new still

Reflux still design and discussion

new still

Postby Aqua Elf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi, im new here and am interested in purchasing a new distiller for making great tasting Vodka and Gin.
i believe the type of Still i need is a "reflux" unit. (correct me if this is wrong please)
my main goal is to produce quality Vodka of the same quality that we can purchase at the local grog shop.
my question is.

*is the two common Distiller packages i find at most of the Home brew stores, "pure distilling" and the other is T500 ? the best units for a beginner that is looking for a quality unit ?
or is there some better options.

*also the "pure distiller" states there unit will regulate the temp with minimal changes from the user, is this true ?

all input welcome thanks
. Elf
Aqua Elf

equipment: dont have one yet, here for advice on the model to get....

Re: new still

Postby C2H6O » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:35 pm

Hey mate I haven’t used either of those units but from what I can gather you are looking at the bottom end on the scale as far as quality.
Sorry if you have said this elsewhere but are you a little bit handy around the shed (no great skill required). How do you feel about making your own still? There are plenty of plans on here and in all honesty a boka or VM with a nice tall packed section will have a better output than either of those still you recommended. Just a suggestion, sure others who have used the stills you mentioned and can help out.

Good luck
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Stop saying 'as good as the grog shop', Elf... We're not at all joking when we say you'll be making better.

I'd seriously be looking at building a LM and/or VM reflux... Not very hard, cheaper than the HBS stills and your product will be even better again :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Aqua Elf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Stop saying 'as good as the grog shop', Elf... We're not at all joking when we say you'll be making better.

I'd seriously be looking at building a LM and/or VM reflux... Not very hard, cheaper than the HBS stills and your product will be even better again :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ha, i say that because my previous experience with home distill has been just OK....
Aqua Elf

Postby 1 2many » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:44 pm

If you are thinking of purchasing mate I believe there is some new refflux stills arriving at 5Star soon i think.

Just do some research on exactly what you want before jumping in to quick. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby mattcoffs » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Aqua Elf wrote: *also the "pure distiller" states there unit will regulate the temp with minimal changes from the user, is this true ?

I have a T500, and in my opinion runs too fast/hot. I don't believe it regulates anything, it's just 2000w all the time.
I've built a power attenuator as many others have, you'll find much info on the forums about them.

It runs too fast/hot with my packed column pot head, anyway. I can't speak for reflux though unfortunately.
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:22 am

Aqua elf. The pure distiller still AFAIK has a restrictor in the outlet which sets the maximum you can draw from it and indirectly this sets the minimum purity you can get.
In otherwords, it doesn't matter how hard the operator turns the handle , it will only put out a certain amount....guess you could say it regulates...but bad choice of words.

The upside is that you can always close the handle and reduce even more the output , this will increase the quality of the spirit coming out but will lengthen the time to do a run ......its all about trade offs if you want quality IE a higher ABV then the still must reflux more and this means it will take longer to produce.

BTW the handle on a pure spirits still will be as tich as fuck to adjust if you do this..The idea of the handle on this particular still is more as an on/off device .Closed for initial full refluxing to allow time for the nasties to work to the front of the que nd then open the gate to let it out.

Personally I cry everytime I see a still in a hbs .They are overpriced for what they are .I built mine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:56 am

Furthermore regarding pure distiller still and the temperature regulation.
These stills are Boka liquid management stills and the output temperature is irrelavant.
They have a reflux condenser coil in the top and so long as sufficent water flows through it, it will work and put out spirit.
If there is no or insufficent water flow it will not condense and vapour will leak out the top .
These are sold as pretty idiot proof stills requiring little or no driver skills.Pleased I dont have one
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Aqua Elf » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 am

Thanks for the input..... Definitely quality is what I want, no point in doing it other wise.
And non of us like doing thins twice, so a good still strait up is the best choice im sure...
The main reason I was looking at a HBS or pre made still is the fact it is compleat and an for a first timer "compleat" and then I can just focus on the ingredients and method....
Aqua Elf

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:07 am

Just hold your wallet for a bit mate, Mac will have what you're looking for, at the price you're looking for, in the FSD store soon...

In the meantime, keep reading reading reading so you're ready to roll when they become available.

One thing that you can't do in this hobby is rush ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:11 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Just hold your wallet for a bit mate, Mac will have what you're looking for, at the price you're looking for, in the FSD store soon...

In the meantime, keep reading reading reading so you're ready to roll when they become available.

One thing that you can't do in this hobby is rush ;-)

Yeah our modular double reducer boks are only a few weeks away and will be in the right price range, just enough time to get ferments going & learn about a bunch of other stuff.... there's so much more to distilling than just grabbing a still, and none of it is instant :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby C2H6O » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:02 pm

MacStill wrote: just enough time to get ferments going

Good point that. Have a look at this recipe if your keen on making a nice neutral or vodka

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=170

This will take a couple of weeks to ferment and will benefit from a bit of time just to rest so you may as well start on something like this now.

The HBS will advise that you use turbo yeast that will make more alcohol in just a few day, this is true but it also tastes terrible.

Good luck
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Aqua Elf » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:17 am

Bump..... Any other people with "pure distiller's" reflux unit expiriance ?
Aqua Elf

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:55 am

Hey mate there is a heap of info on these rigs :handgestures-thumbupleft:

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/searc ... distilling
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Canuck » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:57 am

hey Aqua, I'm certainly not an expert by any stretch. I have built three different stills according to the information contained in this web site. from a 1.5 inch pot, to a 3 inch vm, with very good results. My advice to you would be if you are handy and inclined.....read tons and build one. most fun I've had in ages... otherwise skip the rest and buy a done deal with five star. God knows I wish they were in Canada, wife would'nt like it though.
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Hey Canuck,

What's the 3" VM run like ?

Pretty hard to beat a well built 3" VM for a dedicated neutral still IMHO, got any pics you'd like sharing ? :smile:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Canuck » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:50 am

just really finished it, learning to drive right now. first wash available was a canadian dark malt ferment. ran it with a half dozen scrubbies to 80-82%... hearts really taste like a nice whiskey. its seven foot from the pot to the top of the condenser, there is a two inch takeoff with a .5 meter 2" shotty PC. RF condenser is triple wound with a 3/4" cold finger.Heat source is a induction cooker. heats the pot in about an hour, pot is an 8 gal stainless induction job from brewhaus. Modular can do pot etc. thought I didnt have enough distance between takeoff and condenser so added on a bit with a tail pipe expander worked a treat. Sorry if this is off thread, but I really like the building part of this hobby, also the sampling, was wondering about a 4 plate setup. so do you have to have sight glasses or can you just slide in some plates? sights give you feedback on how its running, flooding etc?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:03 am

Canuck wrote: sights give you feedback on how its running, flooding etc?

Yep, they are there to indicate to the distiller how the run is progressing.

They're not a necessity but are a damn fine thing to have.

TBH, I hardly use mine and go by output, ABV, and smell.. but everyone's different. I notice other things going on before the bottom glass indicates tails, this is just me and some others may use the glasses a bit more.

Being in touch with the run.. i.e. what the product coming out of the parrot is doing compared to looking at the the base of the column has worked for me, I kinda know where I'm at with certain runs and go by flavours and smell.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Canuck » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:22 am

thanks Urrazeb maybe Ill rig some perf plates and run blind to see what happpens. sorry seems a bit of a hijack, sorry Aqua.
Canuck

Return to Reflux Stills