In The Shed Today

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: In The Shed Today

Postby Wellsy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:04 pm

The Stig wrote:You don’t need 3 phase to run a 200L boiler

Looks like I need to put a plan in place to somehow afford that little purchase lol.
So i could ferment then simply distill on grain, even do all grain on a large scale. OMG I can see a large investment in my future lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:06 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Wellsy ya dork just go gas mate then the size of of boiler has no limit :laughing-rolling: as if it's heating too slow just stick another burner under it :laughing-rolling:

but I do understand running gas does need something between the ears so best to sit with single phase.....

Great Idea Bryan
I could use my olive barrells as the kettle and sit them on a crab burner ring, I already have one of those. OMG what could go wrong :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Puk » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:11 am

Put down 2x25l ferments of 5th generation MacRum last night after stripping my fourth generation.
decided to do these just with 5l of dunder each and not retain the trub/yeast bed but to pitch new yeast, as it has been getting harder to get them to go with old yeast as i have gone through the generations.
Hopefully will be able to do my spirit run in a week or so, and then start the long waiting/ageing/oaking game.

Puk
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Postby BigRig » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:56 pm

Finishing off and bottling Limoncello and Arancello.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:52 pm

Well at 40C in the shade not much shed time as well the cricket is on and the beer is on ice :obscene-drinkingchug:

On Thursday pretty well slept all day and when I got up at 10pm had 16 missed calls and the phone rang with Ellie my daughter saying Mum had had a heart attack :scared-eek: for a moment I thought YES then got told they did get to her on time. :angry-banghead: It went to the quacks where it said I've had a chest pain since Monday so it was straight to ER where it got a meat wagon with lights flashing down the hill. It got 2 stents put in so my life aint complete just yet :naughty: just need to let time take it's toll. :laughing-rolling: Now to top it all off it's my daughters birthday tomorrow so looks like a movie and time with my other daughter is penciled in :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Finally got orifice 2016 installed on my laptop so thru working thru the night I can sit down and pencil in my 5 year plan and use excel to take care of the budget. 8-}

So coopers lager is on ice is my staple and eh actually sitting down and having few has been far and between for this black duck since the start of the year :scared-eek:

So after 3 months they did offer fulltime and I just man that rate you quoted is $200 under what I'm taking home :laughing-rolling: so I'll stay the same for the next 3 months and at the start of August I'm out here as I'm just here for the money :laughing-rolling: Well this is the first job I've had where trying to fix stupid is a challenge and eh if i can spend all night making my own stuff well this week I made a yeast stirrer for activating yeast out of SS and once I can find that motor in the shed I can go that next step to finishing it. I will get my daughter to take some photo's just so The Stig can learn tig welding SS is just so easy and if he is still having troubles I can come up there and show him first hand just how easy it really is. :laughing-rolling: I would love to come there so we can talk shop about my setup which is a long way off

Anyway got a new inverter style to build which really is the ducks nuts so I'm told so I'm going to build it and use a air compressor and plasma cutter just to see if I can blow it up :laughing-rolling: Another guy that road tested it said he got close 20Kw out of the old design so yea with my plan if this works man the world is my oyster :laughing-rolling: where living off the grid has gone into a new dimension.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:02 am

While having thru a local auction site came across this https://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.aspx?id=1719445

Currently $400 and be interesting to see what it goes for, 6 plate 5 Star still with 200 litre boiler and all the fruit and biccies :laughing-rolling:

still.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:22 am

Well still 15 days to go on this so just for a laugh I put my max bid at a grand :laughing-rolling: prepared to go to 2.5K and it will still be a bargain :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

amazing find Bryan
currently at $550:00.
do you think you will ba able to use elecyric Bryan or will you just sticj a gas ring under it :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:32 am

Wellsy wrote:amazing find Bryan
currently at $550:00.
do you think you will ba able to use elecyric Bryan or will you just sticj a gas ring under it :laughing-rolling:

Well mate I'm making a new sinewave inverter and looks like I'll have make it produce 40 amps to run this beast :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Edit: that bid jumped from $400 to $550 when I put my bid on mate
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby The Stig » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:36 am

