Getting some copper in

Reflux still design and discussion

Getting some copper in

Postby prawnz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi all , Ive got a Still Spirits Super reflux Still , and ive been trying to come up with a way to get some copper in the line without breaking the bank . Copper saddles to exy (she said so b-( ) and today I spotted these copper pot scourer looking things and though that might be a good way ? These things are pure copper no coatings or anything .
So im thinking take out half the ceramic saddles and popping one of the in the top just before the condenser .

Any thoughts ?

Cheers Al
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Re: Getting some copper in

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:57 pm

Where'd you see the copper scourers?
If they are really copper then you're on a winner, I've researched and looked and couldn't find these
In Aus.
Best go is to replace the ceramics with stainless steel scourers.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby prawnz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Was in a little brew shop in Bibra lake , genuine copper for sure .
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby coffe addict » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Or you could get some copper from a scrap yard and cut it up small and use it in place of some ceramics.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:41 pm

prawnz wrote:Was in a little brew shop in Bibra lake , genuine copper for sure .

I would still soak one in water overnight and see if it goes rusty ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kenster » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:48 pm

As Sam says... i got some off Ebay...supposedly genuine copper...turned out to be brass. Just make sure you get the real deal. Any scrappy bits of pipe offcuts are fine if you have trouble getting well priced copper scrubbers. You really need them in the top section of the col not just mixed in with the ceramics, which you will replace with ss scrubbers?
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby prawnz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:06 pm

Pretty sure its copper (couldnt figure out how to upload a pic ) , although I will do the wet it overnight thing to see .

So given its real , how much do I pack into my little reflux column ?

There is a pic of one similar on the forum somewhere but its a grey coloured still spirits super reflux thing , the type with the condenser beside the reflux bit . The reflux column is only about 10 inches .

Cheers Al
prawnz

Postby Kenster » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Fill the col but dont jam it in too tight as you may get surging. If you can blow thru it easily it should be ok. Not too high as to block output tubes.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Return to Reflux Stills