power vs diameter

Reflux still design and discussion

power vs diameter

Postby WTDist » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:32 am

Thought i would post this here as to not spin the other thread of topic :-D

TheMechwarrior wrote:That table is a mock-up for a generic packed column neutral rig. Take with a grain of dust if you like, for me when toying with very large column concepts this gives me an idea of how much power MIGHT be required.

The build in question is not located on this forum.
That said, there are plenty of great VM designs here for you to work from, a VM is a simple still, no need to overcomplicate it.

Ok i see. Leaves me wondering though with my 2" T500. Its 59cm tall (including where the condenser is) and has an element of 2000W.
I find it runs very different on single runs vs low wines with more joules released from water vapor than the higher volume of ethanol joules in a low wines wash. Maybe the T500 should have a standard power controller to stop smearing or over powering? I sometimes wonder if 2kW is too much on low wines with the T500 :think:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: power vs diameter

Postby Clickeral » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:52 am

2000w is probably too much, I can run my 4" bubbler with 4 plates on 2400w no issue

I think its so high due to reducing heat up time and most consumers who buy the T500 (no offense) want something that runs fast

I have 4800w of power for my 4" now and I can easily flood it, next upgrade is some more plates and a packed section to see if I can reduce that, otherwise I just unplug one element at temp or throttle the power back (2800-3000w)

I have heard that VM columns can't be flooded and that you just increase diameter to increase flow rates, height increase for quality?

Correct me if I am wrong
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Re: power vs diameter

Postby Sam. » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Any still can be flooded in the right conditions.

As for VM it can be flooded, if it was flooded at a certain power input increasing diameter would help solve it.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Reflux Stills