Don’t forget buyers premium of 16.5% applies to this lot.
That belonged to a member here a while back
Last edited by The Stig on Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:50 am

Yes I do know about the buyers premium as I have dealt with them before when I bought my laptop :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Eh I haven't got my hopes up but eh if I can pull it off one can't complain eh :handgestures-thumbupleft: as 5 Star are the best stills around and my only gripe is the 2" PC but if I can get it at a low price the store aint far away for a 3" one :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby hjubm2 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:52 am

So I shouldn't bid against you Bryan? :laughing-rolling:
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:55 am

hjubm2 wrote:So I shouldn't bid against you Bryan? :laughing-rolling:

Well you can mate and when you win :laughing-rolling: it can be payment for the IBC mod :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:49 pm

Looks like there is a heap of stilling stuff up for grabs so just put a bid on a 4" onion head :handgestures-thumbupleft: got a nice ding in the side which will be an easy fix and this black duck is now like a kid in a candy shop as also found a heap of seals :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby hjubm2 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:10 am

Doing the first spirit run of brandy I stripped a month or so ago, get this cleaned up so I can finally strip the 300L+ of vodka thats been sitting here for a couple months... ... ... maybe I should outbid Bryan on that still he wants, would help speed things up for me :laughing-rolling:
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Postby Wellsy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:41 pm

Watch out for snippers mate, I think there a few in the wings waiting to swoop lol
Wellsy

Postby Wellsy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:42 pm

After all we all know what we need to bid to outbid Bryan lol
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:57 pm

Well finally picked up that 3 phase motor for my sectional bender I'm making and noticed some evap pumps on the shelf for $50 so just had to go for the 50 litre/min one :laughing-rolling: as why buy anything less, handed the guy $50 cash saying it's Friday mate go buy a slab and I did get the feeling the guy was dying to offer me a job :laughing-rolling: But when I told him the only reason I'm working down in town is for $$$$$$ :laughing-rolling: I did ask him about toriods for inverters and he did say can I grab your number as I get a heap of people coming in asking for them. I said no thanks as I can't see my days making these without those toriods and this does look like a nice pricey task as the basic core and I'm going to stack 2 of them as my next inverter build will be a 10Kw one and more.

I am getting there with my yeast stirrer :scared-eek: well was getting bored at work so I had to make something to waste the night's away and of course it made out of SS and all tig welded too as SS is just so easy to weld :laughing-rolling: ( YES prodding the Stig here :laughing-rolling: ). I did find that pancake motor I had in a draw in my shed and 5 rpm is a nice speed as the yeast comes to life. :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm going to make a rake so the yeast has climb over but first I had to wire up the motor to find what direction it went. Now when put some pressure on the output shaft it changed direction :scared-eek: and as it is a plastic shaft it will need supporting so measured the ID and I did have some 10x4mm bearings so thats next weeks job at work making the supporting shaft and making the guard for the chain drive has taken on a new dimension :scared-eek:

Got the rug rats here this weekend so got a few hours kip as for my normal early Friday bedtime aint going to happen so my 5 for 25 Coopers Pale on ice can be slammed down just to stay awake :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby The Stig » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:23 pm

My TIG kit came with 1.6 Tungsten and filler.
I’ve ordered 2.4 to see if that makes things easier , Ive been told it’ll help a learner .
But , I don’t mind saying it’s whole lot harder than all the tutorial videos make it look
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby B-Man » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:57 pm

The Stig wrote:My TIG kit came with 1.6 Tungsten and filler.
I’ve ordered 2.4 to see if that makes things easier , Ive been told it’ll help a learner .
But , I don’t mind saying it’s whole lot harder than all the tutorial videos make it look

my biggest issue was treating the tig like an oxy where if it was too hot I would pull it away like the oxy rather than use your thumb to turn it down.
I thought it was more forgiving that I was expecting aswell. but those bloody pinholes have caused me some trouble! luckily most of them blocked themselves :))

from my beginner stuff all ill say is get comfortable on the chair, have everything how you want. and start it off on less amps than you think. get a feel for it and then slowly turn them up until the puddle forms you can run nice and slow if its only just keeping the puddle going.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit