Quick, hurry, no time to wait... SMS help line

All general & off topic posts go here
Live Chat Is Here

Quick, hurry, no time to wait... SMS help line

Postby MacStill » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:47 am

All too often we're seeing the new guys/gals turn up in a mad panic to get going, even against the the experienced advice here the rush continues x_x

You can not rush anything in this hobby, it's a long term commitment to making something better than you can buy, if not you're just after cheap piss fast and are beyond the scope of what this site is about.

Even worse is the SMS style chat questions that are becoming ever so frequent and repetitive, I'm starting to wonder if the board index is even looked at anymore, or is it all about the chatty off topic nature of the portal that gives it the smartfone feel ?

Reckon it wont be long until forums are a relic left behind because of the smartfone and twitter/FB way of communicating, but I'll be fucked if I want to spend much time sifting through SMS TXT style shit and prefer a more humanoid form of open communication that people can understand.

:teasing-nutkick:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Quick, hurry, no time to wait... SMS help line

Postby peterhobit » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:36 am

Yes totally agree, my goal is to make something I am proud of. I get a kick from learning something new and keeping a tradition going. My other hobbies include all grain beer brewing, salami and sausage making, cheese making, home preserves, growing fruit and veg. They ALL take time and patience, sometimes you make a mistake but mostly it is well worth the effort. + I have lots of boys toys to play with, like my grain mill, my 2.5 hp meat grinder and now my MacStill :handgestures-thumbupleft:
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Postby Smbjk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:43 am

Well said mac. I've found out that patience is the key. So much info and unconditional help here, all you have to do is take the time to read and resarch, ask some imformative questions and have fun the process will happen. If you want a quick fix the hbs might have an option or two :D
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:17 am

MacStill wrote:I'm starting to wonder if the board index is even looked at anymore, or is it all about the chatty off topic nature of the portal that gives it the smartfone feel ?

I think you might have gone close to nailing it there Mac, While the portal does have its uses, it doesn't encourage people to explore the different sections of the forum, or to do their own research and learning.
Id go as far as to say that some would rarely if ever use the Board Index. What the solution to that problem is I have no idea. :think:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:22 am

Is there a way of making the portal only visible to donors?

I love the portal, it's brilliant, but I've also read literally everything there is to read on this forum already...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby kiggsy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:17 am

Wot u mean SMS type questions.

PS how ya make moonshine to get me n mi bros totes drunk.

LoL

# soz couldn't help mi self.
kiggsy

equipment: 2" boka
25L controlled electric boiler
Mac 4 SSG
50L duel element boiler

Postby MacStill » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:50 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Is there a way of making the portal only visible to donors?

I love the portal, it's brilliant, but I've also read literally everything there is to read on this forum already...

I'm pretty sure I seen some settings for the portal that can do that, we had a problem not that long ago where people couldnt see it and I had to reset it IIRC :think:

I agree a lot of the newbies are missing the true guts of the forum, and all the info there :angry-banghead:

I'll have a look at at the portal settings tonight, maybe make it visible to those with 50 posts or more :think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:59 am

Agree with the thrust of direct noobs to the index and not the portal
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby OzKev » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:05 pm

no jk m8, dis 1 can b hard 2 follow 4 noobs :wave:

A bit more serious, as a fairly new coming to the hobby I can see some points from both sides. I think all new players will want to make their first batch and get it in a bottle as quick as they can. That's what Still Spirits works on, high volumes of alc from smaller batches that are on the table the next day. I did it a few years back, and I think as good few of us would have started the same way. Also coming into building a pot still I wanted to get it up and running so I could sample my work as quick as possible. I took cuts from my very first run wash and kept 2L from it and hit it up with a rum flavoring so I could try it as quick as possible.

