What recipe?

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

What recipe?

Postby Yase » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Hi Guys

Looking at dropping some coin on 25L barrel that has been re-coopered from and old port pipe. So far i have only used the McWhiskey recipe aging in 2lt jars with french and american dominoes soaked in port for a few months. I am feeling that i will never achieve the style of whisky that i love using this method such as Lark, Limeburners and Overeem port cask delights, which are aged solely in 200L used port barrels. So before i spend the likes of $600 on such a barrel i would love the input on some of the novice whisky makers on here that may have played with both the McWhiskey and CFW recipies to see which would be better suited. I understand the CFW is quite a bit cheaper but as i'm trying to emulate a $250 bottle i don't mind spending the extra on the McWhiskey recipe if it would make a noticable difference.

For reference i will be fermenting in a temperature controlled fridge with 4 x 30L fermenters and running strip and spirit runs in my 2" copper pot still with shotty condenser on a 50lt keg boiler with a 3600w temp controlled element.
Yase

equipment: 50L Boiler, 3600w, 2" pot still with shotgun condenser

Re: What recipe?

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi yase, great post as I have been wondering the very same questions and have not got answers for you, but are very keen to see what the home pro's say.
I been putting down batches of BWKO and CFW, I have not looked up the macwhiskey but I will now. I'm the same as you and don't give a rats about costs of ferments in regards to ingredients. My goal is just to be able to make something top shelf, I am more of a hobbyist not learning to feed a habit as I barley drink , not the case with a lot of my family members though LOL
I have ordered a 25 litre barrel from ROAB
I have 2 60 litre German fermentation vessels with all the bells and whistles and quite a few 200 litre jobbies without air locks.
Will be running a 95 litre CAN (boiler as they call them here)

I'm very fond of the limeburners also, last bottle I bought was 340.00 at Perth airport on my way home from work (can not remember the barrel age) but it was delish fire water, my old man drunk the lot bar the single shot I tried

Happy chugging through your rig :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby bluess57 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:11 pm

IMO you need to go all grain recipe and not a sugar head recipe, if you're chasing top shelf results
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby Kenster » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:25 pm

you will need a lot of booze to fill a 200lit barrell to achieve proper oaking. I have been advised that a 'partly' full barrell is no good.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:42 pm

With bluess57 if you are chasing top shelf you can't cut corners or the top shelf stuff would be made with breakfast cereals and not whole grains. That said you'd easily hit mid shelf with good processes and aging practices.
The level in a barrel isn't too critical as long as it's not drying out. A half full barrel will loose more to the angles but when I start a new barrel I throw in enough to keep it sealed ie 50% and finish topping it up as I make it. Just turn the barrel every day or two
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:43 pm

Kenster I believe that he was talking about fermenters when he said 200L
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:02 pm

coffe addict wrote:Kenster I believe that he was talking about fermenters when he said 200L

Yase is referring to a 200L barrel and wondering if the 600 dollar outlay is worth it, I was talking about my 200L plastic jobbies for fermentation.
I thought 600 for a 200L was cheap considering a 25L barrel is 350 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:12 pm

coffe addict wrote:With bluess57 if you are chasing top shelf you can't cut corners or the top shelf stuff would be made with breakfast cereals and not whole grains. That said you'd easily hit mid shelf with good processes and aging practices.
The level in a barrel isn't too critical as long as it's not drying out. A half full barrel will loose more to the angles but when I start a new barrel I throw in enough to keep it sealed ie 50% and finish topping it up as I make it. Just turn the barrel every day or two

I'm so glad to read your knowledge buddy, because I want to learn with sugarheads for a couple of years before I start complicating things being a novice nob with all grain mashes.

I got to crawl before I can walk, better to be an experienced runner before even thinking about AG and 200L stainless mash ton. Thanx coffe-addict :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby Azza76 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:13 pm

bluess57 wrote:IMO you need to go all grain recipe and not a sugar head recipe, if you're chasing top shelf results

:text-+1:
Azza76

equipment: 2" pot still shotgun condenser
2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Ageing chart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copperhead road

