My next still

Reflux still design and discussion

My next still

Postby Plumby » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:43 pm

G'day all I'm thinking about upgrading from my Still Spirits Super Reflux still to something better in a few months and I was just looking for suggestions from those more educated than myself.
There is nothing wrong with the still I have it makes 92% from the tpw but takes so long to heat up, aprox 1 hour and 20-30 minutes before the distillate starts then about a 4 hour run time.
I really enjoy making neutrals and liquers so I was more leaning toward another reflux still but I'm open to suggestions.
It will be a while before I upgrade as I need to acquire permission from the minister of war and finance but at the moment I'm just looking for a few ideas so I can get a budget sorted. There is no chance of me making one myself as I can't weld or solder to save myself, trust me I have tried on numerous occasions and my welding resembles chicken shit.

Thanks in advance :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Re: My next still

Postby 1 2many » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:06 pm

If you can't build one plumby may I suggest contacting Mac through the 5star store I believe there is some gear coming that might be of interest to you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:08 pm

Keep an eye on the FSD section mate, I believe Mac has a couple of things in the works that might be right up your alley :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Sam. » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:21 pm

The question is do you only want to produce neutrals or are you going to want to do brown spirits as well? :think:

Also how handy are you with the tools?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Plumby » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:03 am

Don't really drink brown spirits much prefer nequtral's and liqueurs (lemoncello, kahula and Midori etc.)
I have been working as a concreter/construction landscaper and stonemason for nearly 20 years now so im use to using hand tools, just never picked up welding/soldering. Like most things you either have it or you don't.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:23 am

I agree what the other members have suggested- Mac at FSD. Or, keep an eye out on the for sale section of this forum. Someone might end up selling a reflux there.
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:38 am

If you only want to make neutral then trust isn't much use making a pot still.

Either knock up a VM or LM column yourself or like the others said FSD are about to release some new reflux options ;-)

Edit: bugger your not in SA as I have a 3 inch reflux I need to get rid of one day
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Reflux Stills