removing the packing from a reflux still

Reflux still design and discussion

removing the packing from a reflux still

Postby choppy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:01 pm

I've read a few items in relation to the T500, but I'm not sure it is relevant to my question.

I own a Pure Disttilling reflux still, I want to run my MacRum and BWKo through it.

Ultimately I would like to buy a FSD 4" modular pot still, but I am a few weeks/months off that.

My reflux still is packed with 3 pieces "steel wool" packing.

If i remove 1 or 2 of these packing pieces, and run the still,l will I get more flavour coming through? IS it doable?

I have removed the packing previously and it was easy enough to get back in.

Cheers and thanks in advance
Choppy
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Re: removing the packing from a reflux still

Postby Brendan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:58 pm

If you want bourbon or rum, I say remove ALL the packing.

A straight pot still will get you the best flavours and that'll get you as close as can be.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby choppy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:17 pm

Thanks Brendan, I read somewhere that you can't do it with the T500 as there are parts in the column that cannot handle the increased heat from the removing the packing.

I was hoping I could do it with my still, I'll check it all out when I strip all the packing from the column.

It's only a short term solution until I get Mac to send me one of his modular pot stills. After chatting with him yesterday plans are flying around in my head.
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Brendan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Oh yes, I have heard something along these lines on here about the T500 specifically. Maybe someone on here with experience on one can give some specific advice.

If that's the case, I guess it's a take as much out as you can kind of situation...may not be ideal for flavour products, but it'll be the closest you can do with it.
Brendan

Postby MacStill » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Before you go pulling the packing from your PD rig just hang about a bit, pretty sure I've read here somewhere it's a right bitch to get the packing in correctly again..... if I'm wrong you have nothing to lose by waiting a little longer :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sinerjee » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:49 pm

The T500 has plastic parts at the top and at the output which won't hold up to the higher temperatures when it's not used properly as a Reflux still.
I don't think the Pure Distilling one has those plastic parts though so you should be good.
To run as a pot still just remove the packing and leave the reflux condenser off. That may mean rearranging your cooling hoses to bypass the reflux condenser.

Or as Mac said as I was writing this don't because it's a bitch to get back in :laughing-rolling:
Sinerjee

equipment: FSD 4" Modular Pot
FSD 4" Packed Section, RC and Gin Caddy added.
30L Keg running on Gas.

Postby choppy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks guys, I'm not concerned about getting the packing back in, I have taken it out before to check its condition and it went back in okay.

I am concerned about rearranging the cooling hoses to bypass the reflux condenser. I mean, I'd be concerned if I knew what it meant….

I might just take a couple of the coils of packing out and see what difference it makes. I'm up to Gen 3 on the rum, so it will naturally be more fragrant even through a reflux.

All i need is a trifecta or a 10 to 1 winner and I'm straight into a FSD pot still.

Thanks again
Choppy
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby SBB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Pretty sure it was Crow who said ya shouldn't unpack them. I don't remember the reasons why.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby choppy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:45 pm

I remember reading a post where someone said the packing can be tricky, then there was a cheeky dig at Crow like "just ask Crow".
I won't be running the rum til next week, I have 1 or 2 tpw to do between now and then.

Something to sleep on i think.
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby twojaythomo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:42 am

I pulled the packing out of my PD column before to clean it, went back in no problems, never run it in pot mode though so can't comment on that.
twojaythomo

equipment: 4" Bubbler, keg boiler with 2 elements and voltage regulator.

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:52 am

Chppy. If the still you have is th on I'm thinking it is then it is basically a boka still.So you will needto leave the cooling ad it is as this is whats going to be the main condenser .
The main issue I think you will have is because unlike a normal boka , these stills have a reducer fitted before the output valve that regulates how much comes out regardless of how open you valve is ..
Its a form of idiot proofing thts built into thek to ensure that they ge enough reflux and produce the high ABV they advertise.....the down side is , you can't open the valve and use it as a stripper
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Brendan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:01 am

choppy wrote:All i need is a trifecta or a 10 to 1 winner and I'm straight into a FSD pot still.