Postby Yase » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:01 am

Just to clear things up, I am wanting to use a 25L barrel not a 200L. I was referring to the size the aussie distilleries seem to use for their Port cask whiskys. Also totally agree with the all grain requirement for achieving a "top shelf" drink. Thought I'd give the sugar heads a go till I get my head around everything else then move to mashing. Is it worth investing in a barrel with a sugar head like the macwhisky, CFW? Or is the extra time and money not worth it over the old jar and dominoes??
Yase

equipment: 50L Boiler, 3600w, 2" pot still with shotgun condenser

Postby warramungas » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:46 am

copperhead road wrote:Ageing chart

Since when is 53 gallons 200 liters?
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby scythe » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:04 am

Especially when 44gal is 205L, 53 would be 246L-ish.
What surprises me is that a 20L barrel has roughly a quarter the surface area of a "200L" but takes half as long.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:33 am

scythe wrote:Especially when 44gal is 205L, 53 would be 246L-ish.
What surprises me is that a 20L barrel has roughly a quarter the surface area of a "200L" but takes half as long.

That's the first thing that excited me and stuck me in the eye, think it's because I have ordered a 25L jobbie.

Apparently that sign comes from the wall of a whiskey distillery
copperhead road

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:48 am

Yase wrote:Just to clear things up, I am wanting to use a 25L barrel not a 200L. I was referring to the size the aussie distilleries seem to use for their Port cask whiskys. Also totally agree with the all grain requirement for achieving a "top shelf" drink. Thought I'd give the sugar heads a go till I get my head around everything else then move to mashing. Is it worth investing in a barrel with a sugar head like the macwhisky, CFW? Or is the extra time and money not worth it over the old jar and dominoes??

After 6 months reading walls of text and asking questions I perceived that things were pointing in the direction of a barrel.
Maybe I perceived things wrong, it seems to be an ongoing grind among Home distillers over barrel versus dominos.
The barrel option looks cool as shit but more of an outlay with Ching Ching :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby rumsponge » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:54 am

Its US gallon (=3.785 L), you guys are thinking in Imperial gallons (=4.55 L)
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:14 am

rumsponge wrote:

Its US gallon (=3.785 L), you guys are thinking in Imperial gallons (=4.55 L)

And that's why America should come out of the dark ages and use the metric system :angry-banghead:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:28 am

Yase wrote:Just to clear things up, I am wanting to use a 25L barrel not a 200L. I was referring to the size the aussie distilleries seem to use for their Port cask whiskys. Also totally agree with the all grain requirement for achieving a "top shelf" drink. Thought I'd give the sugar heads a go till I get my head around everything else then move to mashing. Is it worth investing in a barrel with a sugar head like the macwhisky, CFW? Or is the extra time and money not worth it over the old jar and dominoes??

I found this very good info ta get started http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1842 .And viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1837 .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby copperhead road » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:58 pm

hillzabilly wrote:

I found this very good info ta get started http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1842 .And http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewt ... =47&t=1837 .cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Awesome read on whiskey hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby Dyno » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Yase wrote:Hi Guys

Looking at dropping some coin on 25L barrel that has been re-coopered from and old port pipe. So far i have only used the McWhiskey recipe aging in 2lt jars with french and american dominoes soaked in port for a few months. I am feeling that i will never achieve the style of whisky that i love using this method such as Lark, Limeburners and Overeem port cask delights, which are aged solely in 200L used port barrels. So before i spend the likes of $600 on such a barrel i would love the input on some of the novice whisky makers on here that may have played with both the McWhiskey and CFW recipies to see which would be better suited. I understand the CFW is quite a bit cheaper but as i'm trying to emulate a $250 bottle i don't mind spending the extra on the McWhiskey recipe if it would make a noticable difference.

For reference i will be fermenting in a temperature controlled fridge with 4 x 30L fermenters and running strip and spirit runs in my 2" copper pot still with shotty condenser on a 50lt keg boiler with a 3600w temp controlled element.

Hey Yase...if you are looking for a basic Whiskey / to be Scotch guve Franks Scotch a go from the tried n proven recipe list on here. Its a cheats brew as it uses LME but having said that its a fine drop. Costings run around $230 for the 100L ferment give or take depending on where you source your ingredients then theres the barrel cost but I shit you not it comes up spectacular. Off that 100L expect to get around 9.5 -10L of really good stuff at around 65% after a little dilution . I have 5 X 10L barrels on the go and the first, which is approaching 1yr is smooth as silk. Definitely a recipe thats worth the cost n not so much effort. Just my 2c buddy. Good luck with it
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Next

Return to The Dunder Pit