In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby The Stig » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:40 am

Wellsy wrote:My aluminium Tinnie has plenty of pin holes if you want to practise :)

Any time , drop it around . I won’t guarantee she will float after I’m done :teasing-neener:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby harold01 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:17 pm

IMG_1709.JPG

day ten for the agave and down to .990 and still going with plenty of bubbles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby hjubm2 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:35 pm

Sounds like your agave is fermenting well. Mine finished again after about 2 days at 1.003 according to the ispinde so will run it next weekend unless I get time during the week...l
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby Puk » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:20 pm

The Stig wrote:
Wellsy wrote:My aluminium Tinnie has plenty of pin holes if you want to practise :)

Any time , drop it around . I won’t guarantee she will float after I’m done :teasing-neener:

sounds like my brother's tinny.

he calls it "the Wonderseive"
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Postby Wellsy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:08 am

I found the easiest fix for it was to upgrade the bilge pump.

There is always an answer :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RC Al » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:50 pm

I've been a bit quiet lately...

Temp relocation to the apple isle has most of my gear packed up and me back to sugar heads in a keg pot still for the moment
Electricity and town water - makes the runs kinda boring, I miss the roar of my burner lols
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Wellsy » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:59 am

I may have ground the grain too fine for the angel yeast lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RC Al » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:48 am

A giant dough ball indeed... How did you sparge that?
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Puk » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:35 am

So far today in the shed ( by 10:30am) i have done a run on my mate's borrowed T500 still. (I have decided i don't like them, a lot of fiddling with water rates!)
but at least i got to use my feints from previous Pot Still runs and a small TPW wash to get it up to the right volume. that should keep us going for a while for "camping and party" drinks.

Then i just put down a McRum wash, which is my first of four generations to be stripped before a Spirit run, but is actually a second-generation, because i froze 5 litres of the dunder from my last batch when i only had an air still to work with. I have thrown that in with this one, so hopefully it will help.

so my 4 generations i am going to do before the spirit run should end up as generations 2 through 5. (If that makes sense)

Now to keep an eye on the foam for a few hours before attaching the heat belt and temp controller and moving it out to the shed. :)
Puk
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Postby Wellsy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:32 pm

No sparge RC
Just cut your losses and try a different approach lol
Wellsy

Postby Maxxx » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:06 pm

Became a proud dad of twins today :smile:
Maxxx

equipment: 100 litre stripper
Double retort Caribbean rum still under construction.

Postby Wellsy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:35 am

Congrats Max
Filling them is going to be fun lol. Almost as much fun as moving them once they are full.
Wellsy

Postby Maxxx » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:39 pm

Wellsy wrote:Congrats Max
Filling them is going to be fun lol. Almost as much fun as moving them once they are full.

Been saving for a while and a great deal came along for the pair that I just couldnt pass up.
Will take hell long time to fill, but hey will keep me busy :-D
Plan is to make some sort of rack with rollers under the barrel to spin it every couple of days until she is full.
Just have to find good source of molasses now .
Maxxx

equipment: 100 litre stripper
Double retort Caribbean rum still under construction.

Postby harold01 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:08 pm

lens feed and fodder, Townsville
$130 for 200L drum
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby The Stig » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:05 pm

Capalaba produce do 20L buckets , last time I got one it was $28
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:00 pm

Well got home from work this morning and I'm now staying down in town as I got a room at a caravan park which is less than 10 minutes from work :handgestures-thumbupleft: Anyway went and turned the lights on in my shed and my ol' Kipoint inverter went into fault mode and stayed there :angry-banghead:

So duly took the shed fridge off line and decided to crack a longneck of my lager :puke-huge: looks like the 2C lagering phase was a total flop as there is no carbonation at all :angry-banghead: I did think about getting some more carbonation drops then the thought of cracking 32 longnecks and priming again wasn't going to happen today. :laughing-rolling:

So into the HBS I went and got 5 for $25 Pale Ale longnecks and half a doz Coopers Lager :obscene-drinkingchug: as for the first day of my weekend where I did work the night before the yard arm does come early :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So tomorrow I'll wire in that inverter I made for a tad over $100 and that can be the main power for a few more years and with the old toroid in the old inverter it will get a new lease of life in my next inverter build. I did rough machine the shafts for my sectional bender machine I'm making at work last night and I do want to finish machining them this weekend so I can move on with this project.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:50 pm

Hey Bryan apologies if I am stating the obvious but don’t forget the carbonation drops will need higher temps so the yeast can eat them to produce the co2
Have a good weekend
Wellsy

Postby Puk » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:05 am

Got an early start this morning and ran my second generation of MacRum through my 2" pot still. I took about 6 litres down to 20%.
I had put 5 litres of water with about half a cup of the raw sugar that would be going into this next generation on the trub to keep the yeast happy, and when i had finished the stripping run, i put 5 litres of VERY hot dunder into a spare fermenter with the rest of the raw sugar and molasses, stirred it all in and then added rain water (which is acidic, so i have to be careful with Ph) and cooled it down to 31 degrees.
Over in my original fermenter, the yeast in the trub had already started to fizz a little with the raw sugar i had thrown in there, which was nice to see.

After a calcium carbonate "bomb", (2 teaspoons mixed in 600 ml of water) was added i checked Ph again, threw a few oyster shells into the trub, and a capful or two of yeast nutrient, and added the new "wash" from the other fermenter that i had mixed up.

Starting temp was 31 degrees, and starting Ph was 5.25, so i am hopeful that it won' take too long to start fizzing away.

My only issue was that i forgot i had thrown 5 litres of water on the trub, so i still mixed up 25l in the new fermenter.
My 30l fermenter is pretty full, and could make a mess if it foams.

It is sitting in an old fibreglass esky, partially for heat retention and partially for mess retention.
Happy days, on to the next gen.

If i can't get any more oyster shells, is it worth hanging a stocking in the next wash with about a cup of shell grit in it s a Ph buffer? (After i adjust the starting Ph?)

Puk
Last edited by Puk on Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puk

Alcoengine pot still

Postby BigRig » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:14 am

I just use egg shell. Saturday mornin bacon and eggs, keep the shells.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby BigRig » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:14 am

Doing my first run in 12months.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit