Building a Shotty with soft solder & easy flange

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Building a Shotty with soft solder & easy flange

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Here's a bit of a run down how I build a shotgun condenser, I only use soft solder regardless of all the hype about brazing & other methods.

My easy flanges also only consist of the 1/4" flattened ring soldered on, there are other methods but this is the easiest to keep square & a lot less work than the flaring methods being used by some people. Regardless of what method is stronger I have never had my method break, crack or leak & can swing a keg around on one.

First up is to mark up and drill your end plates leaving the piece your going to cut on, this makes clamping and drilling the plates easier than if you cut the discs first.

IMG_1214.JPG

Next you want to cut the disc out to the inside diameter of the pipe keeping it a fairly firm fit, when you cut you pipe with pipe cutters it leaves a bur on the inside edge that will act as a retainer for you disc.

IMG_1212.JPG

Now to solder these discs in is a pretty simple task, flux the inside of the tube and drop the disc in then push it down with the handle of your hammer. You want a nice flat surface under it that doesnt soak up the heat so I use a ceramic tile on a paver.

Place 10mm bits of solder around the edge on the inside of the pipe once youve got it fluxed, push the solder against the pipe wall with a brazing rod or something similar until you end up with something looking like this.

IMG_1215.JPG

Heat the outside of the pipe with a fairly high flame and keep it moving all the way around the pipe, you want the whole area to be soldered hot instead of just holding the torch in one place.

IMG_1217.JPG

Once your solder is melting & flowing use the torch to steer the flowing solder around the joint, keep the torch moving until the joint is full. If you ended up with a few spots where the solder didnt meet then just flux the joint again while its hot the reheat & the solder will flow & fill any voids.

IMG_1218.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Re: Building a Shotty with soft solder & easy flange

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Now the next step is a tad fiddly, but still pretty easy.

Flip the condenser over and repeat the last step through the holes in your plate.

The third pic in the previous post shows where I filed two little spots of the bur down to allow the discs to be inserted while leaving the bur there as a retainer.

Now your fluxed joint and solder bits are in place heat everything as you did before, use a torch to see through the holes so you can see.

This pic shows a brazing rod for pushing the solder into place against the condenser wall.

IMG_1220.JPG

Before you solder the tubes in drill the holes for your coolant connections, if you dont do this and your bit is sharp it will fuck your whole day by piercing the inner tubes.

IMG_1221.JPG

Now solder in your tubes using only a medium to low heat, flux the whole face of the condenser & the tubes where the solder is to go. By fluxing the whole face should you melt anything unwanted a tad it will just flow and hold in the joint.

IMG_1222.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

So now we want to clean things up a bit, cut off the excess pipe lengths & flap disc the ends to remove any dog balls etc.

IMG_1225.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Next up we can put our 1/4" ring styled easy flange on, this method is understood by most and is discussed in detail elsewhere so I wont bother repeating myself here.

IMG_1227.JPG

Now we can fit our tubes for the coolant lines, be delicate with the flame here and try to keep it away from the other soldered areas, you just want enough heat to melt the solder so it sticks... dont go overboard, slow n steady please.

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

Now is the time for leak testing, DO NOT go any further until you know it wont leak, there's nothing worse than having to pull things apart after a job is completed because you find you missed the leak test thinking "she'll be right" that one time out of a hundred you miss this step is the time you "WILL" get that leak "GUARANTEED"

Now you can put your pre made ring or whatever else you choose on the other end, in this case I'm using a reducer to get down to 2" before continuing the build.

IMG_1231.JPG

All prettied up.

IMG_1232.JPG
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:23 pm

And here it is on it's build, ready for the the 180 over the top and into the product condenser.

IMG_1233.JPG

So I hope this helps all you budding builders out there eliminate some of the problems that keep popping up.

If you follow this guide keeping your work piece clean as you go, you should be able to get through it reasonably trouble free, however if you fuck it up then ignore all my advise throw your piece in the bin and forget this tutorial ever existed :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-neener:

Cheers,

Mac.

ps. it actually took me longer to build this tutorial than it did to build the condenser, so you bastards better appreciate it :teasing-blah:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Good job Mac, very helpfull for newbies :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Don't you need hard solder for the ring join?. Mine smashed apart with soft solder. We need more tutorials like this hey, don't even think theres a liebig one here is there?. Not sure if in ment to post general chat here so remove it if not.
googe

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Don't you need hard solder for the ring join?

Yes, but I also said

by McStill » 08 Feb 2013 13:16

Next up we can put our 1/4" ring styled easy flange on, this method is understood by most and is discussed in detail elsewhere so I wont bother repeating myself here.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Brendan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:39 pm

This is brilliant Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm about to build mine in the next couple of days so your timing is impeccable.

Do you have any tips for the soldering of the flattened 1/4" ring onto the condenser, to avoid melting the soldered plate end (which is on the other side of the pipe at the same point)?
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Just solder the easy flange on as you normally would, as long as you have a nice flat surface for it to sit on you'll be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Brendan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:43 pm

Could do them at the same time? :think:
Brendan

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 pm

nice post. This is going to help a hell of alot of people I am sure :handgestures-thumbupleft: cant wait to give mine another try with this method
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Brendan wrote:Could do them at the same time? :think:

You could but I dont do it that way, I like to make sure the seal on the disc and housing is sound ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:05 pm

Yeah I understood what you ment, I didn't explain myself properly, I ment I cant do the flanges like that cause I cant afford the equipment for hard soldering, thats all.
Good luck Brendan.
googe

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:11 pm

googe wrote:Yeah I understood what you ment, I didn't explain myself properly, I ment I cant do the flanges like that cause I cant afford the equipment for hard soldering, thats all.
Good luck Brendan.

It can be done mate, PM me and I'll explain it... so we can keep this thread on topic ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby tickle » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Sure looks easy when you do it.... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby SBB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Excellent tutorial Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Kimbo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Well written mate, great tutorial :clap: :clap: :clap: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Just trying to help out, been a few guys asking me lately how I build mine so doing this post should help me to stop answering the same questions over n over.

I'll add more when I build the PC for my new rig, it'll be a bit more for the experienced builder though ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby dirtymax » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:48 am

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
dirtymax

equipment: Keg pot

Postby tickle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:59 am

Am I the only one impressed by the disks? How the eff do you get them so perfect? I just bought a drill press to chuck up disks and touch up with a grinder( a real red neck lathe :obscene-tolietpush: ) but this has no center hole for the arbor...and an impossibly great fit! Just cut and file?!? FML! That's artwork right there.
tickle

equipment: 4" 4 plated bubble cap,

Postby Brendan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:37 pm

I just cut the discs out with a Dremel with cutting disk, then just file them gradually until they pop/hammer lightly in :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

Next

Return to Tips From The Workbench