Copper or stainless steel sadles?

Reflux still design and discussion

Copper or stainless steel sadles?

Postby Arismac » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Greetings all,

My 15 month old T500 is up for saddles replacement. Running SS at the moment. Would I be advised to go to copper to further reduce sulphur (metho) odours? If so will 600grm fill the tower, please?
Last edited by Arismac on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Re: Copper or stainless steel sadles?

Postby deryn » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:28 pm

There is no need to replace them. I’ve been using the same ones for about 4 years. Just give them a clean every couple of spirit runs. I use denture cleaning tablets to clean the stainless steel and citric acid to clean the copper.
Last edited by deryn on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deryn

equipment: .
SS T500
SS Alembic Pot

Postby Arismac » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Thank you, Deryn. I have been cleaning regularly but the denture tablets are new to me. I have some and will try them today. Thanks
Arismac

Postby warramungas » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:42 am

If you can and the cost isn't too big an issue I'd put some copper in there.
From running an all stainless still to a copper still the difference is like day and night as far as taste and smell goes.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Arismac » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:33 pm

Copper it is then and many thanks.
Arismac

Postby Arismac » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:45 pm

Local brew shop (removed as per forum rules) have ordered me 600grm for A$90.00 which they suggest is enough. Thanks again.
Last edited by The Stig on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed advert for brew shop.
Arismac

Postby db1979 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:21 pm

I reckon a couple of copper couplers or elbows (from the big green shed etc) cut up into little pieces would be enough. Especially seeing as you're running a reflux. Cheap too.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Magnus » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:52 pm

$20 worth of copper pipe cut into bits woulda done the trick...
Magnus

equipment: 3" still

Postby Arismac » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:10 pm

Yup I agree with you all, I paid way too much. But I am a permanent resident of a wheelchair and have serious CIPM following chemo. Not whinging but I am sadly afraid I can only shed a tear when I pass my much beloved tool box these days. :sad:
Arismac

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:18 pm

If I aint over stepping the mark what is cipm.?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Arismac » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Not at all. Stands for Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy, which means I have virtually lost control of fingers and toes. Most writing is done with the aid of voice recognition software. I use "Dragon".

You will notice I didn't pronounce "N" clearly so "Dragon" thought I said "M". :))
Last edited by Arismac on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Ok. Dam that sux. :handgestures-thumbdown: i dont petend to know what your going through but have two family members dealing with this atm and lost a cousin last year. Keep on fighting the good fight bud :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby StillBrewing » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:50 am

Hi Arismac

I am pretty new to distilling but do have a T500. My last batch of neutral was the best, you could really tell the difference in quality since I changed the packing. If you have a friend or family member that could help you out, have a go at doing this.

I took a load of 15mm copper pipe and chopped it into 10mm round pieces. Each 10mm piece was then chopped into 3 equal pieces and then each one was bent with pliars to make a sort of half moon shape. I won't lie, it took me a while to do but now my column is three quarters filled with it. The rest of the column has the stainless saddles that were supplied, apart from a very small area that has a stainless scrubby at the end to hold everything in.
StillBrewing

equipment: Airstill, T500 & Alembic Dome/Pot Still Attachment.

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:33 am

Magnus wrote:$20 worth of copper pipe cut into bits woulda done the trick...

If you can find a plumber that uses copper they are sure to have off cuts and scrap copper is cheaper then new pipe.
wynnum1

Postby Arismac » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:48 pm

G'day all. Many thanks for your advice. Ran the T500 with a column full of copper this morning. Cost of copper was nearly as much as the T500 BUT it was is really, really worth it.

Cleanest sweetest smelling spirit I have produced. Will now bubble it for a week but indications are that it will be "top shelf". I am even going to make some liqueurs.

Thanks again.
Arismac

Postby virge » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:24 am

StillBrewing wrote:Hi Arismac

I am pretty new to distilling but do have a T500. My last batch of neutral was the best, you could really tell the difference in quality since I changed the packing. If you have a friend or family member that could help you out, have a go at doing this.

I took a load of 15mm copper pipe and chopped it into 10mm round pieces. Each 10mm piece was then chopped into 3 equal pieces and then each one was bent with pliars to make a sort of half moon shape. I won't lie, it took me a while to do but now my column is three quarters filled with it. The rest of the column has the stainless saddles that were supplied, apart from a very small area that has a stainless scrubby at the end to hold everything in.

Hi StillBrewing,
I tried to make saddles from 15mm pipe, I cut 10mm small tubes from it, split in 3 equal pieces. When I try to bend the small pieces they kind of snap in the middle. Did you anneal your 15mm pipe?
Can you attach a pic of your saddles?
Sorry to intrude.
Thanks
Last edited by virge on Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
virge

equipment: DIY potstill

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:24 am

virge wrote:
StillBrewing wrote:Hi Arismac

Hi StillBrewing,
I tried to make saddles from 15mm pipe, I cut 10mm small tubes from it, split in 3 equal pieces. When I try to bend the small pieces they kind of snap in the middle. Did you anneal your 15mm pipe?
Can you attach a pic of your saddles?
Sorry to intrude.
Thanks

How about dropping into the welcome center for an intro mate?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Reflux Stills