grainfather 70ltr

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

grainfather 70ltr

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:42 pm

G'day all.
Looking to get into the all grain scene and was looking at a 70ltr grainfather. I have a 50ltr keg boiler for my still and thought it would suit my needs as it will match my fermenter and boiler volume. Has anyone bought a 70ltr grainfather ? If so what are your thoughts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
brisvalleymoonshiner

equipment: Copper 4 plate 800mm packed section 50ltr keg boiler

Re: grainfather 70ltr

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:51 pm

Just did a search on this and the price :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: 2K for a electric boiler with an app sheesh just cut the top off a beer keg and mash the way most of us do it. For that price a shiny new bubbler from 5 star will be a cheaper and better option for money :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:49 am

She is a pricey machine. With a beer keg how do you stop scorching the grain if your heating source is via elements. Wonder if anyone can chime in on a build thread or some ideas.
brisvalleymoonshiner

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:55 am

With my keg mash tun I just use a 2 ring crab burner under the keg and I insulate the keg, now when I want to raise the temp I just take off the insulation and use a paint stirrer to mix the grain to prevent scorching. I turn on the burner when the temp hits 66C and it doesn't take long to raise it 2 degrees to 68C then I wrap it up again.

Now when you cut the top off the keg keep the lid and just weld/ pop rivet some flat bar so it can be held in place for a lid. Once the full conversion is done I just use a bucket to transfer the mash into my fermenter grain and all then while it's cooling down I get the yeast starter going when it is close to pitching temp.

To get my strike water to temp I just use a 10 litre SS stock pot and heat it with gas until boiling, by the time I've done this 3 times a bit of cold water will get the strike temp bang on the money then the grain is added and stirred for while then every 5-10 minutes thru the conversion.

If you have a refractometer you can use to see the conversion taking place as the SG rises slowly then after a period of time the iodine test is done to check for full conversion.

If your going to use an element to heat then a BIAB may be the go and although I do have some here I've never used one.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Truxnell » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:20 am

I'd only recommend going the eBIAB all in one if you want to make AG beer as well as washes for distillation.

If you are set on that I'd strongly recommend the 70l guten instead, they are well under half the price and just as good.
Or even look into a crown urn.
Truxnell

equipment: 4" 5 plate glass bubbler
All grain beer equipment - 50L Guten eBIAB

Postby Truxnell » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:21 am

I'd only recommend going the eBIAB all in one if you want to make AG beer as well as washes for distillation. They are overkill for distillation only.

If you are set on that I'd strongly recommend the 70l guten instead, they are well under half the price and just as good.
Or even look into a crown urn.
Truxnell

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:43 pm

i'm gonna have to admit i'm lazy and like convenience. The guten model is probably the go but i'm gonna look into having something built as it may be cheaper.
When doing all grain is it best through a pot or 4 plate still?
brisvalleymoonshiner

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:55 pm

Eh Briz,
If you a step by step hand to make a 50 litre mash tun from a keg just go buy a keg and start a build thread mate. I'm sure I won't be the only one to help you out and eh building something yourself gives you the best feeling when you use it for the first time :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Nathan02 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:21 pm

brisvalleymoonshiner wrote:i'm gonna have to admit i'm lazy and like convenience. The guten model is probably the go but i'm gonna look into having something built as it may be cheaper.
When doing all grain is it best through a pot or 4 plate still?

My all grain mashes have been great flavourwise on 4 plates. Im going to try 3 plates next and see how i like that. Dont heaitate to run it through your plated column
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby Truxnell » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:03 pm

brisvalleymoonshiner wrote:The guten model is probably the go but i'm gonna look into having something built as it may be cheaper.

Hah.. I thought that and bought a Crown Urn 40L and added to it.
Costs went well above just buying a Guten quickly, and the results i got from my idea were inconsistent at best
I just went and bought a Guten and im loving it, consistent and easy results (for beer)

But for distillation, you may find the keg idea the lads do is cheaper, hell you could get by with a esky and a biab bag/voile.
Truxnell

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:09 am

My biggest problem is building things. I'm very handicapped when it comes to building stuff 8-}
I did have a crack at that angel yeast to do an A.G wash. Wasn't super impressed with the result after running through 4 plates. I put it down to the wash contributing to the poor flavour results.
I've seen the 70ltr Guten for $600 and thought the price is bloody good compared to a braumeister or the grainfather i originally looked at. Anyways it will give me something to think about and have a good look into something someone else has built.
brisvalleymoonshiner

Postby FatManDancing » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:01 am

keg K.... no, that is too obvious, let's call it K King have amazing deal that ends soon. I bought it and I am extremely happy

That is kinda the point, No matter what you spend on an electric Brew in a bag (BIAB) system, they eventually all only do the same thing

I would not recommend having any grain milled by your local home brew store so factor in the price of a mill. They will never mill it to where you will get maximum conversion

What it will come down to...

...Just saw the price on the grain father... :shock: :shock:

I am sorry. I know I am being a bit of a jerk but spending $149 compared to close to $2000 to get the exact same result with about the same amount of work does not seem like a no brainer

Whatever equipment you choose to use though it all comes down the technique you choose to employ. Beer brewers having been doing this stuff for years and have a lot to teach us

I genuinely wish you the very best in your brewin -stillin
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Postby Ned » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:26 pm

brisvalleymoonshiner wrote:G'day all.
Looking to get into the all grain scene and was looking at a 70ltr grainfather. I have a 50ltr keg boiler for my still and thought it would suit my needs as it will match my fermenter and boiler volume. Has anyone bought a 70ltr grainfather ? If so what are your thoughts :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yep had the G30 for 5 years and updated to the G70 over 12 months ago for brewing beer and doing an AG whisky Could not be happier. Does 60 litres easy.

Controlled by an app, so you can program stages if necessary.

Great bit of kit, but I am mainly a AG brewer and brew for my son and son in law, so about 50 litres at a time.
You need a winch to lift the basket though

Cheers
Last edited by Ned on Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby brisvalleymoonshiner » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:09 am

Ned wrote:
brisvalleymoonshiner wrote:G'day all.

Yep had the G30 for 5 years and updated to the G70 over 12 months ago for brewing beer and doing an AG whisky Could not be happier. Does 60 litres easy.

Controlled by an app, so you can program stages if necessary.

Great bit of kit, but I am mainly a AG brewer and brew for my son and son in law, so about 50 litres at a time.
You need a winch to lift the basket though

Cheers

Sounds good to me
brisvalleymoonshiner

Return to Hardware Research & Development