Don't have a pot still. How can I make gin with a reflux?

Postby BigRig » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:13 am

If I make a neutral and steep the botanicals in it surely this wouldn't be gin or taste like it.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Re: Don't have a pot still. How can I make gin with a reflu

Postby MaKa » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:12 am

Depends on the type of still that you have.

It could be as simple as turning off the water supply to the RC and just running water on the PC only.

Can you elaborate more on the type of boka still you are running? LM or VM?
MaKa

equipment: FSD 4" Neutraliser
FSD Carter head
T500 pot still with a 2" FSD modular head

Postby BSC_Kilby » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:01 pm

MaKa wrote:Depends on the type of still that you have.

It could be as simple as turning off the water supply to the RC and just running water on the PC only.

THIS.

Then you could use the one-shot method. All botanicals in the boiler. Plenty of people believe it gives a more complex spirit, but some people shy away from it because the yields are lower.
BSC_Kilby

equipment: Big still

Postby Sam. » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:18 pm

BSC_Kilby wrote:

THIS.

Then you could use the one-shot method. All botanicals in the boiler. Plenty of people believe it gives a more complex spirit, but some people shy away from it because the yields are lower.

How are the yields lower?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby the Doctor » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:23 pm

We make all our gin using a reflux still and a Five Star Carter head... could not recommend a better way...this is the best.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby MaKa » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:40 pm

the Doctor wrote:We make all our gin using a reflux still and a Five Star Carter head... could not recommend a better way...this is the best.
Doc

:text-+1:
MaKa

equipment: FSD 4" Neutraliser
FSD Carter head
T500 pot still with a 2" FSD modular head

Postby BSC_Kilby » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Sam. wrote:
BSC_Kilby wrote:

THIS.

If you have the storage space and the patience you can still each botanical separately, hich will often get you more product. I reckon there's an x-factor in what comes across when everything goes in the pot.
BSC_Kilby

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:20 pm

BSC_Kilby wrote:
Sam. wrote:
BSC_Kilby wrote:

THIS.

If you have the storage space and the patience you can still each botanical separately, hich will often get you more product. I reckon there's an x-factor in what comes across when everything goes in the pot.

So how does that mean more yield? Is it just because your not good enough to be consistent with the one shot method?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby BSC_Kilby » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Sam. wrote:
BSC_Kilby wrote:
Sam. wrote:
BSC_Kilby wrote:

THIS.

So how does that mean more yield? Is it just because your not good enough to be consistent with the one shot method?

No, it's because different botanicals have different points at which the "stew". If you put everything in together you (in my opinion) get a better gin, but you will not be able to cut as deep as you can on some botanicals on their own. So you have more useable product. The classic in a lot of commercial Aus gins at the moment is Strawberry gum. It can taste really nice in small amounts in the earlier part of hearts, but very quickly starts to taste like bad guava in late hearts early tails.
BSC_Kilby

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:22 pm

I would have thought the extra time, cost of labour and power to single run each botanical would outweigh the lesser yield....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby BSC_Kilby » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Sam. wrote:I would have thought the extra time, cost of labour and power to single run each botanical would outweigh the lesser yield....

In my experience, its not linear, so that's a big part of the efficiency you get.

At a home level, that extra product won't mean that much, but when the product pays the bills it makes a difference.
BSC_Kilby

Postby Rolls912 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:07 pm

the Doctor wrote:We make all our gin using a reflux still and a Five Star Carter head... could not recommend a better way...this is the best.
Doc

Hmmm. Not questioning your comments but my dumb arse can’t figure out how that would be a better... would a reflux simply delivery neutral to the carter. So if your spirit is already pure, why the step? Versus a pot and Carter...
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby db1979 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:05 am

I think it's because you can then make gin all in one run straight from the wash, no stripping and spirit run followed by the pot run to make the final product.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby the Doctor » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:33 pm

[/attachment]
Rolls912 wrote:
Doc

Hmmm. Not questioning your comments but my dumb arse can’t figure out how that would be a better... would a reflux simply delivery neutral to the carter. So if your spirit is already pure, why the step? Versus a pot and Carter...

Rolls we strip all our sprit then run through a reflux still with a carter head. Ours is a two headed column left side is for vodka the right has the Carter head... this set up has won the double gold for gin at the San Francisco world spirits cup as well as a brace of other medals.IT is a better way to make gin IMHO.
Doc
IMG_3553.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:38 pm

:text-+1:
I too use a Carter head
it is the best upgrade I have made
The Doc Knows his stuff (otherwise he doesn't eat)
Last edited by P3T3rPan on Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby Rolls912 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:28 pm

Yes I agree. Carter makes a huge difference. Still haven’t quite perfected how to use the valve at the bottom of the head to remove oils.
Doc - time saving. Makes perfect sense. It would also reduce your power consumption too. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby BigRig » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:25 am

Delayed response it is a VM boka.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby garouda » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:12 pm

This is my botanical basket. I'm still waiting for some parts. Hopefully the first run will take place around new year. My still can be used as a potstill or as a hybrid LM/VM. The botanical basket will come after the VM valve, like in the Bombay Sapphire still. Botanicals will take place in a coffee bag made of pure cotton. Critics are more than welcome. ^:)^
new Gin Basket.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garouda

equipment: 100l boiler 3" column VM - 6" and 7 plates with dephlegmator (in progress - target, first run december 2022)

Postby garouda » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:54 pm

Mumbay Bombay That's the Question.png
Maybe a clearer overview. If necessary, I could have a 1-metre Ø1" copper pipe between the valve and the gin basket.
To run it as a pot still, I simply have to remove the T fitting, replace it with a 90° elbow, remove the Valve, and mount a shorter column (optional).
I saw a post mentioning a VM Boka. Boka isn't it that slant plates design in which case it's a LM still. I'm trying to combine LM and VM, haven't decided though whether the outlets will be joined or separated.
Last edited by garouda on Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garouda

equipment: 100l boiler 3" column VM - 6" and 7 plates with dephlegmator (in progress - target, first run december 2022)

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:57 pm

Rolls912 wrote: Still haven’t quite perfected how to use the valve at the bottom of the head to remove oils.

You dont have a Carter Head, you have a Gin caddy - They are different :-B Just sayin :greetings-waveyellow:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Next

Return to General Gin Chat