I need a new still!

Reflux still design and discussion

I need a new still!

Postby SMOKEU » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:44 am

So, going from my other thread I'm really not happy with that still so I'm looking at selling it (and losing a fair bit of money in the process, but oh well). I want a decent reflux still that can be guaranteed to do a minimum of 95%ABV every time from a 12%ABV wash. The closer to an azeotrope, the better! I want a nice clean, neutral spirit that I can just drink straight without gagging each time I taste it, and one that causes minimal hangover. A very clean vodka with no discernible taste, nor smell is what I'm after.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to build my own still, as by the time I've bought everything and paid someone to do what I can't do, it won't be worth the cost, nor the time and frustration. I want a still that's relatively simple in design and to operate, reliable, and easy to get replacement parts for if needed. Ideally I'd like to go for something around 25-30L, but I may go a bit bigger.

I currently have a 25L Still Spirits boiler (the SS pot still, reflux still, and super reflux still all share the same boiler). It has a 1.4kW element. I like that boiler because it's very common in NZ, and parts such as power cords, elements, lids etc are all very easy to find at any brew shop. So ideally, I'd like to be able to use that boiler and bolt on a reflux tower to that if possible.

Failing that, I'd need a new boiler, element (I only want an electric still), and reflux tower, as well as all the other little bits and pieces. I was thinking a nice bokakob tower bolted onto my current still could be a good option, otherwise I'd have to buy an entire new setup. Keep in mind that since I'm in NZ there's no legal limit for the boiler size (well, at least not for hobby stills), and shipping can be quite expensive too. I've seen the Copperhead reflux still http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/li ... 244833.htm here which is very cheap for a store bought still, but how close will it be to an azeotrope?

So what can you guys recommend for a simple "plug and play" unit that won't require anything more than basic assembly on my part?
SMOKEU

equipment: Custom built stainless still

Re: I need a new still!

Postby SMOKEU » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:48 am

For those of you who aren't familiar with the boiler I've got, it's identical to the one below. The reflux tower can easily unscrew with one nut to remove it from the boiler lid.

SMOKEU

Postby dogbreath vodka » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:50 am

HI Smokeu

There is a reason that still is cheap.... :handgestures-thumbdown:

On the other hand if you can't build one and you want a plug and play.
http://www.5stardistilling.net/modular-stills/

If you are looking for a guaranteed 95%..
There is no comparison to FSD stills. That simple. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Have a look on the forum and read about the happy stillers using a 4" FSD modular.

And yes you will need a new boiler. 100ltr is a good size.:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Woodsy71 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:21 am

Morning Mate,

If you have your heart set on something that you can to attach to your SS boiler, and your sure you don't want to step up to something like a keg boiler, then perhaps you are best to go with a HBS reflux still.

Whilst i agree with DBV that a custom made still from FSD for example, would be ideal. The problem is that i don't believe the HBS boiler will support that style of reflux still.

Also, the stills like Copperhead, T500 etc aren't terrible stills imo. They will pull you upwards of 90% abv.

Is a 5% drop in abv going to be a deal breaker? :think:

I have a T500 that always pulls me 92%. Happy with that :D

Until i have the coin to upgrade to a bubbler, my current still will do just fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby SMOKEU » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:30 am

dogbreath vodka wrote:HI Smokeu

There is a reason that still is cheap.... :handgestures-thumbdown:

On the other hand if you can't build one and you want a plug and play.
http://www.5stardistilling.net/modular-stills/

If you are looking for a guaranteed 95%..
There is no comparison to FSD stills. That simple. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Have a look on the forum and read about the happy stillers using a 4" FSD modular.

And yes you will need a new boiler. 100ltr is a good size.:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV

Unfortunately my budget isn't that high, and 100L is too big as I'm not strong enough to move that much weight around. Those stills do look good though!
SMOKEU

Postby SMOKEU » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:38 am

Woodsy71 wrote:Morning Mate,

If you have your heart set on something that you can to attach to your SS boiler, and your sure you don't want to step up to something like a keg boiler, then perhaps you are best to go with a HBS reflux still.

