Help needed running my reflux still

Reflux still design and discussion

Help needed running my reflux still

Postby cap73n » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:37 pm

Here is a schematic of what I have built. I'm not really sure if its VM or LM. Its basically all stainless steel that I've tigged together plus a bit of copper silver soldered in wherever I could.

My still.jpg

The water flow is adjustable on each individual condenser. The power is also adjustable on one of the elements (I only use one once it is up to boil).

Basically, I modified my pot still which I've been using for 3 years so that I could get a high quality neutral from hopefully a single run. But now I don't really know how to run this while keeping it in equilibrium. So first of all is this a VM or a LM still? And second do I need any more modifications?

Thanks in advance - Captain
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cap73n

equipment: Home made stainless VM reflux still with a 50mm x 1.5m column and a 28L boiler powered by twin 2000w internal elements. Column is packed with copper mesh.

Re: Help needed running my reflux still

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:54 pm

I think you better post a couple of photos of your setup mate, we need to be sure that what you've built is safe etc.
You should also spend a little time reading before you build...so you know what you've built and you get exactly what it is you are after.
Start here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117

Cheers,

Mech.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby C2H6O » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:02 pm

As Mech said mate a pic of the rig would help. Couple of questions to start mate, does that 1/2 inch gate valve control how much vapor comes out? Is the column open to the atmosphere? I.e is there a hole at the top of the column above the condenser? This is critical or your still will become pressurised and blow up.

Does it have slant plates under the condenser?

It looks to me like you have built a VM that is going to have a LOT of smearing, that is you will not be able to make good cuts.

You have the makings of a good still mate, you may just need a few mods :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby cap73n » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:07 pm

TheMechwarrior wrote:I think you better post a couple of photos of your setup mate, we need to be sure that what you've built is safe etc.
You should also spend a little time reading before you build...so you know what you've built and you get exactly what it is you are after.
Start here: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117

Sorry, I haven't got an updated photo. This photo is from Friday and it was taken on a crappy old phone I'm running atm.
still.jpg

On Saturday, I changed the ball valve for a gate valve and also insulated the column with a foam mat.

Also, I did read that link a few times and fair bit of other literature before making this. I was aiming for a VM still by modifying my pot still. I'm just not sure I did it correctly.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cap73n

equipment: Home made stainless VM reflux still with a 50mm x 1.5m column and a 28L boiler powered by twin 2000w internal elements. Column is packed with copper mesh.

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:12 pm

I can't see if the top of your column is open to atmosphere? (safety requirement to prevent a pressurised vessel and potential bomb)

Adding cooling water to the offtake of your VM prior to the gate valve is going to make it very difficult to control.
Where did you see this design mentioned in the prior-to-build-reading?

Look at that link again, you see that with VM you rely solely on the gate valve for control and the RC just does it's thing.
Other than the gate valve manipulating power is your other tool
TheMechwarrior

100L boiler

Postby cap73n » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:13 pm

C2H6O wrote: Is the column open to the atmosphere? I.e is there a hole at the top of the column above the condenser? This is critical or your still will become pressurised and blow up

Yeah I have two 6mm holes drilled in the top for venting.

C2H6O wrote:Does it have slant plates under the condenser?

No it doesn't have slant plates but the 25mm stainless pipe sticks into the column a bit at an angle

C2H6O wrote:does that 1/2 inch gate valve control how much vapor comes out?

I'm not really sure. I'm able to open and close it. Which puts the system into 100% reflux
cap73n

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:15 pm

It looks to me as though you've scaled up your pot still, tossed in a packed section and adding some RC but then got lost with the design?
It's easy enough to fix though.

Do a search on the forums on how to build a VM still, you'll soon see how to fix it ;-)
Last edited by TheMechwarrior on Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMechwarrior

100L boiler

Postby timboss » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:16 pm

I don't think the vapour will defy gravity and move downwards... However due to that slope I think it'll catch the distillate being condensed from the reflux condenser....
timboss

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:19 pm

TheMechwarrior wrote:Adding cooling water to the offtake of your VM prior to the gate valve is going to make it very difficult to control.

Essentially what you have is a CM still at the end of the day, forget the gate/ball valve. You can remove it.

Look up how to run a CM still, you'll be manipulating your cooling water flow to achieve the desired output, so you'll need adequate water supply and control over the water flow.
At 2 x 2kW elements you'll have too much power for full reflux I'd expect so after you get it boiling turn off 1 element.

PS...you do know not to collect your spirit in that plastic container right?
TheMechwarrior

100L boiler

Postby cap73n » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:32 pm

Well back to the drawing board lol.

TheMechwarrior wrote:PS...you do know not to collect your spirit in that plastic container right?

Yeah that was just there while I was doing an initial cleaning/trial run so I didn't have to keep emptying it. I normally use a glass pyrex.
cap73n

Postby SBB » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:55 pm

I don't think its going to work as a CM unless the product take off is moved to above the reflux condenser.
For what its worth I think going back to the drawing board and doing some more research into what it is you want to build would help a lot.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby cap73n » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:55 pm

Would this work? or would I be better off removing the angled return all together?

Still2.jpg
cap73n

Postby C2H6O » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:01 pm

Mate you have all the ingredients for a still that will produce 95-96% their just on the piss a little :laughing-rolling: sorry had to.

Have a look at this VM still viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6230

You want a tee under the reflux condenser with a gate valve so you can control the amount of vapor you take and how much is returned down the column.

Now your reflux condenser looks a bit different how long is the coil? Im guessing its a single coil? If you can fit a piece of pipe down the middle it would make a nice single coil with cold finger like this viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1526.

Edit : Just saw your last picture.. Would be better to lose the angle all together :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cheers
C2H6O

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:04 pm

Agreed, it needs some cutting and shutting.
A major problem is the cooling water in the product offtake.

Here's what my VM looked like:
TheMechwarrior

100L boiler

Postby cap73n » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks guys. Ill upload a photo later this week when ive made the changes.
cap73n

Postby C2H6O » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Cap, throw up some pics as you go, and definitely yell out if you get a bit lost..

Cheers
C2H6O

Postby cap73n » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:34 pm

So this is what I've ended up with.
PIC_0150.JPG
cap73n

Postby TheMechwarrior » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Looks much better :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I can't see what the gate valve is made of though?
Also make sure your PC isn't too low as in too close to your VM offtake otherwise you'll get stuff all coming out. The fix there is to simply raise your PC. Aim for about at least 50mm clearance.

Now you need to read Kiwi's guide to running a VM ;-)
TheMechwarrior

100L boiler

Postby cap73n » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:54 pm

The gate valve is brass. Yeh ok the PC comes down to pretty much exactly 50mm from the take off. so I guess ill have to run it and find out. Yeah I'm looking at kiwis post right now :handgestures-thumbupleft: thanks mate
cap73n

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:10 am

TheMechwarrior wrote:Looks much better :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I can't see what the gate valve is made of though?
Also make sure your PC isn't too low as in too close to your VM offtake otherwise you'll get stuff all coming out. The fix there is to simply raise your PC. Aim for about at least 50mm clearance.

Now you need to read Kiwi's guide to running a VM ;-)

Mech is that a typo.?..should the PC read as RC ?

BTW: nice work Captain :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Next

Return to Reflux Stills