Isn't that always the way?!

Come on you good thing!! :animals-dogrun:
Brendan

Postby choppy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 am

Yummyrum wrote:Chppy. If the still you have is th on I'm thinking it is then it is basically a boka still.So you will needto leave the cooling ad it is as this is whats going to be the main condenser .
The main issue I think you will have is because unlike a normal boka , these stills have a reducer fitted before the output valve that regulates how much comes out regardless of how open you valve is ..
Its a form of idiot proofing thts built into thek to ensure that they ge enough reflux and produce the high ABV they advertise.....the down side is , you can't open the valve and use it as a stripper

I think you are right Yummyrum, I remember it being explained to me that way.

I have a few weeks work building the 50L boiler which which house the FSD pot still, so hopefully in that time I will have squirrelled away enough to buy the still.

Thanks again.
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Potmash Boka » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:06 am

Yummies on to it. There is an orafice fitting on the valve. Replaced that in mine.
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:04 pm

Potmash Boka wrote:Yummies on to it. There is an orafice fitting on the valve. Replaced that in mine.

Potmash , what did it look like and how did you remove it ?
Yummyrum

Postby crow » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 pm

twojaythomo wrote:I pulled the packing out of my PD column before to clean it, went back in no problems, never run it in pot mode though so can't comment on that.

Its you still and you can do what you like with it :handgestures-thumbupleft: The Ultra Pure stills structured copper packing is wound in to an exact tension and density to create a predetermined "hight equivalent theoretic plate" rating that was determined to be the optimin for the hight x diameter + take off rate while maintaining an equilibrium. Yeah sure you can rip it out and stuff it back in but the chance of it running exactly the same would be 100,000 to 1, now that might not bother some ppl but it would irritate me and the cost of getting it professionally repacked by the manufacturer is in excess of $80 plus postage. If you drop the column in a bucket of citric acid solution for 1/2 hr and flush it it will come out like new. Running this still in pot mode is not what I would call feasible, one i doubt it would knock down 100% of the vapor and the packed coil will still be refluxing anyway so you will just get a smeared dirty neutral :-B
Edit i just read you have three lots of staino wool shoved up there so some of my post may not be relevant to you :think: wonder if you packing has been replaced before of if its one of the UP still knock offs that are doing the rounds :?
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby choppy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post Crow. I appreciate any advice I can get. I think I will just wait and get a pot still.

When I was in the HBS this week I noticed they sold replacement packing mesh, the dude in the shop told me he has twice replaced the packing in his PD still.

To clean mine I just pour a citric acid solution through it a dozen times. It ends up an off blue colour.

Here is a web address to the mesh I refer to.

http://newcastlebrewshop.shop033.com/p/ ... h-x-4.html
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:05 pm

$17.50 for pot scrubbers, fucking gouging bastards.... same thing from Bunnings is just under $7 :scared-eek:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Crow , I don't own one of these stills so I can't comment first hand but . ..This worries me

1) it is a Liquid management still....so if the packing is removed and the "obstruction" in the output is also removed then why should it not be able to strip ? If all output is collected out the output valve ( fully open) then there is no reflux because there is nothing to overflow back into the still .

2) Why can't it Knock down 100% of the vapour.?.....that's what it does as a reflux still ....if its not capable when in pot mode ,then its not capable in Reflux mode which would suggest that its leaking vapour out the top past the RC coil

3) Why can I buy replacement packing for one of these at a HBS shop with quite simple instructions on its removal and repacking..it looks just like normal SS scrubbers to me ....I bought some and packed it firmly as described but not tight or loose and it works exactly the same as the SS scrubbers I bought from a supermarket .. :think:
Yummyrum

Postby choppy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:14 pm

That's what I thought when I saw it to Mac.

Consistent with most distilling gear HBS's sell. Add an extra zero because they can.
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Next

Return to Reflux Stills