Don't have a pot still. How can I make gin with a reflux?

Re: Don't have a pot still. How can I make gin with a reflu

Postby MaKa » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:23 am

BigRig wrote:
MaKa wrote:Depends on the type of still that you have.

It could be as simple as turning off the water supply to the RC and just running water on the PC only.

Can you elaborate more on the type of boka still you are running? LM or VM?

Delayed response it is a VM boka.

Before I start I should say I haven't run a Boka before, however the principle is the same as the FSD neutraliser that I am running. If I am off the mark here hopefully someone will speak up.

Based on your response you should be able to turn your cooling water off and run the still in a pot still mode (I do not have any knowledge on how your cooling water is plumbed up). You will end up letting all vapour pass your reflux cooling coil and into the product condenser.

Not knowing anything about the specifics of your set up there a couple of things to consider:
1. Does your product condenser have sufficient capacity to knock down all vapours produced by the boiler so that you do not have hot vapours exiting with the product. The starting ABV in the boiler will effect the volume of vapour generated, so if unsure of this start on the lower side (but not too low as this will effect the quality of your gin)
2. Make sure there aren't and materials of construction in your still that may not handle the increased head load of running in put still mode. There is plenty of discussion around the T500 and the plastic components of this still not being able to handle the heat load without some reflux running through the still.
3. Required boiler volume to be remaining in the still at the end of a run. I.e. if you have exposed heating elements what sort of volume should be remaining in the still at the end of the run so these elements remain covered with liquid.

I personally love a one shot gin, maybe that is a bit of laziness in me, however I do enjoy the complexity of the product. If you are starting off I would start here then work out where to go from there. Some things that you can modify in the one shot method are the length of time your botanicals are in contact with expe, ie macerate juniper longer than other botanicals, the maceration ABV, charge ABV and product ABV. Try the difference between a 40% ABV gin and a 50% ABV gin.

Have fun with your experimentation
Last edited by MaKa on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaKa

equipment: FSD 4" Neutraliser
FSD Carter head
T500 pot still with a 2" FSD modular head

Postby MaKa » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:44 am

I may have jumped the gun a little. I am more of a cooling management set up.

If your still is open to atmosphere, as many boka designs are and your vapour flow rates top the product condenser are are controlled by a valve then disregard what I said above. You could experiment to run with the minimum reflux ratio and use some more botanicals instead.

Do you have any photos of your set up so we can see what you are working with?
Last edited by MaKa on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaKa

equipment: FSD 4" Neutraliser
FSD Carter head
T500 pot still with a 2" FSD modular head

Postby Rolls912 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:02 pm

The Stig wrote:
Rolls912 wrote: Still haven’t quite perfected how to use the valve at the bottom of the head to remove oils.

You dont have a Carter Head, you have a Gin caddy - They are different :-B Just sayin :greetings-waveyellow:

Pretty sure I have a carter head. I gave my gin caddy to Arismac :-D
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby The Stig » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:16 pm

That's news 8-}
The Stig