chocking and flooding problems and materials and unions will be a lot cheaper.

Can anyone see any other major problems I have not thought of?

OK, if you do it, it may just be the coolest hobby still ever built :mrgreen:

BUT, a 3" column has more than double the internal volume of a 2" column, so I don't see how it would choke or flood any easier than twin 2-inchers?

:twocents-02cents: I reckon just build a single column out of the biggest bit of pipe the budget will stretch to
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby R-sole » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:47 am

This has been thrown out there a lot of times and built once or twice. The forseen problems are trying to balance the columns. Little things like density of the packing etc can never be exactly equal and valve settings can't be accurately duplicated to ensure cuts are run off at the same time. So cuts will have to be in seperate bottles.

And then there's the actual efficiencies to think of. Two 2" vm columns will pull up to 1.2l/h in hearts each.

One 3" column will pull up to 5l/h in hearts.

It's like a Harley, it's only expensive to buy once...then you just have it.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:46 am

Yeah I'm not sure it would be any cheaper than a 3" rig either, and also any column has the potential for flooding so you need to tune into your rig to hit that sweet spot of good takeoff rate - heat input - reflux ratio to get it just right.

I know what way I'd go ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:58 pm

If I use a single 3" column I assume I will need to use these "centering rings" I keep hearing about.

I think they are used to distribute the relux evenly that is returning back down the column to avoid channeling, but what do they look like? How do you make one? and where is it mounted in the still?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:36 pm

There's many different ways you can attack reflux centering in your column, you can use a a plethora of devices to do this with a little imagination ;)

Take a look at punkins VM still in the commercial section to get one idea, and then you can devise your own evil plan... ;)

If your building a VM/LM you'll need to do a lot of research and also a bit of suck it n see, it's not something that has been documented greatly but there is info out there once you start digging.

Dont try reinvent the wheel, there's been many attempts before you that make the simple designs as popular as they are today.....

Fuck worrying about a few dollars on something your going to spend a life time using... build the best you can afford that's proven & and be happy knowing your using the rig that suits you....

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:17 pm

So from the looks the "centering rings" are in effect a funnel to direct the reflux into the middle of the packing.

So how many of these do I need in the column? Are they simply placed in the packing in intervals?

Is it a bitch to try and get these right?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Return to Reflux Stills