All Hail Methusulah !

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: All Hail Methusulah !

Postby Frothwizard » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:22 pm

the Doctor wrote:
MacStill wrote:I heard someone was sampling some nice gin earlier in the day, maybe a little too much distillers privilege to let us all know how it went 8-}

Very true...It all went very well. A bit of a learning experience as I took hours to heat up...But then I realised that the cable loom from 6 elements was so heavy that 3 of the plugs had come half out... I fixed that and in 5 minutes the thing was running like a thoroughbred horse on diuretics...

The Carter head was slow to get going as I had very strong reflux for the first Jar ...but I realised that the basket was absolutely cold as was the top of the head...so I ran vodka through the head to pre heat it and it all settled down. The second half of the day was really easy and all ran as expected...

I shut down at about 4 PM and will start the run tomorrow with a pre heat and throw a bit more power at it than I did this morning... I have to admit the product sure is clean and pure... I quickly hit Az and stayed there for the whole run.

I love the valve system, changing botanical baskets was just a matter of pulling the valve to vodka and exchanging the basket and then setting the valve back to Gin...Great system. I made one change to my gin recipe on the fly...I substituted Elderflower for lavender as one of my florals... I will see how this tastes tomorrow ...but I think it shoulds work well. I am absolutely knackered as I have not got a lot of sleep these last few days and we are in the busiest period of our working year...

Even though the restaurant and bar are booked for a Xmas party tomorrow ...I am going to take the day to distil... It will be good to see the faces as people do the tour...Methuselah sure is impressive... I must say it was great to be able to ring Mac for backup and support during set up and first run. Thanks for the great service mate.

Well I am off to bed...got a good book (Lonesome Dove) and a dog that won't take no for an answer.

Cheers all
Doc

Mate, that all sounds F'kn amazing. Especially the part about the dog!! Congratulations!!
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Postby booma » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:27 pm

Bravo Doc and Mac

I have been waiting all day to hear how it went.

Looking forward to hearing of new gins and bitter from you Doc.

cheers to Methusulal !
booma

equipment: I use a friend's 4 plate bubbler on a 50l electric boiler.

Postby Smbjk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:15 am

Well done doc. Gongrats on the madien run :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby booma » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi Doc,

I asked my parent's to visit your estate on their caravaning adventures. They are dropping in tomorrow morning when you open. I have told them about Methusulah. They are wine drinkers but have been hearing about distilling from me. It would be great if they were able to see some of your distillery. Mum enjoys a Gin sometimes.

They have been very supportive of my adventures into distilling and I think it is fantastic that they have made the effort to visit you. I don't know if you do tours of your distillery but if would be greatly appreciated if you could show them a little of what you do there. They are very friendly and will be driving a gold 4WD with a caravan.

Thanks, Booma
booma

Postby the Doctor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:22 pm

Booma I will be doing a stripping run tomorrow and they will be made most welcome...If we are all in the distillery the mobile number is posted on the door which we lock for security, also few know I am deaf so cannot hear knocking, so without the phone vibration I would never know they are there. I will see they get a full tasting and are given the royal tour.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby booma » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:35 pm

You're a CHAMP Doc !!!

They will be on your doorstep at 10.30am and I will tell them to call your phone.

I think they have an exciting morning coming up.

Thank You, Booma
booma

Postby CHEROKEE » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:22 pm

A beautiful (work of art) set up Doc, you must be proud and busier than ever but with great rewards.
Looking forward to the video. I’d need a second story rather than a sky light to fit that in my kitchen.
CHEERS :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Postby Smbjk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:25 pm

the Doctor wrote:Booma I will be doing a stripping run tomorrow and they will be made most welcome...If we are all in the distillery the mobile number is posted on the door which we lock for security, also few know I am deaf so cannot hear knocking, so without the phone vibration I would never know they are there. I will see they get a full tasting and are given the royal tour.
Doc

Wow I am planning at trip down to see your place in a few months with some mates. VIP access :D :D :D
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Brendan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Haha I think the Newcastle crew will be doing the same thing in the near future :D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Milky » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 pm

Brendan wrote:Haha I think the Newcastle crew will be doing the same thing in the near future :D

I wouldnt mind that. It would be excellent!
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby 1 2many » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Milky wrote:
Brendan wrote:Haha I think the Newcastle crew will be doing the same thing in the near future :D

I wouldnt mind that. It would be excellent!

Not wrong there I would love to check out East View Estate.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby booma » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks Doc for the warm welcome you gave my parents. They loved the tour and meeting you and your team. They have a new appreciation of the distilling process, the equipment, the science and the art. They were amazed at the amount of time you freely gave them and the attention to detail you gave to each step of the process. They had a great morning and now have a treat to take home with them for their ice cream. I'm sure they will tell many people about you distillery and the tour they enjoyed.

thanks
booma

Postby MacStill » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:57 pm

booma wrote:Thanks Doc for the warm welcome you gave my parents. They loved the tour and meeting you and your team. They have a new appreciation of the distilling process, the equipment, the science and the art. They were amazed at the amount of time you freely gave them and the attention to detail you gave to each step of the process. They had a great morning and now have a treat to take home with them for their ice cream. I'm sure they will tell many people about you distillery and the tour they enjoyed.

thanks

As you probably are, I'm jealous too :naughty:

I wanna go visit doc too :crying-blue:

SOON! :!!
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Brendan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Maybe during the winter if Doc gets a quiet day, he could hold a forum open day, and as many of us that can make it rock up :greetings-waveyellow:
Brendan

Postby Smbjk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:29 pm

Brendan wrote:Maybe during the winter if Doc gets a quiet day, he could hold a forum open day, and as many of us that can make it rock up :greetings-waveyellow:

:text-+1: great idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

Control box

Postby Milky » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:35 pm

Smbjk wrote:
Brendan wrote:Maybe during the winter if Doc gets a quiet day, he could hold a forum open day, and as many of us that can make it rock up :greetings-waveyellow:

:text-+1: great idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Great idea there :-)
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:51 am

I think that could work guys...we are being run ragged at the moment as we have picked up a few clients and are still playing catch - up after christmas. But a 1 day master class could work.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Brendan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:57 am

the Doctor wrote:I think that could work guys...we are being run ragged at the moment as we have picked up a few clients and are still playing catch - up after christmas. But a 1 day master class could work.
Doc

Free labour hire for the day Doc ;-)
Brendan

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:15 am

There are some converted shearers quarters up the road that are renovated and while no 5 star hotel are clean and comfortable. I will make enquiries.
Doc
the Doctor

Postby Konzo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:41 pm

To say I am jealous is an understatement, but you have worked bloody hard to get there, so a massive congratulations sir :-) You are an inspiration :-)
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit