2" boka build

Reflux still design and discussion

2" boka build

Postby nuddy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Hey guys,

I've got back into an old still I started building in 2008 and plan to get it up and running then have a crack at a 4" plate bubbler :) Those things look amazing.

I hear you like pics so I'm gonna start off with a few. If anyone's got any tips or help fire away. I'm relatively new to this and want to learn as much as possible. I've been pouring over the forum and trying to soak up as much as possible.

So starting off 2008.

Single helix condenser

Column and condenser

Boiler

Take off point

Work I've done this year since re starting the project.

Rewound a new double helix condenser

Built an element controller from www.5stardistilling.com.au. Added a cooling fan just in case it got hot. Works a charm.

Built a liebig condenser. It's a 1/4 inch copper tube surrounded by 3/4 copper jacket.

Parrot I'm in the process of building.

The still all together

Now a few questions on what I'm planning on next.

I've since removed the brass fitting on the take off point (was pointed out to me that it was quite possibly a gas fitting and had lead content) and am currently looking for a replacement part. I'm thinking a 3/8" or 1/2" stainless needle valve.

However is it pointless having 1/4" tubing from the take off point through the liebig condenser and down to the parrot? Would I be better off using 3/8" tubing instead?

Left to do:
-Copper mesh for packing. Is there anywhere I can buy it on the Gold Coast?
-Insulation for the column and boiler. Thinking of using rubber yoga matting.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Re: 2" boka build

Postby warramungas » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:30 pm

1/4" for product tubing will be fine. So will bigger but 1/4" is all I've ever used in my LM stills.
Added: Also a 1/4" needle valve will be more than adequate so 1/2 or 3/8 will do too though be more expensive and harder to adjust finely. Make sure you put it at the top of the liebig like the other one you had.
Last edited by warramungas on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:32 pm

I think stainless needle valve will work perfectly.

Your take off is fine.

Copper mesh can pretty well only be found on Macs site (FSD).

Can't comment on the yoga mat. Not sure on whether it would be suitable.

As for your build, it looks great. You've got a good set of skills in metal working :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with when you start on your 4"er.
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby WTDist » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:36 pm

Ive read ohers used yoga mat on boilers so should be ok on the column, but havent done it myself. Was going to try it when i finish
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:06 am

Clark Rubber is worth a visit for foam and foam tube thats made ta handle a bit of heat ,I got some fiarly thick stuff made to cover 2inch roll bars and a roll or two of black duct tape,copper packing from 5Star but suss out how much ya gonna nead,its not allways in stock but is quality and cheap so well worth a small delay,they may also have a needle valve to use as well.Have found thread tape on stainless to stainless threads will seal well and reduce the chance of threads seizeing. cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:20 am

Have you looked at using cardboard as insulation could be placed under the rubber to protect from direct heat .
wynnum1

Return to Reflux Stills