Grains in Australia?

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Grains in Australia?

Postby Dancing4dan » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:06 am

Just curious as to what grains and cereals are readily available for those in Australia. I’m curious because I don’t see a lot of all grain recipes.
Dancing4dan

equipment: Pot still modular design that can use a beer keg or a 70 L SS pot. Steam distillation in development.

Re: Grains in Australia?

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:36 am

A lot depends on where you are located Dan, and how much you want to pay.
Rye tends to be a bit tricky at times but almost all home brew shops have it available and it tend to be grown in small areas rather than widespread like most other grains. Wheat, oats, corn, rice, barley are all available. Many are available in feed store shops but they are not located in the bigger cities etc.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Clickeral » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:27 pm

So to give some perspective its all available but depends if you have the equipment and budget for it

Ie Rye can be upto $90 for a 25kg sack, base malt can be as cheap as $55 per 25kg depending on what you want. We typically have 2row barley here but you can also buy american 6 row for a slightly higher price

Corn is cheap if you go to stock feed places but cooking corn is a PITA, flaked corn/maize is about $90 per 25kg but time saved its worth the extra

There is lots of beer brewers in Australia so plenty of access to grain
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby Dancing4dan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:13 am

Thanks guys. That’s good to know. Probably not that different from Canada as far as what mainstay grans and cereals you have available.

Other than barley, rye, wheat, oats, corn, rice, is there any other cereals or grains you use to ferment? You guys are on the other side of the planet from me so I’m wondering if there is anything over / down there that we don’t see here and have you fermented it.

Here potatoes would be on the list of fermentable starch.
Dancing4dan

equipment: Pot still modular design that can use a beer keg or a 70 L SS pot. Steam distillation in development.

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:41 pm

Some guys on here were experimenting with sunflower seeds that you guys probably have over there.

One member was looking at using wattle seeds which would be more unique or here mate. Apologies I can’t remember who it was now.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby hjubm2 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:28 am

Wellsy wrote:Some guys on here were experimenting with sunflower seeds that you guys probably have over there.

One member was looking at using wattle seeds which would be more unique or here mate. Apologies I can’t remember who it was now.

They were both me. The Wattle Seed Whiskey turned out quite nicely, I'll have to update the thread once I get home from holidays. I'm going to try malting the Sunflower Seeds if I get time, see how we go.

I also got some Sorghum recently so that's another one to try...
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby indenial » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:11 pm

Many, many moons ago I planned an all grain gluten free beer. I malted some millet but life got in the way so never mashed it. I wonder what sort of whiskey it might make if I tried again. I haven't even tried a more "mainstream" all grain yet so the millet experiment is a long, long way off.
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Return to The Dunder Pit