Gin recipes & botanicals

Re: Gin recipes & botanicals

Postby GINKING » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:39 pm

Thanks for your replies guys,

I will dilute the neutral down to 45% before macerating (over night) and also try to remove the zest before distilling and add a little liquorice root.

Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

ginking
GINKING

equipment: 4" Neutralizer
Copper Alembic 5L Pot Still

Postby Tesla101 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:25 pm

I did a similar recipe to that the other night:

12g juniper
3g coriander seed
1.2g licorice root
15g pith-less skin of 1 orange

Macerated in 1L of 45% hearts from a TPW wash for 24 hours. Removed the orange peel and put the rest in the boiler.

Distilled it in the pot still at about 30% power (2000W 25L boiler). Take-off rate just a fast drip/dribble.

Discarded the first 10mL and then took 400mL at ~80%. Diluted to 43% and bottled for about 700mL.

Will let it sit for a few weeks before tasting.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Lesgold » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:02 am

That should work out quite nicely. Odin’s gin recipe is a good basis for a gin. Variation like what you have attempted allow for subtle flavour changes. It’s pretty much a fool proof recipe. I have now started using TFFV instead of TPW for neutral for gin making.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby BSC_Kilby » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:26 am

One other thing just so my post is transparent. I use only dried or partially dried botanicals in my gins. I find they give more repeatable results.
BSC_Kilby

equipment: Big still

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:14 am

Lesgold wrote:That should work out quite nicely. Odin’s gin recipe is a good basis for a gin. Variation like what you have attempted allow for subtle flavour changes. It’s pretty much a fool proof recipe. I have now started using TFFV instead of TPW for neutral for gin making.

Thanks Les. Can I ask what was the reason for switching from TPW to TFFV for neutral for gin?
Tesla101

Postby Lesgold » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:14 pm

No big deal really. I found the TPW a little sweet where as the TFFV was a drier neutral. Both still work well.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:02 pm

Thanks again Les. Good to know.

Hope you swing your coil over the gold :handgestures-thumbupleft:

(From an ex-prospector)
Tesla101

Postby GINKING » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:41 am

I ran my second batch with those changes mentioned previously but still tastes too bitter.
There's definitely more flavour after macerating for 23 hours.

I'm starting to think its the juniper that over powering everything else. (to prove this I might just do a juniper only run)...

I'll see what it tastes/smells like in 4 - 5 weeks time.

Do you guys find your gin has more or less juniper taste than your typical commercial gins?
GINKING

Postby Lesgold » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:10 pm

Odin’s gin and variations on it give bold flavours with the citrus being quite a stand out. It’s a lovely summer gin. You could try putting the citrus peel in the vapour path during the run rather than macerating it. Everyone’s perfect gin is going to be different. If you are altering a recipe, I would only make subtle changes and work on one botanical at a time. My favourite recipe follows Odin’s method but citrus peel in reduced by 20%. I also suspend some black pepper corns, Angelica root and lavender flowers in the riser in a cotton bag. My family enjoys this recipe and that’s all that matters to me. I am sure that you will find that sweet spot eventually.
Lesgold

Postby Carol » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi Ginking
I have been using Zymurgy Bob's gin extract as I can adjust the amount of gin-ness to suit my taste. I like a gentle gin. For those people who like a stronger gin you simply add more extract. That might be something else to consider for your gin adventures.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1572

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby peter01010101 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:01 pm

GINKING wrote:I'm starting to think its the juniper that over powering everything else. (to prove this I might just do a juniper only run)...

A little process I found useful was to scale my recipe down and macerate the base/common botanicals separately in 200ml jars (don't re-distill them). I could then taste each one individually and then blend them to my taste. When I found a ratio I liked I could then scale the recipe back.
I think I had 5 jars - juniper, coriander, angelica root, orris root and liquorice.

My favourite recipe to date is:
1 Litre 45% ABV neutral spirit
20g Juniper Berries
10g Coriander seeds
2g Angelica root
2g liquorice root
200mg chamomile flower
1 strip of grapefruit skin
1 strip of lime skin
1 strip of orange skin

Directions: Lightly crush the berries and seeds and add to neutral spirit .
Seal the jar and macerate at room temperature for 14 days. (or 2 days and place all in the boiler to re-distil)
Strain / filter liquor into a potstill (or Airstill)
Place remaining ingredients (roots, flowers and fruit skins) in botanical basket and re-distil slowly.
Discard first 10mls (oils)
Collect 400mls - down to about 60%

Dilute to 45%ABV (@ 20 deg C) and condition in glass for 5 weeks.

