This is SOOOO Stupid

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: This is SOOOO Stupid

Postby FatManDancing » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:47 pm

"Finally, this is working, Finally this is right"

Or so sang Big Black but they were talking about steelworkers

I'm talking about my misadventures in stillin'

I think I have made every dumb rookie mistake. The last being a scorched run on a four inch glasser. What a pain to clean up that mess

Tonight I am finally running my rum and... everything is working. I followed the easy guide to running a plated column, and it worked

Me reassembling the tower...worked

Having all the clamps and gaskets easily and readily at hand...worked

OK, I have a slight leak in a water line but nothing a paper towel can't fix

I know I jumped in the deep end and expected to make mistakes but probably not on the scale I did but hey, it is all part of the learning experience

And when it works.... oh man is it beautiful
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Postby bluc » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:05 pm

Dont be hard on yourself. Its a complex process regardless how simple it looks.
I scorched twice in about 2mnths 5 years into the hobby. Shit happens. Change ya element clean ya boiler and go again. Learn from ya mistake strain all grain mash through a filter/cheesecloth.
You will get there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby FatManDancing » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:27 pm

Gettin' My S#!T Together

On the weekend I went to the big green warehouse and bought a racking system. My brew and stillin' gear was a jumbled mess, that is the only way I could describe it

Chaos may be a better way

Put it together tonight and got my stuff organised. Bought some tubs as well as a coupla storage boxes with dividers. I still need to get some jars or something to store some mash salts and nutrients

I freaken love it. The cats freaken love it. New shelves to climb and things to smell. I mean it was all over the place and they could smell it at any time but now it in a different place. For me though I have reclaimed about six square meters of space and I can get stuff when I want and I know where it is

I found the missing clamp too. It had fallen behind the blow mould table I have my fermenters on and got caught up in the old curtains I use to cover it.

I can't stop staring at how neat and organised everything is. Oh, proofed down my MacRum to 55% in one demijohn and added two medium toasted dominoes to age for six -eight months. The other demijohn I added four dominoes at 55% and plan to drink that ASAP

I should also add that the job I did today was so good that the client not only paid me but gifted a six pack of beer. There may be about two drops left
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:43 pm

The only problem getting good storage is when you run out of space there is no way to solve the problem where if just scattered can find space by doing a little cleaning up.
wynnum1

Postby FatManDancing » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:15 pm

You take the good, you take the bad
You take them both and there you have
The facts of life, the facts of life

Fact one- Rye is gonna puke. Not actually a fact, just my experience

Fact two- Just because your cheap glasser worked last time, and you did nothing and made no adjustments, does not mean it will work this time :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I totally upped my straining game though

I added gelatin finings 48 hours before planning to run this mash. Although I am not really sure if this was a benefit, it was still really cloudy

I placed my newly purchased hop spider in the fermenter and siphoned through that into quadruple layered cheesecloth in my sieve

No scorching. Puking but no scorching so I am guessing this is an improvement... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Postby bluc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:17 pm

Welcome to all grain :D
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Clickeral » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:32 am

Everyone has bad days, I did a strip of some stuff I had laying around and some fermented mash tun deadspace liquid. Turned around for 1 seconds and my shot gun condenser had heated up and puffed a tiny bit if alcohol vapour out. Upped the water and all good. But was slightly scary good thing I run electric.

4" pot still mode with some plates for copper contact and passive reflux (2 plates didn't even have bubble caps on them)

Also had a mild puke when using 4800w for heat up

Last edited by Clickeral on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby Clickeral » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:50 am

Pics from last post
20210417_115438.jpg

20210417_115535.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby FatManDancing » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:24 pm

On the weekend I did a stripping run on a rum wash, I also had a corn whiskey mash ready to run. Do my strip and let backset cool overnight and drain in the morning

Open the valve to drain rum backset, wash and clean up element and then add my corn whiskey

Do any of you know the sound of an emptying boiler? It makes a slurping-sucking sound as it runs out of liquid and starts sucking air and that is the sound it made as 20L of my mash ran literally down the drain. I never closed the drain...

