My adventure with a Keggomax CM still

Reflux still design and discussion

My adventure with a Keggomax CM still

Postby Reflux1 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Hope this is the correct place to post
As a novice I liked to hear accounts of how people distil. Especially using the same equipment I have. So hopefully this may help someone. Here is my account of distilling my 3rd wash. My first two wash’s distilled at 87%, the second at 93%. My present wash is a 26l TPW, which at this moment is coming of the still at 94 to 95%.
I have a Keggomax Coolant Managed (CM) still on a 30l electric boiler. Both purchased on ebay. After my first attempts, and lots of reading my modifications were:
1. Insulated the still from top to bottom in a black foam pipe insulation material. The stuff you used to put on your car roof racks.
2. I run a pipe to the reflux condenser from the garden tap.
3. I run a separate pipe from a 1000l tank to the other condenser. I found this much better than using a manifold. When you change the flow on one side of a manifold it does change the flow on the other side making it very hard to control. Just working on one valve is easier to control.
4. I control the water flow with a brass gate valve which is accurate enough for the condenser flow control. I don’t think an expensive needle valve is needed for water flow. OK for LM stills.
5. I added 3 more stainless steel scrubbers to the factory supplied setup.
6. I try to control the temperature at 76 to 78 degrees. At this temperature it gives. 94.5 to 95% . However the flow rate is very slow. A few hours for 1000ml’s.
7. If I decrease the water flow to bring the temp up to 79.5 degrees the flow rate increases substantially. However the ABV drops to 93 to 94.
Compared to my initial attempts I think this is a good. These mods produced an excellent result. This type of still does require constant supervision.to maintain the temp. Especially in my situation as I am on tank water and the pressure pump results in a fair bit of flow variance in the water supply. Although I say keep the temp at 77 to 78degrees it does move from 70 to 79degrees as the pump pressure changes. However I still believe I am getting good quality at 95 % ABV. Taste wise.87% to 92% was not that greater a difference or noticeable difference in taste. In fact I thought the 87% was nice . Although they say not use temp as a guide to the % of alcohol, in these stills you use it to determine flow rate of the coolant. At 76 to 78 degree’s seems to give the best flow of water in the reflux condenser to achieve 94 to 95 % ABV. Hope this is helpful.
When I start the still I let it run with high water flows to get complete reflux occurring for the first 15 minutes when it reaches temp then start collecting
Sorry no pics. Camera is stuffed
Reflux1

equipment: Keggomax CM Refux still 30litre boiler

Re: My adventure with a Keggomax CM still

Postby Reflux1 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:10 am

My 94.5% was 93.7%. Forgot to make temperature adjustment. Temp of distillate was 25 degrees
Reflux1

equipment: Keggomax CM Refux still 30litre boiler

Postby Marbled » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:35 pm

I'm far from being expert, and I don't know your set up, but what I do know is if your column has removable packing, get it out and clean the hell out of it. Pays HUGE dividends.
Good luck with it all and read lots here. You'll only do yourself a shedload of good.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Postby vicmar » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi,
I have the same setup as you. Added a 30cm 2" extension and another 2.4 electrode from Mac. Takes 45 min to get up to temp and then the 2.4 is turned off.
Packed the still with copper mesh mostly with only a couple of ss pot scrubbers and a tap to cut off the reflux cooler for stripping which I haven't done as the product is good enough on one pass.
Getting around 91% from my TPW brew.
I have just started a Plum Brandy wash and intend to use the CM still without the packing to emulate a pot still. Hope it works and retains the Plum taste.
vicmar

equipment: Pot & a reflux with a 30cm extension
50l Kg with 2.2 & 2.4kw

Return to Reflux Stills