1 dead 3 critical

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Re: laws up for review

Postby Dominator » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Yeah Andy, I heard on the radio a little while ago more people in Australia die from suicide than car crashes and murder combined. :scared-eek: Crazy hey, I never realised depression on that level was so common. Pretty sad really. :sad:
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Smbjk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:10 pm

Kimbo wrote:There are a few topics on these subjects already, no need to make another one. And lets not get political about it either ;-)
thanks guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sorry guys didnt see the other thread 8-}
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby crow » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:16 am

yeah I'm not unhappy wih the status quo. Yes distilling is technically illegal but unless your selling or giving the law a good reason to stick it to you eg: drugs ect you will get left alone but if that status quo should change i would be willing to offer what help I can to fight it. We all know those guys were not poisoned by moonshine and there is obviously something else going on here. The story included a reference to another great tradgety that that was also ill reported , neither the location facts or even the state it occurred was correct in that poorly researched report. Like most if not all these stories once the facts are discovered the general public won't hear one thing about it and it will get swept under and ever bulging carpet of deliberate misinformation :angry-banghead: . I wouldn't say more ppl die from suicide than moonshine (that's obvious) but very likely more ppl are killed from being struck by meteors while underwater caving than have died by consuming home distilled ethanol that has not had some sort of bodgy crap added to it. Over the years I have seen some dreadful distilling practices and drank some god awful grappa but the worst thing I've ever heard of is terrible rotten hangovers, good methods will not even result in that (not to many commercial labels can make that claim) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:30 am

How many car crashes deaths are suicide.
wynnum1

Postby Dominator » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:42 am

crow wrote: but very likely more ppl are killed from being struck by meteors while underwater caving than have died by consuming home distilled ethanol

HaHa, :laughing-rolling: I am stealing that for my signature.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:15 pm

wynnum1 wrote:How many car crashes deaths are suicide.

I havn't ever read any statistics on suicide that mention car crashes, so the presumption would be that few are. if you are interested in methods they are as follows
for males
Hanging 1,012, Poisoning by other 175, Poisoning by drugs 154, Firearms 130, Other 101, Falls 71, Contact with sharp object 49, Drowning and submersion 35.
for females-
Hanging 261, Poisoning by drugs 144, Poisoning by other 45, Falls 33, Other 31, Drowning and submersion 14, Contact with sharp object 13, Firearms 5

and yes- i am tons of fun at partys
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Re: 1 dead 3 critical

Postby crow » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:02 pm

surprise surprise
Bet this don't make front page
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-10/m ... ection=tas[/quote]
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Recon your dead right about that Crow .

I like this Quote "Acting Inspector Jones says the men most likely died of natural causes.

"Both men had no toxins in them that would link their deaths; one had a blood alcohol reading of zero and the other had a blood alcohol reading below 0.1."

The Coroner is preparing a report but police do not believe the deaths were suspicious.

Not suspicious ???? :?
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Dominator » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:38 pm

Ah well, I guess the mob can put the pitch forks away now... nothing to see here. :roll:
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Home brew deaths

Postby noname4670 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:58 am

Anyway i went onto my LBS website the other night to check some prices on stills and all they had up under that heading was the legal disclaimer so i went in and asked them about it the following day and they told me that they have taken down the still page because of the latest deaths in the media (refering to the guys that died after drinking milky white distilate) they said we are not even talking about stills at the moment we wont talk about them over the phone or anything they assured me that the site will be returned to normal in about a month when this is all sorted out now i find out that the guys did not indeed die of methonol poising from what my LBS says so god only know what they were doing i have never heard of milky white distilate
noname4670

equipment: 58L Weelie bins x2
Airstill x2
50L Stainless Steel Keg
and a whole lot of other stuff

Re: Home brew deaths

Postby crow » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:17 am

Print copy of the report with a copy of the link or send them the link . It's just a media scare campaign. The amount of ppl killed by privately distilled spirits is the same as it was last yr and the yr before in oz , a wopping zero , now how many ppl in that time died as a result of drinking to much commercial alcohol , it would be in the hundreds maybe more all you can do is correct the bullshit when you find it mate ,country is full of sheeple that will believe anything our media throw at them :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Re: Home brew deaths

Postby Dominator » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:34 pm

crow wrote: The amount of ppl killed by privately distilled spirits is the same as it was last yr and the yr before in oz , a wopping zero , now how many ppl in that time died as a result of drinking to much commercial alcohol , it would be in the hundreds maybe more all you can do is correct the bullshit when you find it mate ,country is full of sheeple that will believe anything our media throw at them :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Very well said Crow. :text-+1: The way the media manipulate society is very sad but unfortunately true.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby blond.chap » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Terribly worded article here, comments are good though:
http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/stories/2013/09/10/3845522.htm
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby crow » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:28 pm

blond.chap wrote:Terribly worded article here, comments are good though:
http://www.abc.net.au/health/features/stories/2013/09/10/3845522.htm

Yes Blond chap I was going to post that with some other stuff on here. Although there is some misinformation about the production of methanol the ABC have acknowledged that safe practices for hobby stillers can be found on the net (like us) so it looks like some quarters of the media are moving towards a more informed honest opinion. I don't expect the commercial media to follow suit any time soon but you never know. They follow mob mentality as much as influence it and if there is a shift in public opinion on private distilling then they will be reporting with a bias to that opinion. Its just the sycophantic nature of our modern commercial media
crow

Postby Trigger82 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:01 pm

Sorry to Necro a thread. Ive only just taken up the hobby, but this topic now close to home

This tragedy had just happened about a month before I moved to the town.
Talking to the wife after reading this topic who grew up here, the guy was known for a long time that he did make his own biofuel.

His son and the friends obvious got into the wrong gear (not sure if head made drinkable spirits to confuse against though) She's also pretty sure it was his son that survived but he came out with pretty bad brain damage from the event.
The father also served jail time after the event

So it wasn't an event of distilling gone bad, it was definitely a case of drinking stuff that wasn't meant for human consumption. Aka as others have stated, they were most likely drunk prior and grabbed what was at hand
Trigger82

equipment: Beginner - airstill

Previous

Return to The Dunder Pit