Whilst i agree with DBV that a custom made still from FSD for example, would be ideal. The problem is that i don't believe the HBS boiler will support that style of reflux still.

Also, the stills like Copperhead, T500 etc aren't terrible stills imo. They will pull you upwards of 90% abv.

Is a 5% drop in abv going to be a deal breaker? :think:

I have a T500 that always pulls me 92%. Happy with that :D

Until i have the coin to upgrade to a bubbler, my current still will do just fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The SS Super Reflux still I have at the moment (the same one that I put a picture of above) does 91%ABV when packed with scrubbers, every single time. I'm not happy with that, since it's nowhere near a "pure" spirit. It still tastes pretty clean after sitting in carbon for 2 weeks, but then again, I don't really have anything to compare it with. I still want something more pure!

The other option is to get a 1m long copper tube, and get a plumber or someone who deals with copper to make an extension out of it to put between the boiler and the current reflux tower. I know it's been done before. I can then pack the copper tube with scrubbers.

Or, maybe a trusted forum member can make me a bokakob tower to bolt onto my current boiler and ship it to me after I've sent the money.
SMOKEU

Postby SBB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:49 am

SMOKEU wrote:I've seen the Copperhead reflux still http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/li ... 244833.htm here which is very cheap for a store bought still, but how close will it be to an azeotrope?

From my understanding these are pretty much a copper T500, my guess is they would preform the same way and that they will put out at about 92% , 93 if you are lucky.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby spit'n'shine » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:11 am

If you're handy you could build a bokabob still and get yourself a keg to use as a boiler.. That would probably be the most cost effective way to get the spirit your after. I built one by using the info on this site.. Pulls Over 95% every time! Didn't even have to ask any questions, there's heaps of builds in the reflux stills section, have a look there mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby SMOKEU » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:12 am

SBB wrote:
SMOKEU wrote:I've seen the Copperhead reflux still http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/li ... 244833.htm here which is very cheap for a store bought still, but how close will it be to an azeotrope?

From my understanding these are pretty much a copper T500, my guess is they would preform the same way and that they will put out at about 92% , 93 if you are lucky.

So is that 92-93%ABV when packed with scrubbers?

The other option is a Euro Still. On homedistiller.org http://homedistiller.org/equip someone mentioned having a Euro still that they did simple mods on and claim to get just over 96%ABV (which I know is above an azeotrope, so I don't quite believe 96%). There's also some information there about modifying a SS Reflux Still (the more basic version of what I already have).
SMOKEU

Postby SMOKEU » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am

spit'n'shine wrote:If you're handy you could build a bokabob still and get yourself a keg to use as a boiler.. That would probably be the most cost effective way to get the spirit your after. I built one by using the info on this site.. Pulls Over 95% every time! Didn't even have to ask any questions, there's heaps of builds in the reflux stills section, have a look there mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I wish I could do that, but I don't know anyone with access to oxy acetylene, nor all the other equipment I'll probably need like pipe expanders etc. I do know the basics about working with copper since I did a plumbing course a few years back, but I haven't worked with copper in years.
SMOKEU

Postby SBB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:31 am

SMOKEU wrote:So is that 92-93%ABV when packed with scrubbers?

Im not sure what they are using in them for packing, but yest that figure is for a packed column.
Im only basing those figures on what a T500 will produce. The still you are looking at is pretty much the same but made from copper instead of stainless.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby dogbreath vodka » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:09 am

Buy the stuff slowly - it hurts less. :teasing-tease:

A 50ltr electric keg boiler with 2" drain, valve, clamps etc, 4" ferrule for the column and 3" fill port, end cap and clamp will set you back around $700-800.
(Using a professional welder)

The controller is around the $150 - $200, depends on your Sparkie.
So expect around the $1000 mark for your boiler.

As for the still.... you can see that on FSD site.

ON THE OTHER HAND.

If all that is wayyyy out of your price range.

Why not use what you have and double distil?
It will clean up your product real well.
Do you really need 95%?

Take your time and you just may be able to use what you already have....
Better than racing out and buying something else that just may not be any better.

