Gin with a twist

Gin with a twist

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:27 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well with another apple cider ferment close to being ready to bottle I always leave enough for my MiniMe to make a drop. So now I'm thinking of stripping several cider wash's then macerating some juniper berries, licorice root, cinnamon, a few stars of anise and some dried lemon and orange peel.

By stripping the cider which will give me a good low wine base to macerate then water down to 40% to run in my MiniMe will make enough for a bottle or a few months of....

A dram a day keeps the Doctor away ( not our Doctor :)) )

In past ciders I have just done several strips then a spirit run and aged the final run at 65% with toasted/charred french oak, one new stick and one that has been used before just so I can get the last of the goodies out of the French Oak. After 6 months the taste of this apple run is close to the best I've done also.

I have found by stripping and doing a spirit run on my MiniMe the final result is on par or better than my 4" bubbler, by putting scrubber in the top of the thumper and putting some 40% neutral in I do find after the run the thumper contents are less than 10% so all the goodness of the neutral comes thru while the lower fractions stay in the thumper.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Gin with a twist

Postby j0sh2008 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Sounds good Bryan.

Let me know how it goes, im intrigued :handgestures-thumbupleft:
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Return to South Australia