Reflux packing material

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Reflux packing material

Postby Irritable » Wed May 27, 2015 10:50 pm

If I remove the majority of the packing in the column, and only have cooling lines running to the condenser - then this should work just like a small pot still. I'd retain some copper very loosely packed in the column.
I have noted that some people have split the water lines on these stills, so you can keep the column hot and vapour rising but can use reflux condenser the same as a "worm" in a pot set up.
Irritable

equipment: Super Reflux that aint so super but aint so reflux :)

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu May 28, 2015 6:04 am

Will you be able to run enough water through to knock it down :think:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Pete8686 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:41 am

The reflux these stills provide is minimal so just running your cooling lines to the condenser for flavoured washed shouldnt be a problem. I have a homemade still of very similar design and will be running it as a pot this weekend
Pete8686

equipment: 2' stainless boka, copper coil. Homemade pot

Postby Irritable » Thu May 28, 2015 12:54 pm

with a reasonably tight packing(tighter than purchased and a mix of materials) - I could maintain full reflux with a decent water flow.
I think for running this grain wash ill place nothing but a few very loose copper saddles.
Not sure if ill have time to split water lines so will probably run as per normal cooling set up but lot less water to knock down abv
Si.
Irritable

equipment: Super Reflux that aint so super but aint so reflux :)

Postby hillzabilly » Thu May 28, 2015 1:42 pm

Exsitable wrote:Its amazing the effect packing can have...
I have a grain wash bubbling away at present, ill be removing 30% of packing(all of the ceramics) and using copper / stainless only, when I run this particular wash, and ill be trying to pull some flavour through.
Now I know I can achieve full reflux - it just gives me some additional options to explore.
I think my next move is too split the cooling lines as others have done and well...I think I'm going to stick with this hobby so a new unit might just be on the cards...but I think I might keep my little SR - its taught me a lot and I might try and develop it a little.
If you look at the conical shape at the bottom of the SR's as they enter the boiler, well in my mind this is a perfect centering ring(would have to drill some small holes in the conical section to allow vapour through), but is that into the cooling jacket?!? - it's definitely asking to be increased in length, I know extensions were being sold but not sure why they stopped selling them...from interim calculations the unit could take 300-500 mm of extension to the column which would help with abv.
Si

With my 25lt boiler I found that with a reflux still full of packing I could use a 2000wt element ,but fitted as a pot still a 1000wt or 1500wt element gave a much better result .I drilled another hole in the boiler so I could use both for heat up and then switching of one for the rest of the run,this is when you realize that a power control can be a handy bit of kit , personally I donot use one ,I have a good variety of elements and trail a few combinations to get the best result for each still and product ,just the way I like it plenty of things to make ya think.Sorry there are other packing material's like broken windscreen glass and marbles I have seen used but that sounded like a bad combination to me if something went wrong ,tube full of that going bang ! no thanks.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills