Butterfly valve for reflux still?

Reflux still design and discussion

Butterfly valve for reflux still?

Postby toil » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:38 pm

I bought a new 2" butterfly valve on amazon to replace a crappy ebay gate valve that leaks when fully closed on my 3" vm still. The new one was only $40 US (and the same again for delivery). I didn't really look too closely but saw it had an epdm seal and was reduced from $360 US and just pulled the trigger. Anyway, i got it today and it looks great. My question is this safe? (Yeah, i know, i should have asked before i bought it.)

Dixon B5101E200CC-C Stainless Steel 316L Butterfly Valve with Trigger Handle and EPDM Seal, 2" Tube OD

41QHjB2J3PL._SY400_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
toil

equipment: 3" VM still
2" pot still
Pure distilling reflux still gathering dust

Re: Butterfly valve for reflux still?

Postby toil » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:53 pm

OK so maybe I am a bit of a tool for not asking the above question before buying but I am an impulsive bastard. Does anyone have any thoughts about this valve being exposed gaseous ethanol for the take off of a VM still? From what I know EPDM is better then silicone in terms of resistance to ethanol but not as good as PTFE. The advantage of EPDM over PTFE is that it is more flexible. I couldn't get much info from the manufacturers website.
toil

2" pot still

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:55 pm

It should be fine, mate, as far as being alcohol safe.

I'm not sure you'll have fine enough control with a butterfly valve though?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby woodduck » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:57 pm

Sorry mate i don't know much about the tap but i do know that epdm is fine with alc so you should be all good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It's a flash looking tap btw, hope it works well for ya.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby toil » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks for the relies guys - good to get you thoughts about safety to put my mind at ease.

Yeah woodduck the valve is flash as. Really well machined and polished.

Zak, I was wondering about the fine control also. I am going to convert my still from vm to vm/lm so I wasn't too worried but interestingly it has a sprocket a number of positions. The "most closed" one only has about a millimeter gap around the edge. I wonder how many drops per second that would end up letting through - might be OK to take off the heads (cause I will take forever to convert the still to vm/lm). There is a video of the valve from the manufacturer linked below (to be honest I have seen more interesting vids on the internet but for those with a stainless fetish it might be OK).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFJWTAn ... e=youtu.be
toil

2" pot still

Postby Mrs Mac » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi Toil

Once you use this valve you will find that it will after a few uses fully close, 99% of butterfly valves are like this to start with because of the tight fit to the seal.
Unfortunately because of the spring loaded handle and the positions it has notched for its holding positions it is not very good for or recommended for flow control. Your best option for flow control is a gate valve as this is there sole designed purpose. Bunnings, your local hardware store or plumbing store will be your best bet for the gate valve.

Cheers
Mrs Mac
@};-
Mrs Mac
Lifetime Member

equipment: bubble wrap
sticky tape gun
stanley knife

Postby andybear » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Your butterfly valve looks like the type used in the dairy industry. Very cool, but unfortunately not good for controlling flow. Even ball valves aren't that good, although many people here use them with success. Needle valves are the best and next would be globe valves, but these are very hard to come by.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby MacStill » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:42 am

A stainless gate valve will be your best option for fine control on a VM still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby toil » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanks for all your feedback. I may have bought the wrong thing it seems. Wondering if I build a VM/LM head and use the LM to drain off the fores and the heads and then open up the butterfly valve to let out the hearts - wishful thinking? (I need to stop drinking and online shopping)
toil

2" pot still

Return to Reflux Stills