SPP packing

Reflux still design and discussion

SPP packing

Postby HiString » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:20 pm

Just curious how many are using SPP packing in their columns and what are their opinions of it.

Comments on other forums indicate that it is a better alternative to scrubbers or mesh, giving a considerably faster run without compromising quality of the output.
HiString

Re: SPP packing

Postby Darwin award » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Yeah, I've read about it, those that are using it promote the benefits to the point of religious zest....Now maybe that's because it works so very well but that kind of thing enthusiasm makes me nervous :? It also seems pretty expensive.....
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby scythe » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:29 pm

I only know of one user here on this forum.
He had to order it in from the states and i think it was about $300 plus postage.

It does give you faster run times.
Structured copper mesh is your best bang for buck, I believe Macstill has done more in depth research than most, altho maybe not as much as the user here on the forum.

Search the forum for SPP or structured prisimatic packing and you should find the thread.

Russians seem to love it for their vodka making and you can get high output rates for smaller diameter columns, like 5l/hr or more for 2".
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby scythe » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:49 pm

scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:03 pm

Just had a quick snoop,seems ta be for smaller columns,for me going from a 2inch still and 25lt boiler to a 4inch and 8olt boiler gave me a much quicker collection rate and the option of useing plates for flavoured spirits,plus the safety of knowing I was not ringing its neck and worried about flooding or having to use a power control to fine tune it,safety and ease of operation are what motivates my outcomes.If I were solely makeing neutral then I would probably want to give them a try,but I will be keeping an open mind until I have a lot more information as the cost seems a bit high to fill my 4inch still,anyhooo got a pic for any who have not seen the stuff.cheers hillzabilly :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:12 pm

Bang for buck you cannot beat scoria. Similar output figures to spp and much much cheaper. Downside is it does take some time to break it down to desired size to suit column dia.
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby Kenster » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:17 pm

Meat. i use scoria as well... the driveway size...1/4 minus they call it... works well. What size do you use or think is best...larger..1/2''?
I figure 1/4'' has a greater surface area...it does stink up pretty quickly though but with a good boil or two, cleans up quite well.Amazing how much 'greasy shit' it catches.
I did price the spp some time ago but my bank manager said i was already over extended.(ha ha)
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:22 pm

I break my own ( tip: use a tomahawk) and aim for about 1/4 "
Its so cheap i dont bother boiling just get some freash stuff and add the rest to the driveway
Meatheadinc

Postby WTDist » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:41 pm

Is scoria better than standard SS scrubbers?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:24 pm

It depends who you ask but in my mind yes. It can handle a semi aquatic environment just like spp. Eg can be pushed hard
No other packing ive tried can. Eg copper packing or scrubbers
Meatheadinc

Postby HiString » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:31 am

Thanks for the comments guys, pretty well summed up what I'd read around here and HD. Manu on HD sell SPP and it's not too expensive for a 2" boka, especially if available time for runs is an issue.

I'm committed to finishing my 2" LM but already have plans for a 4" plate project, just haven't decided whether to go bubble or perforated.

Cheers.
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertising link
HiString

Return to Reflux Stills