There are a few good resources in the noobies corner, but to me nothing put it all together. I'm talking about a doco that takes you from step 1 to step n for a still type and a product. I think a lot of newcomers will start with either a pot still or a boka. So a doco that takes a user from a quick rum (or whatever) wash, to a stripping run, then a product run with simple cuts using a pot still. The idea is it will take you completely through your first run as a 1 point reference. It should have some nice pics to explain the theory. Then say a second one doing a TPW through a reflux system. Then a step by step how to build a pot still; and a step by step how to build a boka.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby BackInBlack » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:18 pm

I have to agree with Mac.
I want it & want now & not enough reading.
There's plenty of how to's and info, just got to take the time to look.
BackInBlack

equipment: 4 inch 6 plate FSD still
50ltr keg, cooking on gas

Postby Andy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:09 pm

OzKev wrote:There are a few good resources in the noobies corner, but to me nothing put it all together. I'm talking about a doco that takes you from step 1 to step n for a still type and a product.

everything you need to start is now written up. step by step instruction on the wash, and how to run, how to cut, and how to oak. print out each on and put it together and you have the mega doc- people just need to choose what still they have and oak they use and wash they want. there is no way one document can be produced that will cater for everyone.
get phils boka build and running thread, zaks CWF thread, kiwistillers cleaning run thread, and his cuts guide and your good to go! (and really read the how long can a wash stay? seems like every week someone is asking is it ready, or im going away can i leave it for 2 weeks etc.)

i remember when i started i had read a book on it, and all the info i could find on the forum, BUT i still wanted that reassurance that i was doing it correct. i was worried that i had missed a step along the way and go blind. so i think 50% of the time its newbies looking for a pat on the head and someone to say ur on ur way kiddo (and they usually stay around on the forum and contribute, learn and grow with everyone) and the other 50% are the 3 posters asking a question, getting their answer and buggering off.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:11 pm

OzKev wrote:

There are a few good resources in the noobies corner, but to me nothing put it all together. I'm talking about a doco that takes you from step 1 to step n for a still type and a product. I think a lot of newcomers will start with either a pot still or a boka. So a doco that takes a user from a quick rum (or whatever) wash, to a stripping run, then a product run with simple cuts using a pot still. The idea is it will take you completely through your first run as a 1 point reference. It should have some nice pics to explain the theory. Then say a second one doing a TPW through a reflux system. Then a step by step how to build a pot still; and a step by step how to build a boka.

Something like this ?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby OzKev » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:44 pm

I forgot about the one by Linny. It is a good write up.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby BIG D » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:09 pm

I agree but sometimes I do get a giggle from the above mentioned posts :teasing-tease: But in all honesty if your that keen for a drink go buy a bottle and if you want cheap buy goon then take your time do the research and probably save yourself a shitload of cash and heartache from uninformed decisions. Then when you know the direction you want to head in concentrate on building up quality stock then there's no need to hurry anything. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby Woodsy71 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:39 pm

For what its worth, i believe that this "immediacy" for information is simply a reflection of todays society. :-B

Social media, online everything, instant gratification.

Its the now.

And given that Aussie Distillers is an online forum perhaps this is to be expected. :-?

Perhaps a clear outline of the correct portal etiquette that the senior members, admin etc, expect from new members could sit on top of the portal?? :think:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby bayshine » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:01 pm

mac wrote=I'll have a look at at the portal settings tonight, maybe make it visible to those with 50 posts or more :think:
i think that is probably a good idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:
when i was a newby i didn't know about the portal and looking through the index i found nearly all i needed to know :smile:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:56 pm

MacStill wrote:I'll have a look at at the portal settings tonight, maybe make it visible to those with 50 posts or more :think:

I reckon that would be a step in the right direction Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft: , it certainly cant do any harm.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:42 pm

bayshine wrote:mac wrote=I'll have a look at at the portal settings tonight, maybe make it visible to those with 50 posts or more :think:
i think that is probably a good idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:
when i was a newby i didn't know about the portal and looking through the index i found nearly all i needed to know :smile:

Same here Bayshine . I was too busy looking at all the old posts and getting the feel for the place .Then recently I found the Portal and I find it easy to keep up with most things new and reply's to posts of interest.

While the limited portal access is a good Idea ,it is also the Portal to Macs shop ....so there are issues there I'm sure .

Perhaps the portal could be arranged with a "View new Posts " option with access only available "To members that have read X amount of newb posts" or done a welcome Post .
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby whiskeyshiner » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:53 pm

I been pot stilling for a couple of years now and didnt consider myself a newbie at all but when i found out about this forum i didnt post because i was just reading flat out for two months what makes this board so good is ya can actually find info i learnt so much more tricks in that time than two years on sorting through the cluttered crap on HD. The board is first place i go on the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Last bumped by MacStill on Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:53 pm.
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Return to The Dunder Pit