Making our hobby legal

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Making our hobby legal

Postby M8Harry » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi all,

Serious question for the brains trust. Has there ever been a serious push for an amendment(s) to legislation/acts to allow a Personal Use clause to distilling like NZ has?

Reason for asking is im currently drafting an open letter I want to put to some federal MP's to push for an amendment. I hope to get some feedback from some of you guys who have forgotten more than I will ever know about the hobby but Im a unionist and a strong activist (and former delegate) and I feel this should be something legal for us to enjoy.

Ive been spit balling this idea with a few mates and I honestly reckon its doable, not easy and maybe not as free as our brothers across the ditch have it but a start is a start i guess.

What do you guys think?

What concessions would you give to get legal status with out the current mess of a way to get legal status? (for example need a high risk license with $65 renewal every 5 years same as Forklift, Dogman etc, 5% excise on all spirit related sales at the local home brew supplier. etc)

Give me your thoughts if you feel like sharing.

all the best

Harry.
Last edited by M8Harry on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M8Harry

equipment: Pure distilling Reflux Still with a 25L boiler

5 star mk2 visualiser and 50L milk can boiler

Re: Making our hobby legal

Postby db1979 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:04 am

G'day harry,

There's a lengthy discussion on this matter and others in the site donor section. I believe it was moved into that section due to the need to keep trolls away and the sensitive nature of the topic.

It takes a while for that thread to get warmed up but it's worth a read. And it's also worth donating to the forum too, seeing as it gives so much to us all.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby M8Harry » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Cheers, I put through a donation, so just wait till i get access and ill have a read..
M8Harry

equipment: Pure distilling Reflux Still with a 25L boiler

5 star mk2 visualiser and 50L milk can boiler

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:33 pm

Done, thanks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:15 pm

M8, if you’ve got any avenues I’d be there to support.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Return to The Dunder Pit