Leaky T500

Reflux still design and discussion

Leaky T500

Postby jimbobby » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I will be using my leaky T500 within the next few days. The question here is to fix the leak around the plastic bit at top of the condenser, is it safe to use plumbers thread tape around that area, as I figured it would take a couple of turns around that piece to stop the leak, Happy to be corrected if Im wrong
jimbobby

equipment: Stills Spirit Turbo 500

Re: Leaky T500

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 pm

Just go buy some good quality silicon suitable for fish tanks, don't pull the plastic bit out of the stainless tube, just smear a very fine coating of silicon around the point were the two materials join. Let it dry and it should be fixed.
I wouldn't run it as is your going to be loosing a lot of ethanol vapor from that leak.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Take it back to where you bought it and get the still replaced :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby jimbobby » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:00 am

Thanks for the replies

I sent an email to still spirits regarding the leaky condenser and here is the reply

I recently purchased a Turbo 500 still, on my 2nd use it has developed a leak where the plastic cap meets the top of the condenser, after doing a bit of research it is a common problem that appears with this type of still, apart from taking it back to the retailer is there a solution to solve this problem on a permanent basis. Your answer will be appreciated,

Answer
This is normal, there is no seal at the top as it is vented to ensure minimal pressure build up in the boiler, the process is that a vacuum is created between the column and the condenser sucking the alcohol vapour over before condensing back to alcohol. It is a similar process with the water making a sucking noise, it doesn’t need to be sealed.
jimbobby

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:38 am

jimbobby wrote:Answer
This is normal, there is no seal at the top as it is vented to ensure minimal pressure build up in the boiler, the process is that a vacuum is created between the column and the condenser sucking the alcohol vapour over before condensing back to alcohol. It is a similar process with the water making a sucking noise, it doesn’t need to be sealed.

What a load of shit !

you should explain the dangers of high proof alcohol leaking down the column outside on to the boiler, and maybe they should include a fire extinguisher in the package :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:06 pm

As Mac said , that's a load of bullshit, these stills don't need to be vented, they are open to atmosphere at all times via the product condenser.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby The Stig » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:32 pm

Mine doesnt leak :teasing-neener: and never has.
I guess that makes mine faulty 8-} :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby jimbobby » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:30 pm

SBB wrote:Just go buy some good quality silicon suitable for fish tanks, don't pull the plastic bit out of the stainless tube, just smear a very fine coating of silicon around the point were the two materials join. Let it dry and it should be fixed.

Sorry for not getting back earlier, family matters. Anyway even with the silicon would heat and vapors from the condenser affect it in someway??
Cheers Jim
jimbobby

Postby Fudude » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Confirmed, bullshit. I just dismantled min to try and fix the leak and found an o-ring in their that was not seated properly.
If its not supposed to seal why would they put an o ring in there to "try" and seal it.
I told my supplier a month or so back and asked for it to be fixed and a couple days later heard the same as you "its ment to do that" pfffffff.

Did we ever work out the best way to seal it. I'm about to reseat the o ring and see if that works but first I need to figure out if I can secure the top piece a better way, the trap tab style washer thing sux ballz.
Fudude

equipment: Turbostill 500.

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Fudude wrote:Confirmed, bullshit. I just dismantled min to try and fix the leak and found an o-ring in their that was not seated properly.
If its not supposed to seal why would they put an o ring in there to "try" and seal it.
I told my supplier a month or so back and asked for it to be fixed and a couple days later heard the same as you "its ment to do that" pfffffff.

Did we ever work out the best way to seal it. I'm about to reseat the o ring and see if that works but first I need to figure out if I can secure the top piece a better way, the trap tab style washer thing sux ballz.

Hey Fu, mine doesn't leak, but im as sure as shit it will do one day, was thinking of dismantling it and seeing about getting a stainless copy made. Would solve the problem of running a stripping run too.
Hoping you could take some good photos of the cap for me if its still in pieces?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Fudude » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:35 pm

Sorry, all back together. Might smash something up in ms paint for you. There isn't much to it.
Fudude

Postby Fudude » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Bam
Fudude

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:37 pm

Seems to be such a common problem for as far back as I can remember, cant understand why they haven't fixed the issue yet.

I also hate the fact they use plastic and rubber O rings :handgestures-thumbdown:

I wont be stocking them in my store, I'll go with the Pure Distilling units instead :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:04 am

Thanks Fu might pull mine down one day to see if there's a something I can make in its place, did see a thread before about a mod for the t500 will look back into that.
And Mac you're right, its a shithouse company that cant upgrade their product when theres a problem like this, especially if the problem could cause a fire from vapour escaping. Fix your shit Still Spirits! :violence-smack: :violence-smack:
but, its the only still I have atm so will have to keep using it, till either I can afford a macstill or end up practising my hammer throw with it over the fence! :-bd
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby tipsy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:14 pm

MacStill wrote: I'll go with the Pure Distilling units instead :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Surely just one for customers to compare the 5SD ones against :happy-partydance:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Roger » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:49 am

I have put close to 30 runs through my T500 I bought mid last year and fortunately must have one of the "faulty" ones that don't leak. It is concerning that Still Spirits are now not replacing their leaky condensers as I have read several posts a while back where Still Spirits provided new condensers to replace the leaky ones.
I have also been very careful for the temperature not to go much over 60 degrees. I try and run at low 50's after reading many comments in this fine forum. A common theme for the leaky condensers seemed to be that they were run at high temperatures. While this may not provide a complete explanation it makes sense not to heat up the plastic bits more than necessary!! Also, using the condenser as a pot still by de tuning or removing the saddles would increase the temperature which to me could could stuff up the plastic bits also.
My two cents worth
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Postby InglisHill » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Still Spirits are fuck knuckles.

Follow the blokes advise about taking it back.
InglisHill

equipment: Pot, Reflux......

Return to Reflux Stills