FSD Neutraliser GIN Query

FSD Neutraliser GIN Query

Postby Matt_Pl » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:38 pm

Hi All,

Just curious, and apologise if this has already been covered previously, but it appears my search function isn't working.

I've got the FSD neutraliser and a Gin/carter head and my wish is to start experimenting with some basic gin.

Can I ask the more experienced users of similar equipment how many plates and basic setups that work?

Lastly curious about when botanicals are added into the steam path and for how long?

Thanks everyone, Enjoy the day.

Cheers Matt.
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: FSD Neutraliser GIN Query

Postby howard » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:38 pm

i've heard of people incorporating the botanicals into a neutral spirit run.
i suppose you would have to wait until heads had finished, throw the still into full reflux, add the basket and run through hearts.
but it sounds like most people concentrate on making good neutral first, then pot stilling with the botanicals in a 3rd distillation.
then the question is, do you macerate or use the basket.
how much charge can you get away with to cover your elements and allow for collection.
personally, i bought a 4" gin basket, used it twice, then got a small glass still so i can do 1L - 5L experiments.
the gin basket made good gin, it was just a PITA for small runs.
i will use the basket again one day, as some botanicals benefit from having high %abv vapour through them.
if i was using the basket, i would be putting good clean 40%abv neutral in the boiler (from a reflux spirit run), then pot still, then you don't have to worry about fores, heads and tails.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby The Stig » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:57 pm

Hi Matt
Can you show us a pic of the gin basket ?
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:59 pm

:text-+1: finish your neutral then rerun through the botanicals..
I prefer steeping then running much bolder flavour..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Matt_Pl » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:02 pm

Doesn’t like trying to post pics from iPhone.

The gin basket I bought off a mate who never got around to using it.

4” basket, 2” vapour in/out. Drain for oils. Pretty typical of what you see online to be honest.

I’ve been able to search a few posts at home. Full hearts run plenty of cuts and I’ll swap botanicals out when they lose their oooomphhh.

Time to run some TPW for neutral and source some botanicals

I’ve noted Doc ran with 4 plates while a few different online sources are running no plates and minimal reflex.

Time to dust off the gear. Thanks all
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby clintonb » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:13 pm

Hey Matt,

I know that this doesn't answer the exact question you asked but this is my experience with Gin. Over the last couple of years I have really refined and nailed some fantastic gins. My family and friends love gin and drink heaps of different types of gin but always commend me on mine and say that I make a better gin than the big boys. I start off with a good neutral - I ferment a TFFV plus add wheatbix and up the sugar content a little more. I strip the wash over 5 bubble plates plus a 650mm packed section using about 7200Watts of power and enough reflux to keep the ABV up. It comes over in the 90s abv at around 5l/hr. I collect until I can see tails (lots of fog) in the final plate section which is all glass and I can taste the tails. I then water down the strip to 40ABV and repeat the process a little slower approx 4L/hr collecting into small jars to make cuts. Once I select where my hearts start and stop I keep the middle third for gin and use the rest for other drinks (limoncello, vodka, etc etc). The product kept for gin is around 95ABV, I water this down to 45ABV and add my botanicals all ground up along with my choice of citrus peel (fresh, taken off with peeler and no pith) all this is added and left for 48hrs. I then add this to my small pot still removing the citrus and putting that in my inline gin basket and run this as per Odin's method. Water back down to 45ABV, It makes a ripper gin. I hope this helps. As for botanicals, start off my Odin's and begin to add more and less of different ones until you nail something you enjoy.
Last edited by clintonb on Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clintonb

equipment: 118L SS boiler with a copper 4 Inch, 8 bubble plated column and a 650mm packed section complete with a carterhead and gin basket.
35L SS boiler with a copper 2 Inch pelican pot and gin basket.

Return to General Gin Chat