Insulating column

Reflux still design and discussion

Insulating column

Postby rumbo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi guys,
Just putting some insulation on the column of my CM. Should I put the insulation all the way along the column, including the part that has the reflux condenser on the inside?

Cheers,
Rumbo
rumbo

equipment: Pot still under construction

Re: Insulating column

Postby Peregian » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:18 pm

I covered all of the column except the reflux condenser section. Works well and the column reaches operating temperature much quicker.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby rumsponge » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:25 pm

what do you guys use/recommend for insulation ?
cheers rs
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby Peregian » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:39 am

Local rubber/foam shop would be worth a visit as they seem to stock several types of insulation that would be ideal to wrap around a column.

The type I used had a silver foil on one side and a grey plastic type foam on the other, total thickness about 8mm, just cut to size and wrapped around the column then fixed with zip ties. Used this type of insulation as it seemed that it would be unaffected by water when cleaning the still.

When the weather gets cooler I will do the boiler.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby Undertaker » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:14 am

The big green shed sells pipe insulation in 1mt lengths to fit various diameters. for the bigger diameter copper that we tend to use just split the insulation lengthwise and use 2 or 3 pieces to get around the circumference.

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby rumsponge » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:50 pm

thanks guys,
anyone used this stuff ? Is it good for boiler insulation as well ?

http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/formshield-10mm-wide-black.html

cheers rs
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby WalterWhite » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:52 pm

Seems like an expensive choice mate .... IMHO you are better off getting a cheap rubber exercise mat from rebel and using that. Pretty much the same thing and you can still choose your colour. I use one and it hasn't shown any signs of being effected by the heat.
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:14 pm

I have played around with a insulated CM (plated column)
Are you useing plates or packing.? If packing them insulation is great, if plated it has some downfalls and most do not use it as it can cause smearing of fractions ? Although there are some techniques to mitigate results ?
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby rumsponge » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:35 am

Thanks Meathead,
I will have a 4" plated column. Will definitely insulate the keg boiler, and was planning to use the left overs for the column sections, but now I am confused. Do you have more info on "smearing" with insulated plates ?

Benny,
I believe I can get away with 1 m2 of this stuff, so price not too bad imho. This stuff has a reflective aluminium coating which should be better for heat retention than the standard foam mats.
cheers, RS
rumsponge

Postby WTDist » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:47 am

As an engineer student i feel aluminum will conduct heat faster. the coefficient for rubber is less than .04 and aluminum is around 205. i would go the rubber. see here

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby rumsponge » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:02 am

yes, aluminium will conduct heat faster, but here it is used as a reflective barrier to minimize thermal radiation from the boiler.
Thats at least my understanding...
RS
rumsponge

Return to Reflux Stills