The G Dropper Discussion

A forum for mashing & fermenting fruits and vegetables

Re: The G Dropper Discussion

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:47 am

1 2, coffee filters made me go a little mad too, so I ended up filtering through paper towels twice. Seemed to clean it up nicely. I found that because the sugar syrup is quite dense, it would only let through a drop every couple of seconds with the coffee filters. The missus couldn't wait the 4+ hours it would take to filter, so paper towel was the winner :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CaptainRedBeard

equipment: 2" SS Column Reflux Keg Still
2" Copper Pot Still w shotgun condenser
Kelvinator Fridge Fermenter

Postby 1 2many » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:50 am

Yeah I tried tissues but found I had to replace them too often and the amount of alcohol absorbed by the tissues wasn't worth it so I am looking for a suitable material that I can use.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:56 am

I use coles brand paper towels, they're cheap and nasty, and don't absorb too much. Not sure on whether they're any better or worse than tissues though, never tried with kleenex...
CaptainRedBeard

Postby Sam. » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:59 am

A cotton ball stuffed in a funnel can be effective :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby 1 2many » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:01 am

I still have some left in a bowl that I haven't bottled yet, I will get some paper towels and give it a go They are probably more porous than the tissues.

Edit: might try that to Kimbo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Muppet » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:38 am

CaptainRedBeard wrote:1 2, coffee filters made me go a little mad too, so I ended up filtering through paper towels twice. Seemed to clean it up nicely. I found that because the sugar syrup is quite dense, it would only let through a drop every couple of seconds with the coffee filters. The missus couldn't wait the 4+ hours it would take to filter, so paper towel was the winner :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: paper kitchen towel in a funnel
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:59 am

Muppet wrote:
CaptainRedBeard wrote:1 2, coffee filters made me go a little mad too, so I ended up filtering through paper towels twice. Seemed to clean it up nicely. I found that because the sugar syrup is quite dense, it would only let through a drop every couple of seconds with the coffee filters. The missus couldn't wait the 4+ hours it would take to filter, so paper towel was the winner :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Kitchen paper towel in a sieve in a funnel gives a larger surface area and prevents a air lock forming so the liquid flows a bit faster. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby bayshine » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:37 pm

ive found when straining the disolved sugar and juice from the berries, to strain it through some muslin cloth, then its alot easier to do a final filter when its all done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby 1 2many » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:39 pm

kiwikeg wrote:
Muppet wrote:

Kitchen paper towel in a sieve in a funnel gives a larger surface area and prevents a air lock forming so the liquid flows a bit faster. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: coles paper towel in a ss sifter did the trick thanks fellas. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:17 pm

I made some strawberry and mixed berry up for my wife last week and i tell you know she thought it was great, maybe too great. I had to carry her to bed after she drank the whole bottle :scared-eek: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I found it a bit bitey straight, but mellows alot with a bit of lemonade. My wife recons it's better than the cruisers she usually drinks.

Great recipe guys, if you haven't already give this one go. The lady's really do love it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bt1 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:30 am

Ah the rewards of patience :handgestures-thumbupleft:

SGD.jpg

Local fruit shop was giving 3 punnets away for $5 yesterday ...could not resist!

1.5lt @60% per mason jar...now to get onto the Lime Vodka and an mixed berry one today.

bt1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:02 am

1 2many wrote:Yeah I tried tissues but found I had to replace them too often and the amount of alcohol absorbed by the tissues wasn't worth it so I am looking for a suitable material that I can use.

I use fryer oil filters, designed for viscous liquids and filters nicely.

They are huge (about 400mm deep) and conical so make the whole filtering process pain free as you can pour a lot in at once. Never had to leave a batch to filter, it just goes straight through.

Wa guys- the big blue frozen foods shop on Great Eastern hwy in Midland sells them (the one with the crab on the roof 8-})
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby 1 2many » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:08 am

Urrazeb do you have a pic or link to this filter sounds interesting. :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:28 am

I could only dig up a used one 1 2. The packaging was plain from memory

img20141109_082527.jpg

img20141109_082549.jpg

Edit: 300mm deep 8-}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Urrazeb

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:32 am

They go hand in hand with one of these but I haven't bothered getting one yet. Ask for a Chinois at a kitchen store for the strainer :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Capture.PNG
Urrazeb

Postby 1 2many » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Urrazeb wrote:I could only dig up a used one 1 2. The packaging was plain from memory

img20141109_082527.jpg

img20141109_082549.jpg

Edit: 300mm deep 8-}

Thanks mate I found them on Ebay. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby FireKitty » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:09 pm

I'm going to give this a go tonight, got 6Xtubs of strawberries @$0.69 each... ;)

Only problem is I only have 40% neutral on me at the moment, so will report how that goes... maybe I can bring it back up to strength next time I do a spirit run, although I daresay the process of extracting flavor might still take twice as long...
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Postby CaptainRedBeard » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:47 pm

FireKitty wrote:I'm going to give this a go tonight, got 6Xtubs of strawberries @$0.69 each... ;)

Only problem is I only have 40% neutral on me at the moment, so will report how that goes... maybe I can bring it back up to strength next time I do a spirit run, although I daresay the process of extracting flavor might still take twice as long...

40% will work fine. Just make sure your strawberries are halved and frozen first :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CaptainRedBeard

Postby Redux » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:31 pm

ok so this seemed like a fun experiment to to do with a wee drop of neutral that was just lying around...

i did a raspberry one.... just coz i like raspberries... :teasing-neener:

the results are amazing. the colour! well heres a few pix of the results.... the bottle is unfiltered, so has a few lumps at the bottom.

pd 001.jpg

pd 004.jpg

pd 003.jpg

:teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:

its about 60abv... and delicious! (with lemonade zero)

:obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:37 pm

I have those jars. Them mason jars are the shit! Graduated and two piece lid :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Drink looks good mate, I make a raspberry version too, chicks love it
Urrazeb

PreviousNext

Return to Fruit & Vegies