Just a thought :think: :think:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby ENTITY77 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:11 pm

SBB wrote:
SMOKEU wrote:So is that 92-93%ABV when packed with scrubbers?

Im not sure what they are using in them for packing, but yest that figure is for a packed column.
Im only basing those figures on what a T500 will produce. The still you are looking at is pretty much the same but made from copper instead of stainless.

Actually the T500 pc condenser is different to the copper head design.

The T500 runs water through the the inner tube and condenses distillate in the outer jacket. A retarded design that limits it's abilities and the reason why I made a new pc for my T500 column.

The copper head on the other hand has a leibig style which is more efficient at transferring heat to the coolant.
ENTITY77

equipment: All gone

Postby SBB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:28 pm

None of that changes the fact that its most unlikely your going to get 95+ out of that still, which is what the OP wants.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby spit'n'shine » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:47 pm

SMOKEU wrote:
spit'n'shine wrote:If you're handy you could build a bokabob still and get yourself a keg to use as a boiler.. That would probably be the most cost effective way to get the spirit your after. I built one by using the info on this site.. Pulls Over 95% every time! Didn't even have to ask any questions, there's heaps of builds in the reflux stills section, have a look there mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I wish I could do that, but I don't know anyone with access to oxy acetylene, nor all the other equipment I'll probably need like pipe expanders etc. I do know the basics about working with copper since I did a plumbing course a few years back, but I haven't worked with copper in years.

I don't have access to the equipment you mentioned either, and I new SFA about working with copper until I started reading. We generally use soft silver solder with copper so only a propane torch (cost about $20) was needed for my build.

Scale of 1-10 for difficulty, I'd say 3.5

Good luck with with it anyway mate whichever route you decide to take.
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby ENTITY77 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:58 pm

SBB wrote:None of that changes the fact that its most unlikely your going to get 95+ out of that still, which is what the OP wants.

Fair enough lol.

However upon finding some better quality images of the copper head I believe I was wrong about the copper head having the more effecient leibig product condenser. The copper head and T500 appear to use the same basic design.

As for the OP wanting a tasteless clean neutral, well that's influenced by more than just the still design. The type of brew and resultant wash quality, how well you do your cuts and how slowly you run the distillation. A still capable of 95%+ doesn't guarantee a tasteless and odourless distillate.

If you want a premium drop then you need a firm grasp on the process and all the factors that influence the quality of the end product your aiming for.
ENTITY77

equipment: All gone

Postby MacStill » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:26 pm

.... if you go to a good HBS that stocks the T500 & copper versions they'll tell you the original T500 gives a slightly higher purity too ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:46 pm

ENTITY77 wrote:As for the OP wanting a tasteless clean neutral, well that's influenced by more than just the still design. The type of brew and resultant wash quality, how well you do your cuts and how slowly you run the distillation. A still capable of 95%+ doesn't guarantee a tasteless and odourless distillate.

If you want a premium drop then you need a firm grasp on the process and all the factors that influence the quality of the end product your aiming for.

:text-+1: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby C2H6O » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:23 am

spit'n'shine wrote:
SMOKEU wrote:

I don't have access to the equipment you mentioned either, and I new SFA about working with copper until I started reading. We generally use soft silver solder with copper so only a propane torch (cost about $20) was needed for my build.

Scale of 1-10 for difficulty, I'd say 3.5

Good luck with with it anyway mate whichever route you decide to take.

Mate i was in the same boat, you need very limited tools to put together a boka, and all the information you need is here on the forum. No need for oxy, i use map gas as it allows me to hard solder rings for an easy flange as well as soft soldering the rest of the unit. Have a look at these few links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV8boURmByU

now a little more serious.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2133

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=76

Head over to the Tips from the workbench section of the forum, has some awesome info.

Good luck
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby twojaythomo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Mate the pure distiller pulls 93-94 everytime ive got one real easy to use too, would bolt up to your old boiler too
twojaythomo

equipment: 4" Bubbler, keg boiler with 2 elements and voltage regulator.

Next

Return to Reflux Stills