I never want to hear that sound again but I am kinda OK with it. This was a corn grits mash and it has nowhere near the flavour of corn malt and now I am asking myself, why am I even making corn whiskey

I like rye whiskey

I think I convinced myself you need to learn to make corn to better understand how to mash,ferment and still. While I am making something I will drink, it is not what I want to drink

I am pretty sure though rye malt will find a way to kick my ass and make me look stupid all over again....
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:18 am

Hang in there fatman
Definitely stick with what you like drinking mate, once you get a stockpile you can experiment more because your next most favourite drink is only a taste test away :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby iOnaBender » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:22 am

Vasoline is the go for me.
Anytime I open up a tub/bottle of either nickel or copper anti-sieze I get it from arsehole to breakfast time :angry-banghead:
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Dude » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:14 am

iOnaBender wrote:Vasoline is the go for me.
Anytime I open up a tub/bottle of either nickel or copper anti-sieze I get it from arsehole to breakfast time :angry-banghead:

That is the nature of anti seize. :laughing-rolling:
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby Amberale » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:14 am

iOnaBender wrote:Vasoline is the go for me.

I now use the tube version and an old toothbrush.
Just like a little squiggle of toothpaste.
Only on the bolts on the T-clamps on my still.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby Lowie » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Are you doing a 100% Rye mash? I would be suprised if you are, and if you are, what conversion are you getting. I was talking with a pro vodka guy and he says 36% max rye in a wash for maximum conversion or you get stalled ferments and a shit outcome.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby RC Al » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:48 pm

Got a 50/25/25 rye oat wheat ready to run now... mines done with angel, but its a proven recipie.

Turkey 101 rye is 65%
George washington rye is 60%
100% has been done and is/was a commercial product, its at the higher end of tricky, infections, low yields, scorching, foaming.

The rye mashes ive done have been quite active. I did do 100% rye on angel with no dramas
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby FatManDancing » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:53 pm

Lowie wrote:Are you doing a 100% Rye mash? I would be suprised if you are, and if you are, what conversion are you getting. I was talking with a pro vodka guy and he says 36% max rye in a wash for maximum conversion or you get stalled ferments and a shit outcome.

I think you are asking me this question and yes I am doing 100% rye

I am mashing five kg of rye malt with one kg of black forest rye malt @ 66 deg for 60 mins

I am super happy with my conversion and got 1055 but this is not the first time I have done the same mash and fermented dry

I dunno, I like rye whiskey and a 100% rye grain bill works for me but then again I am certainly not a pro

To that point, I typed out a response to Wellsy thanking him for his continued encouragement after I posted yet another one of my follies. It was lucid, cogent, erudite, humorous and poignant

Then my computer had an absolute fucking freakout and all tabs I had open are now lost and that would be post is lost to the ether

The biggest takeaway though and the best lesson I have learned after about a year of stillin is buy stools. Stools are great. They are a convenient place to plonk your arse when stillin but just uncomfortable enough that you do not lose focus or concentration on what you are doing
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:48 pm

Lol great lesson fatman lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:06 pm

FatManDancing wrote:

The biggest takeaway though and the best lesson I have learned after about a year of stillin is buy stools. Stools are great

This quote should be put on the facebook thread :laughing-rolling: when you buy off the facebook wankers no matter how much you polish those stools they are still stools :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Anyway Fatman welcome to high's and lows of this hobby and while getting distracted typing this post I just missed a close disaster, the 400mm beaker was just about to spill over and I'm using my BD burner @ 5psi so that would of been a huge fuckup so yea pay close attention at all times eh
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby FatManDancing » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:32 pm

7878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878787878
\iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiijujujujujuStupid HECS/ HELP bvggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

Excuse me, one of my cats clearly had something she desperately wanted to share here and now she has that off her chest (and jumped down from the keyboard to continue eating), I will try again

Stupid HECS/HELP debt

I thought I nearly paid it off and my last employer was garnishing my wage to cover the repayments but my new employer wasn't and I totally under estimated how much I had left to pay

Hot tip. Do not do a degree to appease your (soon to be ex) partner. Debt now paid in full and at least that biggest stupid mistake of my life is now over

Rant over

I will not get as much of a tax return as I hoped and am left with a dilemma

Do I buy a new mattress I really need

Do I buy stillin stuff I really want

I hope to have a good nights sleep soon. Guess I will have to save the old fashioned way for some new stillin stuff

To those who may be wonderin why I want to upgrade. I bought a four inch, four plate glass tower on another website and quickly learned why 5 Star do not sell them. They are an extreme pain to assemble as each glass piece sits on top of a silicone seal while each plate needs to be inserted into a tiny groove of that seal. Then you need to tighten each of the four rods down perfectly to assure none of the glass pieces or plates move.

I am not perfect. I have the dexterity and patience to keep putting this stupid thing together of a brain damaged monkey and the degree I did was not engineering

Maybe I can flog some of this stuff, maybe I should join facebook
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Postby RC Al » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:51 pm

Why do you take it apart?

I have a 3 plate version of that and I just sit the whole thing in some dunder if I want to clean the plates (pretty much never)
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit