Ruddy's Malting setup

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Re: Ruddy's Malting setup

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:18 pm

Well took a reading with my refractometer and after several readings it kept saying 1095 :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: so decided to decanter 250ml and cooled the 250ml measuring cylinder to 20C and my hydrometer read 1090 :scared-eek: and the iodine test says it's done aswell so now on heating up some sparge water to get the last goodies out of the grains then I'll transfer it over to my fermenter to cool down :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Just gotta luv it when it just plain works :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:15 pm

Got it transferred over to my 60 litre fermenter and inverted 6kg's of sugar so I could ferment a full 60 litres and got a starting SG of 1075 :handgestures-thumbupleft: the temp is come down to 45C so I'll check later and see if gets down under 30C and if not I'll put some blankets around to insulate and the yeast can go in after work tomorrow.

I reckon I will so the same as last year and go a few generations and still got about 10kg's of cracked corn left and plenty of barely and put each ferment over 4 plates then leave enough for a run in my 2" pot still where I'll strip until i have enough for a spirit run on each generation.

So more fun times ahead then the game of hurry up and wait begins :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:55 pm

Checked the temp when I got home from work and it was sitting on 25C :handgestures-thumbupleft: so sprinkled the US-05 yeast in and gave it a good mixing with my paint stirrer using my cordless and within 1/2 an hour it's bubbling away :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:15 pm

Just saw the moonshiners episode where they malt their own barley. Series 9 episode 9 I think.
Man you make a lote more sense than they do mate, according to them you let the whole lot mate together like carpet and then you grind u0 the green shoots as well as the other shoots as that is where the flavour is lol.
Looks nothing like the stuff you buy from the professional malters perhaps they have it wrong as well lol.
Thanks for the ideas on malting mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:18 pm

G'Day Guy's,

Well with 48 hours clocked up for the week I had a deal going with the boss saying if I finished the side tipper before the other crew I could have a day off since after all it is my birthday. He agreed saying it's 2:1 so best of luck mate :laughing-rolling: I finished mine at 11.30 am and the other 2 guys were still going after lunch and as soon as the painters heard the tipper was moved so they could masking it up. The big boss came out saying that one wasn't due to be done until tomorrow where one of the guys said well Bryan finished his first so why wait around, my boss came out and said well bugger me Bryan you won the bet now have a good long weekend and don't forget to put Friday down on your time sheet for 10 hours mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So finally got up to my shed to see how this ferment is going :handgestures-thumbupleft: first found buggerall water left in the airlock :scared-eek: and when I took the lid off the grains had all floated to the top so duly got my paint mixer on my cordless drill and gave it a real good stirring to get the grains mixed back up with the wash. Then I put my hydrometer in and found it's sitting on 1030 and by the time I washed the hydrometer and my mixing spoon the top of the ferment was full of bubbles :handgestures-thumbupleft: showing the ferment is still going. Put the lid back on and it didn't take long for the airlock to start bubbling away so me thinks Sunday may be the day to run this over 4 plates if it is finished or it will have to wait until the following weekend.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:42 am

Happy Birthday Bryan

Have a good one mate.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:29 am

G'Day Guy's,
Well after testing the SG now for 3 weeks it has stayed on 1020 and this morning the airlock was reversed biased so I have setup the siphon and into the boiler it's going :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now this ferment is pretty thick as liquid goes and man does it have a nice taste :laughing-rolling: , now in order to cure the problem of height for the siphon once I got it going after several attempts I just hooked it up to the fitting on the drain and finally got it transferring :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Gotta head in later to get some sugar so I can get the second generation started with 5kg's of cracked corn to add. Also now it is starting to warm up the ferments should go a tad quicker.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:21 pm

Well man that was fun to get the liquid amber transferred :angry-banghead: got about 30 litres over then the siphon just refused to work :angry-banghead: so in the end I setup my big cone filter with a BIAB and squeezed the juice out until I got the boiler fully charged and just put my BD burner on 7 psi to get things going :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So in for a nice Saturday arvo doing my first AG run for the year and see just how different my still performs as if like last time it blew my socks off the it run :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: but the end result is surely worth it in 12 months time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:10 pm

Well into the run and not long after saw the bottom plate fogging up and yes it was a puke :angry-banghead: so backed off the BD burner to 4 psi to get rid of the puke noticed the plates were still loaded so left it there and found i had to back off the needle valve on the RC to half a turn :scared-eek:

