Case law and convictions

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Case law and convictions

Postby bullant » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:04 pm

Are there any legal-eagles (or bush-lawyers :)) ) amongst us who can look up to see if there have been any successful convictions of home-distillers in the last 20 years? I'm talking about convictions for manufacturing for personal use without the appropriate licences etc. I'm NOT referring to cases similar to the goose who was selling his product in Smirmnoff bottles at his nightclub :angry-banghead:

My guess is that this hasn't been a priority for legal system.
bullant

equipment: copper t-500 condensor

Re: Case law and convictions

Postby Wellsy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:00 pm

No doubt at all that it is not top priority but we all know priorities change in a heart beat mate.

The bush lawyer in me says there is no defence that will work, personalise or not.

Pure and simple production of alcohol is illegal. If you keep your head down and your nose clean maybe you won’t get noticed, maybe, if you do however you are screwed.

The boys in blue are like everyone else and will do what their lords and masters tell them to do.

Good luck if you want to test the laws in court as they are pretty black and white. We have different rules to New Zealand don’t get confused mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bullant » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:12 pm

I agree with all you say. I’m still interested to know if anyone has been convicted in Australia in the last
20 years.
bullant

Postby bullant » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:27 pm

For a little more context … I’m not looking to test the law. I’m a believer in the motto “don’t tell, don’t sell”.

My father-in-law is worried that I’m going to get busted for making for personal use. I want to assure him that he can’t get rid of me that easily :teasing-neener: ;-)
bullant

Postby Dude » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:59 am

When I purchased my T500 a few years back that was the first question I asked the brew shop. His answer was that there had been one prosecution locally and that they had been selling it down on the Port of Brisbane. They got busted because they were posting flyers advertising products and prices on noticeboards in places where to local constabulary and customs & excise could see. I only have this second/third hand so don't know for certain it happened.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby FatManDancing » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:54 am

Do not know about convictions but charges have been laid against some in the last 20 years. I remember reading about a coupla cases on the ABC news website where some people were selling some dodgy stuff which led to the death of others

That seems to be the common thread. Selling dodgy stuff to others which leads to some serious consequences

Here is the thing, hang out here long enough, like about a coupla hours and you will not be making dodgy stuff even if you do choose to sell. I strongly advise though that you do not do that

I have wanted to tell this story for a while. I changed jobs in Feb and after a few weeks we went to a client site to work at their home. This is an ongoing job but in this instance we were there to do a big job, took three days

We were working on his wall on the far side of his pool. We had to stand on planks over his pool and he helped set up the planks we were to work on. While he was balls deep in the freezing cold water helping us set up the job, he volunteered that he stills, his dad stilled and that is where he learned it but he is also Irish and Scottish descent and frankly they invented stillin so it was not something illicit but his birth right. He hates whiskey, everybody assumes he likes whiskey. He likes gin and ouzo. He has a bulldog named Blossom

I desperately want to ask him about his stillin but I can't. I like this guy but I do not trust that this info will not get back to my boss. I like my boss but he is kinda puritanical. He is vegan and has been for 30+ years and a non drinker and while he may protect the privacy of his clients I am not willing to bet that level of discretion will be afforded to me or how that knowing may affect our working relationship. He is a cat lover like myself though so we talk about the goofy stuff our little furballs get up to

My neighbours know I still though. My next door neighbour knows I still. The people across from me know I still, the cute single mother two doors down, on the other side of the street knows I still( she told me she and her friends still before I told her)

I also spent Christmas eve/day with them

I suppose the point I am trying to make here is... I dunno.. Damn this is fun. It really is but not everybody will understand
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Postby bullant » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:51 pm

Dude wrote:When I purchased my T500 a few years back that was the first question I asked the brew shop. His answer was that there had been one prosecution locally and that they had been selling it down on the Port of Brisbane. They got busted because they were posting flyers advertising products and prices on noticeboards in places where to local constabulary and customs & excise could see. I only have this second/third hand so don't know for certain it happened.

Thanks for that anecdote. Advertising and selling has got to be the complete opposite of "don't tell, don't sell" :angry-banghead:
bullant

Postby bullant » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:54 pm

FatManDancing wrote:Damn this is fun. It really is but not everybody will understand

Nailed it ... and thanks for the story :laughing-rolling:
bullant

Postby Professor Green » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:51 am

Only cases of people being busted I know of have come around from people being dicks; selling, mouthing off or having accidents that result in damage to property, injury, or worse.

Don't sell, don't go bragging to all and sundry about your activities, maintain a safe operating regime and you'll be fine.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to The Dunder Pit