First VM build

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: First VM build

Postby TheMechwarrior » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:42 am

1200 and 300 is identical to my first VM. We'll be able to compare performance data :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby hsv8 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Mech, I couldn't go past this piece of 3" today at the scrap yard. Our performance data may be a little different now due to my column width?

Got all the 1/2" and most of the 3/4" off a bloke at work, so only had to buy the column and the fittings. Total spend so far: $75. Very happy. Still need to buy a 3"-2" reducer though, and a 2" Tri clamp.

Had a quick go at an easy flange this arvo; (not sure if you can see in the picture) but now I understand why they have that name! Brilliant idea.

I am intending to use the 2" easy flange and a 3"-2" reducer for the base, but just throwing it out there, would this 3" ss fitting (that screws straight into my keg) work if it was soldered to the base of the column? If so, would you use hard solder or soft solder?

Looking forward to doing some soldering!

Cheers,

Hsv8.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hsv8

equipment: Just finished building a 3" VM on a 50L keg. Yet to try it out.

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:58 pm

Some good parts at a great price there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
In regards to the 3inch fitting i wouldn't bother with it.
You would have to silver solder it and the heat will aneal the tube so when you try to screw it on you will most likely twist the pipe to get it to seal :think: much easier to use a ezy flange and a reducer :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Have a go at making your own reducer :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby hsv8 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:37 am

Thanks Rum, good thinking. I'll stick with the 3"-2" reducer/triclamp method. Did you make your own from rolled copper plate?

My father in law gave me the 1/2" ball valve in the picture below. Judging by the colour of the cut near the handle, I reckon it has a brass body, but is chromed on the inside with a ss ball. Can chrome be in the vapour path? Or should I keep looking for an all-stainless valve?

Cheers,

Hsv8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hsv8

Postby scythe » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:39 am

Nope not chrome plated, they are nickel plated.
I would look for a stainless one.

The actual ball part of the ball valve might be stainless tho.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:00 am

scythe wrote:Nope not chrome plated, they are nickel plated.
I would look for a stainless one.

The actual ball part of the ball valve might be stainless tho.

:text-+1:

Yes i did make my own out of 2inch split pipe flattend out.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby hsv8 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:57 am

Thanks Rum and Scythe. I've got a few places to call today to chase up a ss valve.

Did a search on here for thermometer position, and while there was some info on thermometer type, didn't really find what I was looking for. Originally I wanted to mount the thermometer vertically in the take off pipe, just before the ball valve, but with a 5" stem, that's not really possible (or accurate I'm guessing?). What do you think of this for thermometer position?

Cheers.

Hsv8
hsv8

Postby TheMechwarrior » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:34 pm

It needs to be in the offtake section just before the ball valve.
I mounted mine on an angle, in a 1.5" offtake, that worked.

In the position you've shown you'll be measuring a combination of the vapour temperature and the condensate falling off your RC.
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Undertaker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:45 pm

Dunno what sort of workshop, or skills you've got but you could just neck the 3" down to size.
Image Image
Admitedly thats 2" down to 1 1/4 but its wasnt difficult to do.

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby hsv8 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:28 pm

Thanks Mech. Yes, I was also concerned about the accuracy of the temperature measurement, taking it from the position in the diagram.

Originally I wanted to mount the thermometer just before the valve, as you suggested. However, I'm concerned that with a 3/4" take off pipe, there won't be a lot of thermometer in there to take a reading. With the majority of the spike exposed to the atmosphere, wouldn't that affect the accuracy of the measurement?

Phil, nice work! Did you do just do that on the anvil?

Cheers,

Hsv8
hsv8

Postby hsv8 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:49 pm

G'day fellas,

Finally got some time off to spend in the shed. Here's some pictures of the progress, and the final product. Can't wait to try it out. Thank you so much to everyone that helped me along the way.

Apparently you'll need to click on the pictures to get them in the right orientation. Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Hsv8.

Product condenser: 3/4" pipe x 800mm long for the water jacket, 2x 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/4" tees (with shoulders knocked out to allow the inner pipe through) and a 1/2" inner pipe for the steam
IMG_1947.JPG

I solved the thread-to-capillary fitting issue by using a couple of pieces of the old school "screw in" copper. It's slightly bigger than standard 3/4", and is designed to have a thread cut into it. My father in law then turned the other side down on the lathe for me, back to standard 3/4" OD.
IMG_1949.JPG

My father in law also machined this takeoff pipe for me using the mill.
IMG_1951.JPG

My father in law didn't like my hand-beaten easy flange, so he spun this up on the lathe for me.
IMG_1955.JPG

I then thickened the flange up with a 1/4" ring beaten flat, and lots of solder.
IMG_1962.JPG
hsv8

Postby hsv8 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:54 pm

Here's the reflux condenser. 2x 1/2" x 300mm u-shape pipes. I wrapped these with staino scrubbers before fitting to the top of the column.
IMG_1965.JPG

And here's the finished product, ready for service.
IMG_1970.JPG

Cheers,

Hsv8.
hsv8

Postby maddogpearse » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:05 pm

Hope you've got a sacrificial wash ready to run maloo. Good stuff! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:20 pm

Mate! Very nice build, you have done well there. Nice work. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now get some low wines in that thing and show us how she goes! :happy-partydance:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby hsv8 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:38 am

Thanks for the kind words Maddog and Urrazeb. Hopefully she's up to the task.

Just trying to learn how to drive it now. Not rushing into anything just yet (despite the fact that I'm busting to fire it up!).

Cheers,

Hsv8.
hsv8

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills