G'day fellas from WA

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day fellas from WA

Postby Bobsyauncle » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:20 am

G'day, been a long time coming and have increased my research over the past few weeks. Working away 2:1 I don't really have much time at home atm so I've regretfully gone and bought my first still (copper t500). Once I have decided it really is for me and have more time at home I will deff be building my own as I consider myself a bit of a handyman :D

Obviously I have many questions (most of which would have been answered before so bare with me!
I've read The compleat distiller, newbie corner and a fair few other threads.
Mainly looks like I'll be going with the TPW option atm

Couple of Q's are
* perth is pretty warm atm getting to 30°C inside, how will TPW wash go?
* should I start my wash the day I go back to work (leave for 2 weeks) or first day I get home?

Cheers for all the info in advance ladies and gentlemen :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Bobsyauncle

equipment: 4 plate 4" bubbler with packed section
Copper T500

Re: G'day fellas from WA

Postby prawnz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:26 pm

Gday Bobsya

I reckon your 2 week timespan would be near on perfect , ive done a few TPWs here in the southern suburbs this summer and one of the beauties of this wash is its pretty much set and forget , very forgiving .
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:00 pm

G'day mate, like prawnz said, put one down before you leave, I've had tpw that was 6 months old and it was still good. As long as it's sealed it'll be ok.
Good luck and have fun.
Have you ditched the plastic hose from the t500?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Howdy fellow westy,I would organize ta combine doing your stilling and wash prep on the same day if ya time poor ,on the first couple of days ya back,this will give you a couple of days ta do cuts and keep an eye on ya wash for the first week wich for me is were most problems may pop up,thus letting it settle and clear for at least a week or more wich should give a well cleared wash for ya still.I have learnt in Perth to do the majority of my production at the more temp freindly time of the year,rum loves the higher temps and I do that in summer with good results,some use brew fridges or other air cond cooled boxes ,wich is costly and better suited ta larger ferments of 50-200lt,not something the beginner is usually prepared ta do unless they see the worth in it and have bigger volume required for their needs ,but realize that the better ferments ya do the better ya product will be,anyhoo carry on.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Azza76 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:25 pm

G'day mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Azza76

equipment: 2" pot still shotgun condenser
2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby EziTasting » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:29 pm

Bobsyauncle wrote:Couple of Q's are
* perth is pretty warm atm getting to 30°C inside, how will TPW wash go?
* should I start my wash the day I go back to work (leave for 2 weeks) or first day I get home?

Cheers for all the info in advance ladies and gentlemen :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

Hah, mate I'm in the Pilbara and I do it whenever the need arises! But then we do it in 200L batches now since it's almost fool proof, well, I can make it successfully!! :laughing-rolling:

Oh and welcome, Sandgroper!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Professor Green » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:21 am

Welcome Bobsyauncle.

TPW is a very robust recipe and if you run with Hillzabilly's recommendations, I reckon you'll be one happy camper.

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Bobsyauncle » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Cheers for the welcome
Sweet as! Put a TPW wash down today so hopefully will be all good when i get back :D

Doubleuj wrote: Have you ditched the plastic hose from the t500?

no, as in all or a specific one? and replace with what?

hillzabilly wrote:I have learnt in Perth to do the majority of my production at the more temp friendly time of the year,rum loves the higher temps and I do that in summer with good results

yeah that sounds like it will be the go. The wash has been 28-30*C all day with a fan on it stinking out the house :laughing-rolling:
Rum is my weakness so that's what ill end up making once i get a decent still.
Bobsyauncle

Copper T500

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:26 am

Sorry, the outlet hose, all others are ok.
I cut a small piece of the outlet hose, just enough that it doesn't go past the stainless outlet spout and then wrapped this up in pfte tape/ plumbers thread tape.
Then use a length of 1/2" copper pipe bent to suit your collection point/ height :handgestures-thumbupleft:
This was mine
IMG_6746.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Bobsyauncle » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:21 am

Ah ok, what was the reason for using the copper pipe? More cooling or just not as flimsy? Did it make a noticeable difference?
Bobsyauncle

Copper T500

Postby bluc » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:29 am

High proof spirit will eat plastic is why it should be changed for copper.you really dont want to drink the crap that it leeches from plastic..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 am

bluc wrote:High proof spirit will eat plastic is why it should be changed for copper.you really dont want to drink the crap that it leeches from plastic..

:text-+1: what he said :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Bobsyauncle » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Well then, off to get some copper pipe asap! :text-thankyoublue:
Bobsyauncle

Copper T500

Postby PeterC » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:41 pm

Welcome,
I am new to this as well. Have just started my first TPW, a 50L batch. I have it sitting on a crate inside the bath in my main bathroom. The temperature is fairly stable there, the kids say it smells like a pizza shop, and you can always put on the exhaust fan. I have a 25L batch of turbo running next to it which I will use for my cleaning runs and get practise for the real thing. Biggest issue I had was my incoming water is not very cool and I could not get the wash temperature down. I know I could have used fans and wet towels, but I had a bunch of freezer bricks so I rinsed these in sterilant then water an let them bob around in the fermenter till it was at 30C. It is 24 hours later now the washes are bubbling beautifully. The TPW is sitting at 28C and the turbo at 30C. That is based in the temperature indicating strip. (I tested these and they are not far off the mark.)

Regards,
Peter C.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby Bobsyauncle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:50 am

PeterC wrote: The temperature is fairly stable there, the kids say it smells like a pizza shop, and you can always put on the exhaust fan. I have a 25L batch of turbo running next to it which I will use for my cleaning runs and get practise for the real thing. Biggest issue I had was my incoming water is not very cool and I could not get the wash temperature down. I know I could have used fans and wet towels, but I had a bunch of freezer bricks so I rinsed these in sterilant then water an let them bob around in the fermenter till it was at 30C. It is 24 hours later now the washes are bubbling beautifully. The TPW is sitting at 28C and the turbo at 30C. That is based in the temperature indicating strip. (I tested these and they are not far off the mark.)

Regards,
Peter C.

Hey mate,
Haha yep we're in the same boat. Mines in the laundry with a fan on it and wet towel and was sitting right on 30 till today, down to 26-28 on thermo strip. Was in the main house with aircon on last 2 days but got told off for stinking the place out :roll:

Also read someone hooked up a pipe to the air lock and ran it outside to get the smell out of the house :think:
Bobsyauncle

Copper T500

Return to Welcome Centre