Hey guys, who's been snoozing ?

thread is here
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Recent case of methanol poisoning

Postby snoozer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:27 am

ha, yeah someone obviously :roll:
The guy who has survived HAS had a court appearance for drugs in the past but nothing I'd consider serious (pot).
I feel for his dad who lost his wife to cancer last easter, and now one son with the other one having likely vision problems. Apparently he distilled the spirit they drank.
Knowing him, he definitely isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and it kinda isn't a surprise.
Clearly they were snoozing too!
snoozer

equipment: 60L SS VM 2" SPP 1.3m tower
25L still spirits pot

Postby Brendan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:35 am

snoozer wrote:ha, yeah someone obviously :roll:
The guy who has survived HAS had a court appearance for drugs in the past but nothing I'd consider serious (pot).
I feel for his dad who lost his wife to cancer last easter, and now one son with the other one having likely vision problems. Apparently he distilled the spirit they drank.
Knowing him, he definitely isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and it kinda isn't a surprise.
Clearly they were snoozing too!

:shhh: And they could be reading this during their time of great loss and tragedy...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby snoozer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:47 am

Yeah well I must confess I haven't been hanging around here for a while and hadn't seen that thread. Should have known u guys would be onto it! After all it was on the national news!
snoozer

equipment: 60L SS VM 2" SPP 1.3m tower
25L still spirits pot

Re: 1 dead 3 critical

Postby crow » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:20 am

Here's a link to the 7 news update on this. A much more credible cause has come to light. Seem's these guys were drinking Biodiesel. A very tragic mistake mistake and a bit of a pity the media chose reported it as moonshine and grappa
http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/- ... nt-friend/
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby JayD » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:50 am

As sad as this is, all the information presented in this thread is only speculation once the coroners report is handed down then and only then will we know the truth...if it ever see's the light of day. My condolences to the family and friends, one thing we know for sure is, this is a real tragedy.
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby SBB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:04 pm

They didn't drink the Bio diesel Crow....have another read.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby blond.chap » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:01 am

4th guy survived and is out of hospital, still being reported as Grappa though by the ABC:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-17/alleged-grappa-poison-survivor-released-from-hospital/4759130
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby JayD » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:11 am

blond.chap wrote:4th guy survived and is out of hospital, still being reported as Grappa though by the ABC:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-17/alleged-grappa-poison-survivor-released-from-hospital/4759130

blond.chap, the headlines clearly states alleged poisoning from Grappa. We have to very carefull here to only state the facts ! really the paper is just filling it paper up with a story like this. In reality the paper should have stated " the 4th person who has been poisoned by an un identified substance has survived". imo. and this is not a personal attack on you B.G sadly you just cant believe all that the media presents at face value.
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby blond.chap » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:23 am

Apologies for that, I read it too quickly. However there is a line which states:
"...died in hospital from suspected poisoning, after drinking the grappa on a Ballandean property over the Queen's Birthday long weekend."

I agree that it would be more appropriate to state: "unidentified substance".
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Andy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:05 pm

an update, that's not really an update.

http://www.warwickdailynews.com.au/news ... n/2001588/
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby stilltryin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:18 pm

i just heard on the local radio that two people have apparently died from drinking home made "spirits" on the east coast of tassie at a place called st. helens.
apparently one died on monday and the other today.

i don`t have any other details, but if theres any more info on the 6.00pm news i`ll post it.
stilltryin

equipment: at the moment...only a beer keg..lol!

Postby MacStill » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Yep!

Been wondering how long it would take to hit the forums :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Andy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:34 pm

stilltryin wrote:i just heard on the local radio that two people have apparently died from drinking home made "spirits" on the east coast of tassie at a place called st. helens.
apparently one died on monday and the other today.

i don`t have any other details, but if theres any more info on the 6.00pm news i`ll post it.

http://www.farmingahead.com.au/News/gen ... -st-helens
Andy

Postby crow » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:20 pm

Yes well its not even known if these gentlemen even drank this stuff much less if it caused there death so unlike the media let's not over sensationalize the story before the facts are out as we have all seen done before. The story above for one. Mind you I do wonder what's in a spirit that looks like milk
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby stilltryin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:02 pm

yeah, there wasn`t a lot more information on the news.
just said they drank home brew spirits.
had the usual stuff from the cops..."anyone who drank it should contact their doctor, and anyone with information should contact the police"

i was born there, people have always made their own in that town, but this is the first time i`ve ever heard of anyone getting anything worse than a bad hangover from drinking it.
stilltryin

equipment: at the moment...only a beer keg..lol!

Postby Dominator » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Weather it was moonshine or not that caused it, if the media get a decent whif of it, they will be all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. All this attention from the media is not good for our hobby. Would hate for things to go the way they are in the US.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

laws up for review

Postby Smbjk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi everyone. Have seen that due to the recent deaths in tasmania from suspected moonsine / alcohol poisoning. Laws regarding home brew may be looked at. My question is it is legal to distill in NZ do manynpeople die over there or is this just another case of dickheads not knowing what they are doing. I also have to question a show like moonshiners were people who know nothing about the practice of distillation think wow that looks easy I can do that just mix some sugar, corn and yeast hey presto moonshine :violence-smack:

I know I am very carefull as are all you other guys on this site. Surely more people die from car related deaths each day due to stupidity on the road.

Why cant people research this hobby and learn a thing or two about safety. It just pisses me off that the media sensationalises everything to the point where the few people who know that i brew my own brew love to let me know that people die while I drive a car as they do but they dont tell me that people die in car accidents :angry-banghead:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Re: laws up for review

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:56 pm

there is a bit of discussion about the reviews here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4552

Smbjk wrote:Surely more people die from car related deaths each day due to stupidity on the road.

the scary thing is far more people commit suicide then die on our roads. but hey drop 5km save lives is a catchy slogan and good revenue earning cant really get money from people being depressed. but this is turning into a bit more of a political statement and off topic lol.

as far as i know the laws in new Zealand have been legal, illegal, legal, illegal, and now legal. they have flipped flopped many times.
Andy

Re: laws up for review

Postby Kimbo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:59 pm

There are a few topics on these subjects already, no need to make another one. And lets not get political about it either ;-)
thanks guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

PreviousNext

Return to The Dunder Pit