TPW with Pure Distilling reflux

Reflux still design and discussion

TPW with Pure Distilling reflux

Postby Matstx » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:10 am

Hey Guys
Ive recently purchased my first still and after a "bit" of research on here I decided to run a TPW straight up and avoid the turbo wash. Id like to ask those in the know if I'm on the right path or not. So I threw down my first wash this avo as per Macs recipe and is bubbling away nicely. Hydrometer is at 1070 after 3 hrs. Temp was at 32C initially and has come down to 30C after a couple of hrs. My question is when all is fermented, cleared and I'm ready to cook off, do I just put on the condenser and cook as per a turbo wash or do I have to drain off and get rid of any sediment at the bottom. I plan on double distilling minus the foreshot. Also any advice on speed, as the instructions say start on slow setting for fores then full noise through the rest of the run.
TIA
Mat
Matstx

equipment: Pure Distilling

Re: TPW with Pure Distilling reflux

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:34 am

generally you ferment in a fermenter and distill in a boiler. 8-}
so yes remove all sediment before distilling. same goes for turbos

yeast and other sediment in the boiler will scorch and cause "off flavours"
use a separate vessel to ferment, "a fermenter" then when cleared, remove clear liquid( syphon, drain etc) to add to your "boiler" to distill.
I suggest you read up on cuts( Eg Fores, Heads, Hearts, Tails ) for how to run.
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby Matstx » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:15 am

Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure I had to remove sediment but wasnt sure as the still I have is aimed at turbos which ferment in the boiler. Now I think about it, in the video, he runs out the turbo into supplied buckets then cleans the boiler before returning the wash for distilling. Might be beneficial to grab me a fermenting vessel. Ive read the cuts post and I'm pretty confident on the procedure. Just have to do the practical and teach my palate.
Cheers
Mat
Matstx

equipment: Pure Distilling

Postby Undertaker » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:00 am

Just ferment in the bucket, then when done rack off into the boiler. Lots of goop dries on the sides of my fermenters around the liquid level line and needs water and rubbing to remove. Be a bastard to do that constantly in the boiler. Also if you are doing Generations you can keep your yeast bed undisturbed in the bucket.
I've found the "Maxi Pail" from hardware stores to be ideal as fermenters

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby J-boy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:16 pm

Hey Matstx, I'm in the same boat you were in. Just about to grab a Pure Distilling Reflux Still and TPW. I'd be interested to know how you went and how it turned out & any tips you may have :-D
J-boy

equipment: Pure Distilling | Spirit Maker (LM) Reflux Still w/ Copper mesh

Postby maddowse » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:58 am

Im only new (i went the t500 route).
You will soon find it wont be about making moonshine but more about how much you want to practice. So do your self a favor buy a 60L fementer and some 30L buckets so you can do more runs more often .

TPW what the single greatest improment in my drink and i never did cuts then .
Today is my first day starting to do cuts so im sure ill be blown away even more.
Its a great hobby . And youll find your self giving a heap away so you can make more and try different things .

Enjoy
maddowse

equipment: T-500 reflux still , voltage controller and a home made stainless pot still

Postby WTDist » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:05 am

I dont give mine away, i age it on oak and keep it to myself :))

I do share though, just dont give it away
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby maddowse » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:25 am

WTDist wrote:I dont give mine away, i age it on oak and keep it to myself :))

I do share though, just dont give it away

Yeah the stuff iv made untill now i oaked for about 2 months then added essence . I have about 30L of the stuff so yeah i take 2 bottles where ever i go and leave whats left . My mates love it.
My next batch will be a cornflakes whisky through the pot still only so that ill age and the rest following untill my supply get low and ill make some with the reflux again
maddowse

equipment: T-500 reflux still , voltage controller and a home made stainless pot still

Postby wedwards » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:13 am

I only run my TPW when its fully cleared. That can sometimes mean leaving it for a month or more after fermentation completes to have all the particles fully settle out. I ferment in a big 230L container with big open lid, so I can get a 5L bucket in there and take it from the top, but if you are doing 30L batches in a traditional fermenter from brew shop, I would check that its clear by opening the lid carefully at the top, then when you crack the tap on the bottom just take a small amount to remove the yeast plug and discard that (maybe 100-200ml), and from then on it should run clear until you get near the bottom. I dont try and get too stingy about the last little bit in the bottom of the fermenter as it costs stuff all to make, so why include a bit of residual yeast and crap when you are chasing a pure product.

As others have said, get a few more 30L buckets/fermenters so you can do multiples runs etc, as it can get frustrating waiting for the next ferment to clear properly before you are able to run it (especially in the early stages while you are wanting to do multiple runs to learn your cuts etc etc).

Also be aware that this time of year and winter in general are good times for fermenting washes because once they are finished, they will clear fairly quickly in the cold weather if you have them stored outside. You can ferment inside (if your dragon allows) so that it ferments quicker, then carry your fermenter outside and leave it in the cold for a week (assuming you can physically move it).
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Return to Reflux Stills