Here's a link to a handy bit of info. https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/guides/st ... botanicals
Last edited by peter01010101 on Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter01010101

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser - 2" 'Pelican' Pot - 2" Carter Head gin rig - 2" LM reflux.
50L keg boiler with 2200w weldless element - Mangrove Jacks 25L electric boiler.
Air Still mini still (which I still use regularly)
All grain beer brewing setup.

Postby GINKING » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:14 am

Carol wrote:Hi Ginking
I have been using Zymurgy Bob's gin extract as I can adjust the amount of gin-ness to suit my taste. I like a gentle gin. For those people who like a stronger gin you simply add more extract. That might be something else to consider for your gin adventures.

https://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopi ... =32&t=1572

Cheers
Carol

Very interesting Carol.

Thanks for pointing this one out to me. Do you know if the flavours dissipate out over time?

Ginking
GINKING

Postby GINKING » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:03 am

peter01010101 wrote:
A little process I found useful was to scale my recipe down and macerate the base/common botanicals separately in 200ml jars (don't re-distill them). I could then taste each one individually and then blend them to my taste. When I found a ratio I liked I could then scale the recipe back.
I think I had 5 jars - juniper, coriander, angelica root, orris root and liquorice.

Thanks for your advice Peter,
I'll have to give this method a try at some point :handgestures-thumbupleft: .

Ginking
GINKING

Postby Carol » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:29 am

Hi Ginking
I have a bottle of extract that I made last year (In my little air still) and while it seems to be less strong than when first made I just use a little more if I want more Gin-ness. I made an interesting "gin" extract with szechuan peppers rather than juniper berries as well.

I have made ink gin, ruby gin and blood orange gin using the extract.

I have a batch of extract waiting to be distilled now. This time I macerated the botanicals and then strained them and reused them in another batch. I will see how this one turns out.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby GINKING » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:46 am

Carol wrote:Hi Ginking
I have a bottle of extract that I made last year (In my little air still) and while it seems to be less strong than when first made I just use a little more if I want more Gin-ness. I made an interesting "gin" extract with szechuan peppers rather than juniper berries as well.

I have made ink gin, ruby gin and blood orange gin using the extract.

I have a batch of extract waiting to be distilled now. This time I macerated the botanicals and then strained them and reused them in another batch. I will see how this one turns out.

Cheers
Carol

Nice work Carol, the possibilities are endless - that's why I love this so much.

cheers

Ginking
GINKING

Postby doogie » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:01 pm

Hi All

Has any one made a honey infused gin before? How much did you add, did you put it straight into the pot?

Thanks
doogie

equipment: T500 with stainless steel column for neutral and homemade 2” copper column and Liebig condenser.

Postby RC Al » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:56 pm

Very little of honey will come through a still
Your much better off adding it afterwards to the spirit
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Shano592 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:37 am

I think I'm at the point where I want to experiment with some local flavours. I have done the Bombay Sapphire analog, and a few similar others to really good effect. What I have in my favour is that my partner is a herbalist, and knows the good and bad in our gardens and national parks...

Now, one plant that she has been keen to get into, is the bane of farmers everywhere... is Lantana. Apparently, the variety with the coloured flowers can be used as a lung tonic. The white-flowered one is toxic, fwiw...

We also have growing wild here, sarsparilla, gotu kola and a host of other herbs with benefits. Juniper is bold enough that it can mask some flavours, while I still have all the of the little additives like Grains of Paradise, Allspice, cloves, bergamot skins etc, which carry their own signatures.

I have a wash ready to go now, so this mix might be an interesting one. Perhaps I can call this batch medicine... an excuse to drink more...
Shano592

equipment: .
2" Boka - The Gin Genie - For Sale
2" Pot - The Drunk Pelican
3" Bubbler - The Gin Genie MkII

Postby doogie » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:23 am

RC Al wrote:Very little of honey will come through a still
Your much better off adding it afterwards to the spirit

Thanks Al, I watched a video of Jesse from Still it make some mead and distil it, it came out with a strong honey flavour. Would it still be classified as a gin if it was made with something like that rather than a neutral?

Doogie
doogie

equipment: T500 with stainless steel column for neutral and homemade 2” copper column and Liebig condenser.

Previous

Return to General Gin Chat