Big Green Shed Oak

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Big Green Shed Oak

Postby FatManDancing » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:35 am

On the shelves of of a big green hardware- warehouse are packs of U.S.A. wine barrel oak, you know, for BBQ

Has anybody aged on this wood. I am thinking this might be great as a finishing wood and it is far cheaper than what is offered on other sites

Would love to hear your experience but happy to be a guinea pig
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Re: Big Green Shed Oak

Postby RC Al » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:56 pm

About the only thing I can say against them is that it just says from american wine barrels, it dosen't specify the original source of the barrel, so could be french or american oak, go hard, but it may be random even in the one pack? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Sam. » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:25 pm

I would also want to know if it has been treated with anything...

Burning it for smoke is one thing but soaking it in your spirit is another.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby The Stig » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:46 am

Too much end grain
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby FatManDancing » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:53 pm

Thanks four your replies

Yep Stig, you are right. Too much end grain

Bit of a shame but oak is an awesome BBQ smoking wood and at least the red wine will make the smoke smell pretty

Now to convince my red wine making neighbour to move away from chips, but he is proving very stubborn on that
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Postby BlasphemousB » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:58 pm

I have a colleague in the wine making industry (owns vineyards and a label) had no idea there was as much a demand as there is for used barrels.

He's offered me a few in the past (Pinot, Shiraz, Cab Sav). I recon there might be a hot date with me and the cut-off saw sometime soon.
BlasphemousB

equipment: 3" 5 Plate Bubbler (glass and modular) on a 35L Brewzilla

Postby Wellsy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:38 am

Hey blas
Just don’t make the rookie mistake I did when I was gifted a stave. I got the cut off saw and quickly set about cutting it into 2 inch blocks, exposing heaps of end grain lol. Remember to split it long ways mate rather than cut across the grain. If you look at a barrel you will notice there is no end grain exposed, as has been said before there is a reason for that.
I would have a chat to Andrew at 5 star and grab some of his dominoes, so you can do a side by side experiment. After all the effort we put into the wash , cuts etc a dollar savings for a piece of wood might be false economy.
Keep experimenting and thinking mate it is the best part of this hobby
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby BlasphemousB » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:07 am

Nice tip!

I wonder if the heat of the saw will affect the wood too (you know when you get burn marks on hardwood - this could be just my shoddy workmanship).

I think using a hatchet would cause too much tearing, in effect exposing end grain along the length of the cut.

I'd probably need to cut them into giant match stick shapes I guess.

Lots of saw dust for the smoker I guess :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BlasphemousB

equipment: 3" 5 Plate Bubbler (glass and modular) on a 35L Brewzilla

Postby howard » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:53 pm

i use dominoes from the 5 star store myself.
but when i was looking for solutions to my leaking barrel, i noticed that coopers recommended sanding down any exposed grain to seal the wood. sanding closed the pores of the wood apparently.
not tried it on oaking wood, but it might reduce the amount of tanins leaching? :think:
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Return to Beginners Questions