Research verses tutoring

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Research verses tutoring

Postby crow » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Ok well theres some stuff on the forum from time to time about ppl kicking up about being asked to read a link or do a little research and I'd like to post on this briefly (again :roll: )
Some forums noobs will get told to research almost anything they ask , that is not a culture we intend to foster here...but heres the thing. The mentors and mods are here to help you find the answers you are looking for and by virtue of the fact they excepted the position are obviously happy to do that. By the same token they are NOT here to be ANYONES private tutor.
There are well over 1000 members here and a large % are active members so to tutor all the beginners we would need something like 300 more mentors in other words it ain't going to happen. if you get told to research a subject or read this or that its because its believed the information that will best help you is there, if you can't find it by all means ask directions ;-)
Ok now that being said yes there are ways the site can be improved and updated to match the rapidly growing membership and there are things going on behind the scenes to this end they are a lot of work and time consuming . All this type of thing goes on unseen and then one day just magically appears on the forum giving no indication to perhaps 100s of hrs put in by volunteers to make it happen so be patient please. some of the projects we are working on include a concise beginners reading centre going though the general basics of stills washes and the most frequently asked questions and will likely include an updated version of the glossary . and some easier to understand descriptions of the different stills and how they basically work. it will be as short and to the point as possible :handgestures-thumbupleft: . yes from time to time you will get asked to read through things and do a little research your self as no one is going to retype a 5 or 10 page document for you particularly if it is already here somewhere. I think all the team want this site to be as user friendly as we can make it and will answer most questions on the spot if they can but when the answer is in depth or can vary and is already here or the mod or mentor feel that the answer is not going to provide the member with all the information they will need of cause some research is going to be suggested
This post is not personally directed at anyone and its not aimed at curtailing questions either just a few of us feel to a culture of ppl thinking that they have some sort of right to be spoon fed or others owe it to them to do their research for them needs to be curbed as there is just not enough hrs in the day to do it (I hope this post is taken in the informative way that is intended ;-)
Cheers Crow
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Research verses tutoring

Postby emptyglass » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Well said crow.
But there is only so much love to go around. I don't think a bit of reading hurt anyone.
Maybe its just something the "instant" generation expect.
Reading leads to knowledge, knowledge turns to wisdom. I've still got lots of reading to do :-B
emptyglass

Re: Research verses tutoring

Postby MacStill » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Sure there's a lot of stuff I dont know, but I'm happy where I am without feeling a "need" to learn more..... I like learning, reading & most of all hands on learning by building & tweaking while coming up with new ideas.

Almost everything I know came from researching, reading and asking very few questions so I didnt burden those in the know.... instead I tried to show what I was doing and ask for advise along the way.

Respect and courtesy was all I ever needed to get an answer, and a polite thank you never went astray either :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to The Dunder Pit