Starting the 2" reflux build.....

Reflux still design and discussion

Starting the 2" reflux build.....

Postby HiString » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:56 pm

OK, as I've stated elsewhere, this project started close to five years ago but was put on hold after our work factory was destroyed in a fire and time was needed to recover from that, so.........over the last few weeks I've been catching up on research and started my 2" reflux build. What was originally going to be a slant plate boka has evolved into a bit more........my double helix condenser is straight forward but rather than the slant plates I've opted for this as the reflux head..............
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HiString

Re: Starting the 2" reflux build.....

Postby warramungas » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:33 am

Now that's just showing off. :sad:
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby WalterWhite » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:58 am

Well, you've spiked my curiosity ... Looking forward to the rest of the build
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby HiString » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:37 pm

Progress hasn't been as fast as I'd like but I thought I'd post a couple of pics taken this week of the first trial assembly of the column. I was given two 50ltr kegs which was a blessing. There's more work to be done but it's progressing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HiString

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:47 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
looking good.
what are you thinking for a PC ?
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby HiString » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:33 am

I have enough copper of various sizes to have choices. The simplest would be a liebig but as is probably obvious from my reflux head, I like to step outside the box.

One thing I'm trying to get my head around is the positioning of a needle valve. Assuming I'm using a PC to a parrot, wouldn't be better to have the needle valve at the final product outlet rather than mounted off the reflux head.......this will probably influence my choice of PC.

Cheers.
HiString

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:51 am

I recommend you put the needle valve as close to the head as possible to avoid smearing.
the longer distance will encourage smearing.
if worried about adjustment lag time, place a break and a cup collection at the top to set the output without lag
Meatheadinc

Postby HiString » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:10 am

Meatheadinc wrote:I recommend you put the needle valve as close to the head as possible to avoid smearing.
the longer distance will encourage smearing.
if worried about adjustment lag time, place a break and a cup collection at the top to set the output without lag

Not sure of what you mean by "a break and a cup" :think: Do you mean placing a parrot immediately below the head and needle valve? If so, it was something I'm considering. The parrot outlet could then feed the PC.
HiString

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:30 am

Nope.. parrot in that location would read incorrectly due to heat.

was saying
valve at head.- cut pipe to funnel ( so you can see/set output without lag. then pc ( although product is already liquid, just a cooler to get to parrot abv) then parrot.
Meatheadinc

Postby maddogpearse » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:08 am

Hmm. This is a newie on me. I'm buggered if I can tell how it works. Can someone wise draw me a diagram? :think:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby HiString » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:16 am

The idea came from here ...... viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8194&p=142129#p142129 and you'll find a link to a youtube clip in the third last post.
HiString

Postby scythe » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Needle valve about an inch from your column, so you can set reflux and take off.
As for measuring your take off speed just wait for it to come out the bottom of the condenser.
A leiberg condenser will be simple and not add too much lag time compared to a spiral wound or shotgun design.

Or you could attach a funnel to the top of your condenser of choice like suggested.
But then you will need to have the pc supported on its own, or soldered to the column with braces.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby warramungas » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:21 am

If you want something outside the box for the PC try a graham condenser. I sort of use one (in reverse) on my two inch plated column. Like a massively longer liebig in a smaller package. In all honesty though the time taken from adjusting the needle valve to seeing a flow change is pretty quick. Talking in seconds only and I have about 5 feet of copper tubing and condenser hanging off mine to the measuring point.
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_2in-Graham-Condenser.jpg
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby HiString » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Warra,

That's so close to what I was thinking :text-thankyoublue: ........I have about 1 mtr of 1/4" tube left over and was planning on a long spiral liebig type thing.

Cheers
HiString

Postby HiString » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 pm

Slowly making headway as time allows.

With no disrespect to others' builds, one thing that's bugged me is the cooling water hoses dangling around, consequently, I decided to organise my cooling lines............the end result is that the artist in me kinda took over and things have taken on a "steam punkish" influence.........RC and PC condenser lines are primarily copper running parallel to the column. The liebig PC hangs of brackets soldered to the column, the PC outlet is supported in other brackets which also support the RC lines. Everything is modular........ the overall column to RC is five sections, the liebig and cooling lines are another unit.

Once the vertical aspects are completed I'll post pics which should clarify things, in the mean time I'm scavenging spare $$ for the elements and stuff for my keg.
HiString

Postby Toddles » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:12 pm

I took one look at your first pic and thought "steampunk".

I will shut up and follow closely if you don't mind.
Toddles
Site Donor

equipment: 30 ltr boiler
2" coil pc
3" 1 metre packed stainless for neutral -95.6% abv
3" 370mm unpacked for pot stilling -81% abv + 1/2 inch air cooled worm

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:32 pm

I've got similarish things planned for the cooling lines on the Heart of Gold. Will be watching this one with interest :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Return to Reflux Stills