Immersion Chiller / Heating Coil

all about mashing and fermenting grains

Immersion Chiller / Heating Coil

Postby Brendan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:42 pm

Wanted to build an immersion coil to be able to quickly cool my all grain mashes, so that I didn't have to rely on passive cooling in ice baths. Got an 18m coil of 1/2" copper tube.

I made it to fit perfectly in my open top keg/mash tun, and found that this 12L glass container was the right size for what I needed, so proceeded to start coiling.

As well as building an immersion coil, I had this crazy idea that a way to be able to cook up my corn for a bourbon wash, was if I was able to recirculate boiling water through the coil while it is submersed in the mash. Then I should be able to raise its temperature and not have to worry about gas burners or internal heating element which can have detrimental results on bourbon mashes.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Also found I had a couple of small bits of 1/2" coil laying around that were offcuts and I hadn't used for anything else, so I thought i'd buy myself a few extra turns and go all out for a 75 foot (22.86m) coil. Although the 18m would have been enough for an immersion chiller, I really wanted as much coil as possible to use as a heating coil in the mash tun.

3.jpg

Joined them all together, and attached input and output arms...

4.jpg

Gave it a good clean up and sanding
5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Re: Immersion Chiller / Heating Coil

Postby Brendan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:48 pm

The extra arm that you see is a structural support to firstly hold it all together, but secondly to be able to pick it up, as the input arm starts at the top of the coil, so has not strength to be able to lift with. The support arm is looped under the bottom of the coil aswell for structural strength to be able to lift it from the bottom by pulling up with that arm...it's open at the top so that there is no build up of pressure under changes of heat in the coil, but no wort/mash ever gets into it.

6.jpg

Fits perfectly in the keg mash tun as planned :handgestures-thumbupleft:

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brendan

Postby Brendan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Gives you an idea of the structural support at the bottom. The left hand side is the output which comes out and back in for both balance and a bit of strength and then heads up to the top to the output spout...The right is the structural arm to help in picking the coil up and taking it in and out of the mash tun while full.

11.jpg

I found these wicked push connect fittings in Bunnings. I've been using the push connect fittings for the Pe-X high temp pipe, but they also have stuff for copper, so I got these copper to Pe-X couplers which are push connect for both...

12.jpg

13.jpg

Pe-X high temp tubing attached which can handle boiling water through it for use as a heating coil.

14.jpg

Found that rather than having to make anything more complex, the standard garden hose locks into the push connect perfectly, so that made that easy. Hose hooked up to run mains water through as an immersion cooling coil.

15.jpg
Brendan

Postby Milky » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Excellent work! Well done mate! Looks sweet! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby Milky » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Are the push connections you have in the garden section or plumbing section at bunnings? They look really easy.
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby Brendan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:58 pm

To achieve the heating coil idea that Ihad in mind, I need a pump that can handle 100 deg C boiling water. In the future I will look to get a better quality pump, but for now all I had was a couple of the little brown pumps. I know they've got a terrible track record and don't know how long it will last, and some people have been through several in a few months...but it's still going for the last 6 months of use :think:

Wired the pump up with another pc fan speed controller in a project box, which allows me to control the flow rate of the little pump :D

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Works a treat. I'll show the setup and running in the all grain bourbon thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

Re:

Postby Brendan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:00 pm

Milky wrote:Are the push connections you have in the garden section or plumbing section at bunnings? They look really easy.

Plumbing mate, they're for plumbers to easily connect house copper piping as well as the high temp Pe-X tubing in different plumbing applications.
Brendan

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:38 pm

Nice job Brendan

Are the coils soldered to the support pipes all the way up or just at top and bottom ?
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Brendan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Nice job Brendan

Are the coils soldered to the support pipes all the way up or just at top and bottom ?

They are soldered at probably about 10 points up the coil for extra support, and to help space the coils out slightly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:34 pm

Brendan wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:Nice job Brendan

They are soldered at probably about 10 points up the coil for extra support, and to help space the coils out slightly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good job brendan I built one almost identical to yours about 10 years ago and it worked really well from a boiling wort down to about 40 deg in 1/2 an hour, from 40 deg down it is a lot slower so i used ice water in a recirculating system which helped alot.

And the spacing of the coils was a big help overall , if there just left together it wasn't as efficient. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:39 pm

How do these things work from a hygene point of view ?
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Yummyrum wrote:How do these things work from a hygene point of view ?

That is a good question, I used mine to chill the beer wort after a boil so it was immersed in the still boiling wort for several minutes to kill of any nasties before it was turned on and i never had a beer go bad from its use.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Brendan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:02 pm

1 2many wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:How do these things work from a hygene point of view ?

That is a good question, I used mine to chill the beer wort after a boil so it was immersed in the still boiling wort for several minutes to kill of any nasties before it was turned on and i never had a beer go bad from its use.

That is a fair point, and all I can claim is that I use no-rinse sanitiser on EVERYTHING. I give it a good soaking before use, give it a good clean after use nd have not had any problems so far...

Aside from the fact that I sanitise as much as possible, I think there are great differences between an all grain whiskey mash to a beer wort. I know that the sour mash method lowering the pH level does inhibit certain bacterias forming, but I don't see that helping too much in this instance.

The main thing that I think is that a beer wort ferments for what, two weeks? Slow ferments and plenty of time for undesirable bacterias to build up and take over...whiskey mashes are vigorously fermented out in 72 hours usually and I have it already distilled prior to the 96 hour mark. But again, I do sanitise everything religiously, unlike many others in distilling...
Brendan

Postby BackInBlack » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Nice work, love it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BackInBlack

equipment: 4 inch 6 plate FSD still
50ltr keg, cooking on gas

Postby bbqzookeeper » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:13 am

Literally a year later, I did this up just today. Will be used to conquer my AG mashes in cooling.

Didn't have anything to wound it around, so just used my spring to do it by hand.

Ended up getting there, but the first few loops were a bit wide. Found my rhythm towards the middle.

Then I ended up spacing it all out and soldering on some hardened pipe on each side to make handles and assist in the strengthening. My soldering skills ain't pretty, but they worked out. Will clean it up tomorrow and attach fittings.

bbqzookeeper

equipment: FSD Neutraliser

Postby bt1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:52 am

Very tidy and wd bloke

It will be a killa at that length I use a much smaller 4 loop 1/2"'coil for 20 lt beer batches and it's more than adequate.

Love the pump.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to The Mash tun