Now the smell coming off is pure barley goodness, now I am going to wait until well into hearts before the D.P. is taken and I'm into a litre now so it won't be long :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Well just took a D.P. and on the sniff test I did smell nuts and man I'm sure this years batch is going to be better than last years. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Anyway before the boiler fully warmed up headed down to the house where the esky is full of 150 lash's goodness :laughing-rolling: and walking back up to the shed one can understand why these burners are called BD as the noise did sound like a jet taken off the close one gets :laughing-rolling: I have noticed my burner doing some yellow flame so after this run time to get the crap off it and maybe a short time on the dremmel to get the air/gas ratio back. I do need to make another BD burner so i can get Steam happening and tomorrow may be just the day as it would be nice to finally get my 1/1/2" still setup for it's maiden run.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:50 pm

Nice work Bryan. Do you do a traditional mash with these mate or do you use Angel yeast.

Is you grain bill50% malted and 50% unsalted barley. Or you go all out and do 100% malted ?

I am guessing with so much malt you go the traditional path as there are plenty of enzymes to break down the starches
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:07 pm

Wellsy if you read this thread then you would see I used 100% home made malt and just did the mash by heating water to 73C then chucking in the malt and keeping the temp above 65C for a couple of hours.

Mate the end result is stunning to say the least so go ahead and give it a go mate, ok it is a bit of work but eh it is worth it in the end,
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:25 am

G'Day Guy's,
Well after cuts ended up with 4.3 litres @ 65% and put 25 grams of freshly charred heavy toasted French Oak in for the aging and now it's time to get the second generation going with some corn.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:40 am

Thanks For the info Bryan
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:31 pm

Ok second generation is bubbling away already and I added 5 litres of backset and 5 kg's of cracked corn then inverted 4kg's of sugar and placed it in then took a reading with my refractometer and 1025 was the reading so inverted another 4kg's then decided to give it a good mixing with my paint stirrer. Took another reading and 1095 :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: so with the water I had on the boil for the next lot just went in to get the temp up to around 26C. The starting gravity is 1072 after topping up with water.

This time I might keep going with the generations and see if i can get hold of some rye to add a generation and get some barely malting and do a small conversion to add to a generation. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:24 pm

G'Day Guy's,
I did check if this ferment was going thru the week and yes it was going off it's tits :laughing-rolling: so today and just now decided to take a sg reading. I found a thick cap where the hydrometer just sat ontop :scared-eek: so got the paint stirrer out and gave the wash a good mixing then chucked in the hydrometer :laughing-rolling: where it just sank :scared-eek: Man this generation is going to be done in 2 weeks after settling for a week :handgestures-thumbupleft: So i need to get to a feed store to find some rye to add.

Now I did add some some baking yeast when I got the generation going to give the yeast bed a few goodies to eat so it can wake up and man it has :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:34 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well had a look at this generation yesterday and it was still bubbling away, there was still a small cap of grain ontop of the ferment and the SG was 996. So after the first ferment stopped at 1020 this generation is going all the way.

Anyway the next run will be my next instal of the neutral as I've done a stripping run over 4 plates time for the second stripping run over 4 plates again then plan for the final run where my still be be totally cleaned and the packed section put in place for the final run.

One of SWMBOS friends has asked for some 90% for making tintures so only the best can be supplied.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:09 pm

G'day guy's,
Well the weekend is here and got the jobbies done early so the fun can start :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Came up to the shed and WTF :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek:

hungry critters.jpg

So note to self don't store grains in a plastic tub :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: as the locals are a ferocious bunch of critters and a plastic lid is no barrier to those tasty corn goodies.

Cheers Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:57 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well not be outdone with these critters I setup a water trap and threw some grain in thinking it would float :laughing-rolling: instead it just sank like a brick :angry-banghead:

So went down to the house and got a couple of slices of bread where I spread around some small bits of bread to give them the taste then placed a slice of bread just above the water line with a SS flatbar placed for a ramp :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So lets see who has the last word as the felines we have on the farm are just fat lazy shark bait and if they saw a mouse they would run the other way :laughing-rolling:

The ferment is down to a bubble every few minutes so it aint far off and looking into my boiler there is a life form growing so time to make more distilled water to give the still a good clean so i can do the second strip of my neutral. Got 22 litres of 90% so that will make a full run and it will be interesting to see what the output is for the final run over 4 plates and my packed section.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RC Al » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:14 pm

jeeze drought must be bad if they are that hungry..

Peanut butter, beer can and a bucket mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:44 pm

This is my setup

setup.jpg

Yea sure to keep the corn grains I put the 23 litre barely bucket ontop of the plastic bucket. Now to give credit to the critters when i did the first generation I did spill some corn and that is all gone so the scent would of kicked in where the rest was.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to The Mash tun