budget boka

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: budget boka

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Mad wrote:Ive got a lot of pressure build up fom the condensor coil n its causing leaks further down at the tap and hose end. Im assuming is just from the reduction to from 3/4 garden hose to 1/4" coil. Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated

Shitty hose connections?

Good looking rig by the way :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Mad » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:06 pm

Yeah a couple of dodgy 1s i got to fix. Im bit concerned with that much pressure that even new ones sill fit or even brass ones lol
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:11 pm

I've had brass ones leak as well.

Just need to keep trying until you get it sorted. Even those cheap pope ones when they are new seem pretty good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:20 pm

looks great man!!
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:27 pm

:clap: looking good mad.
Now for some flavored washes :teasing-tease:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby woodduck » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Nice job mad, looks great :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This may sound a bit obvious but, have you tryed turning the tap off a bit. It's only 6mm tube and your trying to jam mains pressure from a 1/2" hose into it. It only needs to flow through the coil no need for pressure.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Mad » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:35 pm

haha yeah wood. first time i did it i didn't think and just cranked it because that's what I'm used to. 2nd time i went slow but it still had the same result. we have pretty good/high mains pressure which wil be my challenge. top quality fittings all around otherwise it will be no quick connects for this baby and they'll all be polly screw connections lol I'm not giving up this close to the end.

you know it rummy!
I've got it planned out:
vinigar cleaning run and a stripped wash that im going to waste through it
throwing a tpw through it that's ready to go for some neutral cuz i havent made anything for so long
then onwards and upwards to the flavoured rums never to look back
Last edited by Mad on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby benpandaae86 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:37 pm

Looks good mate glad the staino got ya goin

I use a t500 water valve for fine control after my tap

Happy stillin
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby scythe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:06 pm

You could just turn down the tap.
Or install a pressure limiter.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Mad » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Sure did ben id srill be hunting for it if u didnt put up the offer. This build and budget only came about because of some champion efforts.
I'll fix up my few dodgy fittings and go from there if i still csnt get control over the bsck pressure from the pipe ill have to add some sort of regulator before the still i definatly dont wanna be blowing lines mid run and wasteing my time.
Mad

Postby P3T3rPan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:14 am

scythe wrote:You could just turn down the tap.
Or install a pressure limiter.

:text-+1: to the limiter cos turning down the tap will only reduce the flow(amount), not the pressure (force)
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby benpandaae86 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:53 pm

This is the t500 needle valve for water control it has about a 5mm orfice

I use one these its about $17 from a hbs or look online
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MacStill on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link - read the rules about advertising !!
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Mad » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:26 pm

Bnnch of new hose fittings fixed my dramas this morning and allowed me to continue with the final prepping stages

The new dolly awaiting wheels and a drain hole

Fully plumbed found a leak
Fixed said leak :)) :)) :)) I wasn't stopping now I could smell a cleaning run coming on!

First drops hitting the bucket! Cleaning run 40%low wines 35ltrs.

I'll post a picture or 2 of my controller tomorrow but my temperature screen is temporary as I've decided I don't need alarms etc.

Overall successful run Solid output. I played around a bit , water flow only slightly due to the leak didn't want to push it, but needle valve etc whole run was heated up full tilt at 3600w no adjustments necessary unlike the lil super reflux that's now obsolete lol

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-thankyoublue:
Mad

Postby WalterWhite » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:54 pm

Awesome job mate ... Looking real good. Very jealous but starting my journey tomorrow when I buy my keg :)
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:21 am

Looks good mate!

Probably didn't need to use 35L of low wines for a cleaning run though!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Mad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:28 am

Hehe zak i was a bit sad to see that much neutral sitting there, srill not sure what ill do with it now too much for "cleaning" lol. but it had my old alcometer blow apart in it and i wasnt sure about the weights if they were lead etc and not like i wasted much money just a bit of time.... but now i have bout 12-13ltrs of 70% im not sure what to do with haha. Plus its damn clean now couple hours running time gave it a good work out lol.

Benny i started with the 5ltr ss reflux too. Still have it. Fyi if u break your clamping ring for the pot they dont make them anymore so best have a welding friend lol. If you have any questions about it just ask.
Mad

Postby Mad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:03 am

Oh and incase anyone was wondering even with a leak the pc knocks out any temp haha 20/21 deg output all day long :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Mad

Postby WalterWhite » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:24 am

Cheers mad....
This particular version of the reflux is so old it doesn't even have a clamp ... It's the pre-clamp version so I will only be using it outside where it's well ventilated!
Having said that did a cleaning run with vinegar and water and used a mirror to check everywhere for vapour leaks and there weren't any so it seals well.
Very keen to see how your shiny new boka goes once you get used to it :)
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby Mad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:32 am

Plan on stripping 50ltr tpw tonight if all goes well, used bit more silicon last night on the leak hopefully nearly 24hrs is enough cure time will get it plugged properly for next wknd. Its so minor im not worried
Mad

Postby Mad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:57 am

Theres the temporary temp display. Ive set an alarm for 90deg just to see what happens on the display if its audiable or what because the instructions r uselss lol. It would be a bice indicator incase u do get side tracked working on other things in the shed at the time

Like my project last night was on the bench behind the still had my mate there too keeping an eye on things too as it was wiring for him
Building a bluetooth race wheel with paddle shifts for him well wiring it he can do the rest lol
Mad

PreviousNext

Return to Reflux Stills